Thread: not stranded anymore! almost

Vehicle
    2001 Subaru Forester

not stranded anymore! almost

we picked up my tranny today at a junkyard for $75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was such an awesome deal. we had to pull it, but it's all good. it took us two hours and we took with us an oil pump, mounting brackets, a million bolts and other good stuff. i also got a new clutch and i am hoping that by sunday i will be rolling again. this of course means that chris and i can't make the oregon meet tomorrow, but we will be there on the 4th of january!

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Right on:super: glad to see it's not costing a ton of money so far. New clutch makes total sense.

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    I remember when my clutch went out. I was going 85mph on the highway on the way to my lacrosse game. Had to be towed 200miles to get to my home town. Luckly I knew the owner of the towing company (my lacrosse coach) cost me $80 to get it towed. And $600 for the clutch installed.

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    really lucky !
    good luck with it !

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    Yeah that happend last may, I'm glad my mom paid for it all. (so I could afford to pay for college books)

Vehicle
    2001 Subaru Forester
    yeah 5th gear was totally stripped. it was smooth as a babies ass!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250
    You should replace the clutch arm spring if you didnt swap it yet. Trust me for the few dollars its worth it. Mine broke about 2 months after doing a clutch i was pist to have to go through all that work for a few dollar part.

Vehicle
    2001 Subaru Forester
    we replaced everything on the clutch.....the previous owners had an aftermarket clutch on it, we bought a stock one....

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    cool... i went through that with my car... no 3rd, and a slipping clutch! then i put my lude tranny on with a new clutch! i love it!

Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

Vehicle
    2001 Subaru Forester
    I took the car home today and i made it! i am so happy! i have a car that works again! w00t!

Vehicle
    Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan
    Excellent! Glad to hear you got it rolling again

How bad was it to drop the tranny? I'm gonna need to do my clutch sometime
    -Jared

Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 436,600 miles and still going strong!
    Black/Red '04 Honda CBR 600 F4i -256,100 miles and also counting quick

Vehicle
    2001 Subaru Forester
    well when we took the one out of the junk yard it took two hours and we were rushing and cutting hoses out of the way that we didn't need, so i assume that if you're going to take your time and remove your hoses because you will still need them, then it will take a few hours. it's a long process! but well worth it!

and here's a question for someone, now that my car is all fixed when i first start it up cold, it idles at about 1000rpm. i went to the bank, then safeway today about a mile from my place and when i got out of safeway and started the car up, it idled between 600-800 rom and felt like if i didn't give it gas soon that it might die on me. it never did die, but could this be due to all of my new stuff that i put in there and it will go away or what? thanks a lot!

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    amber we didnt touch the engine at all... it shouldnt be anything we did.

this may be totally off base, but if you feel the car pulling once its in gear, like 1st, but the clutch is still in. does it feel like its pulling and the rpms are bogging (like you are trying to go but not giving it enough gas?) anyway what i an getting at is, does it feel like the clutch is let out partially becuase the rpms would start to bog.

anyway it could just be a fluke, go try it right now and see if it idles low or at about 1000. mine sometimes idles low, but usually its way too high.

i wouldnt worry about it, but we will finish your tune up soon, and that should take care of most weirdnesses. also if you give it gas like rev up to like 3k does it return the low idle or does it stay higher like 1000-1200

if this post doesnt make sense its cause i am on a call, and cant focus very well. sorry... maybe others can help.

Vehicle
    1986 accord hb IHAVE A HOME PAGE SEE MY PROFILE

idle

Originally posted by LX-i Girl
    well when we took the one out of the junk yard it took two hours and we were rushing and cutting hoses out of the way that we didn't need, so i assume that if you're going to take your time and remove your hoses because you will still need them, then it will take a few hours. it's a long process! but well worth it!

and here's a question for someone, now that my car is all fixed when i first start it up cold, it idles at about 1000rpm. i went to the bank, then safeway today about a mile from my place and when i got out of safeway and started the car up, it idled between 600-800 rom and felt like if i didn't give it gas soon that it might die on me. it never did die, but could this be due to all of my new stuff that i put in there and it will go away or what? thanks a lot!
    The idle will change depending on engine temp. when you first start it up it will idle high for a while then it will go down