Thread: Will 4th gen coilovers fit struts for the 3rd gen?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord

Will 4th gen coilovers fit struts for the 3rd gen?

will the fourth gen coilovers fit struts made for the third gen?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Originally posted by DROPPED88
    will the 4th gen accord struts bolt up to are cars? if they do i want to get the tokico struts and racer design coilovers
    I can tell you their is absolutley 100% no way they can be used. And that means full bodied coilover's ment for the 4th gen's can't be used either. 90-97 accord sleave type coilovers however, can and have been used. It's a shame cause Tokico H.P. struts are to soft for use with stiffer lowering coilovers/springs. Illumina's would be the way to go,...oh well.
    You asked about 4th gen sturts and my answer to that post included the above responce.

As I said before, 90-97 accord sleave type coilovers can be used on the 3rd gen accord. Several members are in fact using them.
    However do not use the skunk2 one's, they come with springs that are way to stiff to run unless your willing to invest in struts that are revalved to be stiffer than even koni's. And they come with front springs that will only allow you to drop about 1.5" in the front.

BTW, DropZone coilovers are also to stiff to run with even standard Koni's, they need revalved Koni's or Bilstein's.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord
    ok thanks

LX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord LX-i
    i put coilovers that fit civics, crx's, and intergras on my accord... works fine for me... with just a little custom modding... the ride is fine for being on the ground.
    Mods:
    90/91 CRX Si Wheels on Yokohama's, HP Racing 4'' oval exhaust, Arospeed Coilovers (0-4" drop, slammed at about 3.5" now), Modified Integra Short Ram Intake, Clear Front Bumper Lights(wired on w/ hyperwhite bulbs), Sidemarkers, White Interior Trim(Console, Vents, Handles, etc...), Removed Emblems, Type-R shift knob, Aiwa CD Deck, Sony Xplod 6x9's

17.06 @ 80.9 mph

http://www.cardomain.com/id/slammedlxi

LXi User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord DX Hatchback 5 Speed
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB

As I said before, 90-97 accord sleave type coilovers can be used on the 3rd gen accord. Several members are in fact using them.
    However do not use the skunk2 one's, they come with springs that are way to stiff to run unless your willing to invest in struts that are revalved to be stiffer than even koni's. And they come with front springs that will only allow you to drop about 1.5" in the front.

QUOTE]

Not entirely true. The 90-97 accord kit includes 4 800-250-010 springs. that's 8" with 2.5" I.D. , 10kg/mm rate (approx 550lb/inch) With them set to max low and koni struts the performance is not all that bad, because the springs are quite stiff the drop is about 1" to 1 1/2". Now I would agree that the tokicos in the rear with the same springs are hard pressed.
    I'm looking at getting two 600-250-008 skunk2 springs for the
    front 6" , 2.5" I.D. , 8kg/mm (440lb/inch), this will soften up the rate as well as allow the drop to go up to 2" more, but I only want another 1" or so. skunk2 sells 5",6",7" and 8" springs in 6kg/mm, 8kg/mm, 10kg/mm, and 18kg/mm. The various kits they sell offer different combos of springs. I'm very pleased with the overall ride I've got now not counting the lack of drop in the front. The konis are holding up to the task, the tokicos are somewhat over the edge of their abilities, but there is not a whole lot of bounce, no doubt a set of konis in the back would help and I think that konis all around could be all that's needed. Going the revalved route would be an additional plus, but not actually necessary. That of couse is my experience after 4 days, things are gonna change with time. But to say the skunk2s don't ride without revalved bilsteins/konis just is not the case.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    let me add here that my koni's are adjusted 1 turn off full soft with 1 whole turn towards stiff remaining so I could do 1/2 to 3/4 more towards stiff and get additional damping from them.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by doug

Not entirely true. The 90-97 accord kit includes 4 800-250-010 springs. that's 8" with 2.5" I.D. , 10kg/mm rate (approx 550lb/inch) Now I would agree that the tokicos in the rear with the same springs are hard pressed.

I'm very pleased with the overall ride I've got now not counting the lack of drop in the front. The konis are holding up to the task, the tokicos are somewhat over the edge of their abilities, but there is not a whole lot of bounce, no doubt a set of konis in the back would help and I think that konis all around could be all that's needed. Going the revalved route would be an additional plus, but not actually necessary. That of couse is my experience after 4 days, things are gonna change with time. But to say the skunk2s don't ride without revalved bilsteins/konis just is not the case.
    Even Gordon at Koni does not agree with what your saying.
    Your willing to accept things you should not accept. I ran Koni's on springs that were HALF as stiff as what your running. And even then I found that I wanted MORE strut power. Your asking the Koni's to operate WAY out of what they were designed for. I spoke with Gordon at Koni a long time when I was mapping out my plan's for revalveing struts. I told him I wanted to run stiffer than normal Ground-controls, 400lbs front and 325lbs rear. His comment was "oh yeah, you'll want to revalve them" In the end I revalved the Bilstien's since they were allready off the car and I wanted to try them out before hand.

Your car should never ever bounce for any reason. It should accept bumps while cornering and not effect the attitude of the car, no side stepping. When you encounter really ruf pavement the spring/strut combo should never let things get out of hand or chatter. As you've pointed out, you've only got 4 day's on the set up. I waited a couple weeks before I commented on the revalved Bilstien's. I took the car on purpose over a varitey of road condtion's. I finished my evaluation by taking the car on a 30 plus foot hill run where my goal was to deliver as to evaluate how the struts performed in the most demanding way. I was either 100% into the throttle or 100% into the brakes. What I did was real world, not some smooth well maintained road. I they didn't measure up you can bet I would not recommend them at all.

This is a picture of the road I test and evaluate struts on.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

LXi User
    Vehicle
    I kinda knew this was gonna happen. I'm happy with it, you're not. I experience the ride, you don't. I don't know shit, you know everything. I can try to relate my real world experience, but it's a delusion. Fine, no more suspension stuff from me cause obviously I'm clueless.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by doug
    let me add here that my koni's are adjusted 1 turn off full soft with 1 whole turn towards stiff remaining so I could do 1/2 to 3/4 more towards stiff and get additional damping from them.
    Koni special's are only adjustable for rebound, not compression.
    Your asking and exspecting those struts to offer you performance level's that is in the upper limit's of what the KONI SPORT strut is designed for, not Koni reds (Sports are said to be able to handle up to a 600lbs spring rate before revalving is needed). The fact that your telling me you haven't maxed them out for rebound control tell's your experiencing things you should not except or don't realize yet. The Koni special's are great struts, but you have to realize they do have their limit's.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by doug
    I kinda knew this was gonna happen. I'm happy with it, you're not. I experience the ride, you don't. I don't know shit, you know everything. I can try to relate my real world experience, but it's a delusion. Fine, no more suspension stuff from me cause obviously I'm clueless.
    It doesn't take a brain doctor to examine the facts. If I told you my 100hp 3000lbs car did the 1/4 in 15sec, you wouldn't need to ride in the car to know I was wrong,.....would you.

And I suppose a trained technition employeed at Koni's don't know jack either. Nothing wrong with tellin how you feel. I'm telling you the fact's don't support your feeling's on several different front's. I get allot of pm's and email's that you don't see, their are thing's other member's tell me that give me further reason to say what I'm saying,...people running Koni's with ground-controls. Why would I get a pm from a member running Koni's with ground-controls asking about being able to use Koni sports ment for another honda?