Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a20a3 87 accord possible bad fuel pump

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord ex-i

a20a3 87 accord possible bad fuel pump

I just replaced the spark plugs and i sprayed quick start/starting fluid in the air intake and it started then shut off. I took the fuel line off the fuel injection rail to see if there was any fuel coming out and there was some flue on the hose when i went to smell it to even see if it was the fuel line, but i dont know if thats new or old fuel. i just put in 5 litres or so to help it start. but there was no fuel coming out when i cranked it over so im wondering if there is something blocking the fuel line or should i replace the fuel pump, and if so can someone refer me to a part number, thanks
    Last edited by Stewzzz; 03-18-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Vehicle
    86lxi hatch auto 87lxi hatch auto 88 lxi hatch 5-speed 96 sedanex 5-speed 88 carb coupe 88 sedan carb

Re: a20a3 87 accord possible bad fuel pump

did you check to see if the pump is getting power? Main relay is a common issue

"Weight is relative to power like time is relative to speed"

The main relay is normally a simple fix. There is a thread on the repair .
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by 89T View Post
    The main relay is normally a simple fix. There is a thread on the repair .
    Simple once you get it out lol

Read about listening for the relay "clicks" when you turn the key

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord ex-i

i replaced the pump and she is running now, but it starts a little rough lately like it isnt going to start but then it does so idk whats up with it right now

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX (Carb <--*flame... FWOOSH*)

Fuel filters? Mine were caked to hell @ 190k. Car would crank for FOREVER before it caught.

The filters are 60k maintenance item. The one in front & in back get equally dirty. The front had 2 different diameter hoses going in & out, but any auto parts should have them.

You're gonna kill the new pump if they're still clogged
    Mods:
    - Koni super street coilovers
    - TSW Mallory 4 black rims on 215/55/15's
    - TRW +1.5o camber kit
    - Weber 38/38 with full emissions compliance

If you want to purchase from me, you can pay CC as I use Square and can accept VISA/MasterCard/Amex.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord ex-i

mine is an Exi, so it only has one fuel filter, but it seems hard to replace, i tried to take it off before and busted the bracket on the right side but the filter is still in place, dont know if i should go in and get it done at a shop or what i should do on that

Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch

Those bolts get incredibly hard to crack, the filter ends up moving in the bracket instead. I've been wondering if an oil filter wrench could get a good enough grip on it?

I don't remember how I eventually got mine off but prolly lots of elbow grease and patience

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I used a compressed air impact wrench and it did pretty good. Failing that, just soak it with PB Blaster for a few days beforehand, then use some form of hillbilly impact (https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-acc...llbilly+impact) and be ready to bend the bracket back into shape.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord ex-i

the car cut out on me the other day while i was in traffic and had the pedal down but then it would slow down then speed up every 2-3 seconds, my theory is that the fuel filter is clogging, its almost like the high delivery of fuel is whats clogging up the line, cause it happened after i hit my rev limiter at 5.5k in first gear, it happened in third, but i pulled over in a gas station and turned it off and started it back up two minutes later and it made it home.

if anyone has had this happen or could shed some knowledge that would be awesome, im thinking its the fuel filter but like i said before my bracket broke on the right side so its gonna be hard as hell to get the bolts off it

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Use a ChannelLocks to hold the filter if you can fit it in there.

If you suspect fuel pressure issues, rent a tester from Autozone and check it.
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord ex-i

taking it to school this morning it died just as i got to a buddys place to pick him up, luckly it died there and not in traffic again. I didnt drive it hard or anything, it starting bogging at 2k rpm in second, car starts back up after you turn it off, i didnt try to drive it, i just parked it and left it. im going to replace the fuel filter asap and see if that is the problem

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord ex-i

best way i can describe whats happening is its almost like a water whose in the sense that if u imagine someone pinching the line and letting go, then repeatedly doing that every 3 seconds

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Stewzzz View Post
    best way i can describe whats happening is its almost like a water whose in the sense that if u imagine someone pinching the line and letting go, then repeatedly doing that every 3 seconds
    When the pump let go it could have sent some debries thru the lines and the filter caught it.

You may have to double wrench it using one wrench to hold the base fitting and one to loosen with. When you put a new one on I would make sure none of the lines are kinked in anyway when its remounted.

Always keep it bracketed to the car when loosening but since its broke there is not much else you can do.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord ex-i

holy shit this thing will not come off, double wrench no good, hoping to get some pb blaster

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord ex-i

alright well heres an update, shortly after i posted that last post my buddie got the 17mm bolt off and we got the filter replaced after couple hours of making sure the filter didnt leak (pain in the ass if your bracket is broken)

as i left school my car starting lowering its rpm like it was gonna stall and then it started acting up like i said before, i was hoping it was the fuel filter but that didnt help my problem. I turned the car off and on right away and it started up and got going like normal.

It starting bogging down as i turned a corner that i turned before, so i think it has something to do with the electrical idk why but it doesnt make sense that if it was a clogged fuel line why does it drive normally and start up fine after, it would be a fuel problem.

now the problems i know my car has is
    - the fuel tank has rust in it that i saw when i replaced the fuel pump
    - hole in the exhaust (possibly clogged cat idk its right before or after the cat i havent had a close look)
    - rpm sometimes goes from 950 - 1200 as im stopped
    - sometimes almost stalls when i put clutch in and have to go from third to first real quick like if i have to slow down real fast

seems like this problem also happens when im in second or third gear, it has happened twice when i turn a right corner in second, but like i said when it happens now ill just turn my hazards on and turn the car off while going and then fire it back up and it goes fine. not trying to make it sound like it happens all the time, its only happened 4 times

!!!!!!!!!!!!******PLEASE HELP*******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Are you getting a CEL?
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord ex-i

nope

Vehicle
    88 LXi

alright well heres an update, shortly after i posted that last post my buddie got the 17mm bolt off and we got the filter replaced after couple hours of making sure the filter didnt leak (pain in the ass if your bracket is broken)

as i left school my car starting lowering its rpm like it was gonna stall and then it started acting up like i said before, i was hoping it was the fuel filter but that didnt help my problem. I turned the car off and on right away and it started up and got going like normal.

It starting bogging down as i turned a corner that i turned before, so i think it has something to do with the electrical idk why but it doesnt make sense that if it was a clogged fuel line why does it drive normally and start up fine after, it would be a fuel problem.

now the problems i know my car has is
    - the fuel tank has rust in it that i saw when i replaced the fuel pump
    - hole in the exhaust (possibly clogged cat idk its right before or after the cat i havent had a close look)
    - rpm sometimes goes from 950 - 1200 as im stopped
    - sometimes almost stalls when i put clutch in and have to go from third to first real quick like if i have to slow down real fast

seems like this problem also happens when im in second or third gear, it has happened twice when i turn a right corner in second, but like i said when it happens now ill just turn my hazards on and turn the car off while going and then fire it back up and it goes fine. not trying to make it sound like it happens all the time, its only happened 4 times

!!!!!!!!!!!!******PLEASE HELP*******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rusty gas tank will really plague you will all kinds of running problems. Sorry its not that easy a fix.

On the quick I would change out the coil and try that. For some reason a person on here reported when he turned sharp his car would cut out and it was the coil. Its cheaper and easier than a gas tank.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord ex-i

the ignition coil? not the best with cars but just wondering, how would that save the problem if thats what starts the car? the car starts fine

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord ex-i

the pgm-fi light just came on when i went out to start the car, hoping that helps tell me theres a real problem

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Change out the distributor cap and rotor. Check all spark plug wires thoroughly to make sure they're not cracked.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord ex-i

wires are good, and i cleaned the throttle body and idle air control valve, the throttle position sensor is impossible to get off so i left it. i took it for a drive and i didnt notice the car doing its little erk jerk thing when i was in the low gears and low rpms (i say that b/c i dont know exactly whats wrong or whats happening).

it did however almost stall at a stop sign. Went from 1100 to like 600 and back up. the muffler has an exhaust before the cat, i was wondering if it is because of that, that it is fucking up.

i heard from a friend that the backpressure could have an effect on it

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

the pgm-fi light just came on when i went out to start the car, hoping that helps tell me theres a real problem
    What was the code?
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord ex-i

i never looked at the code i didnt know how to look at it at the time but after i cleaned my iac and throttle body it seemed to reset my ecu, last code it put out was code 6, but now it isnt putting out shit all. it idles at 1100 rpm though.

Im wanting to clean the gas tank but idk what to clean it with.

apple cidar vinegar?
    muriatic acid?

im aiming to spend as little as possible and to get it cleaned asap. if anyone could give some tips on the cleaning of the gas tank that would help immensely!