Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowered problems galore

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe

Lowered problems galore

I've put suspension tech 2" with konis front and tokicos rear (and rear knuckle/upper arms/wheel cylinders) for the pass 3 days.

Problems:
    1) The rears on the passenger side looks okie, but the drivers side is reaalll low (rubbing on my 14s).
    2) Clanks and squeaks on both rears (might be the dead coils against each other).
    3) Front konis with 2" drop is now sitting higher than my stock suspension!!!!

I'm too tired to think about it now..help from experienced ppl is appreciated thanks

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp

Re: Lowered problems galore

Originally posted by anchovies
    I've put suspension tech 2" with konis front and tokicos rear (and rear knuckle/upper arms/wheel cylinders) for the pass 3 days.

Problems:
    1) The rears on the passenger side looks okie, but the drivers side is reaalll low (rubbing on my 14s).
    2) Clanks and squeaks on both rears (might be the dead coils against each other).
    3) Front konis with 2" drop is now sitting higher than my stock suspension!!!!

I'm too tired to think about it now..help from experienced ppl is appreciated thanks
    Did you do suspesion work on the offending rear side not relating to installing the springs/sturts?

Did you reinstall the plastic spring covers on the rear springs?

On the front, is it equal on both sides? Did you make sure that the struts are properly seating in the pinch fork's? Are the springs properly seating into the rubber cups in the upper sturt mounts?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe

Re: Re: Lowered problems galore

Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
    Did you do suspesion work on the offending rear side not relating to installing the springs/sturts?
    No, both sides got the same treatment (knuckles and upper arms). Although I think this might be the lip on the drivers side that's making it look worst. But even on stock suspension, the driver side is lower than the other side (this is whats driving me crazy, I always thought it was the suspension that was doing it).

Did you reinstall the plastic spring covers on the rear springs?
    Plastic spring covers? You mean upper spring seat? Then yes, together with the upper mount, bushings (w/ inner cylinder), washer ...etc and also lower rubber seat

On the front, is it equal on both sides? Did you make sure that the struts are properly seating in the pinch fork's? Are the springs properly seating into the rubber cups in the upper sturt mounts?
    Need to check these when the sun comes up.

thanks

Banned
    Might just be bad quality springs!!!

Nate.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Okie took the fronts out today, besides the top strut nut not really low (tighter down) enough, everything else sits correctly.

Anyone running Suspension Techniques SpeedTech 2" springs? Does the front need time to settle? How much drop initially fresh when on?

I hope Nate is wrong but shit does happen and lately to me

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    What issues do you still have?

Do you have ANYTHING in the trunk?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
    What issues do you still have?

Do you have ANYTHING in the trunk?
    Yeah, let me see. Jack, jack stands, knuckle, old suspension, some tools .
    I know it's somewhat heavy, but I still don't understand the difference in drop for the rear (compare both rears and compare rears to fronts). I'll take the rears off tomorrow and compare them side by side. As for the fronts, it's off the car for now. I need to borrow a "wedge" thing to yank the suspension back in.

PS: No spring compressor (clamp style) will work when trying to compress aftermarket lowering springs. The dust boot will not clear it. At least this is true for the 3 spring compressors I tried.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    You shouldn't need one to put the suspension back together, especially with 2" drop springs. If you have another person all you do is put all the parts together and place something under the suspension to allow you to comress is and then have another person slowly lower that corner of the car as you guide the raiseing strut rod through the strut mounts and when you get a couple thread past the top of the strut mount you catch a few threads of the strut nut and tighten it down and your done, repeat for each corner.

Do you have any pics of how the car is sitting?

Vehicle
    '73 Datsun 240Z/'91 300ZXTT
    This is making me rethink using S/T springs on mine. Keep us posted. Who else has these springs? Also, is it possible they sent you 2" drop springs designed for some other car?
    KaMi's 1988 Honda Accord LX-I 5-Spd Hatch
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

Pls help me fellas!

Hi guys,
    Man I really need toknow what the deal is w2ith these springs, there sitting in my room and need to know if you got springs for some other car by accident or could they just be bad springs???
    Should I return mine and get the sprint springs for the 2.25 inch drop? Jim, what do you think about all this and about me exchanging them? Does NOPI accept exchanges? Or should I just try my luck and try the springs I have? BTW are they a silver color? That's what color I have, and Jim can you pls tell me what springs Mike used to drop his car?/
    Thanks alot fellas.
    Jay
    Night Rida

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Yeah it's silver.

DX User
    Vehicle
    2003 Nissan 350Z/2002 GMC Envoy SLT/1986 Accord EXi
    I have the ST Speedtech Springs on my Accord and have not had any problems.
    Major modifications include:
    JDM Accord B20A engine swap
    89 SEi rear disc conversion
    3geez member since Aug 18, 2000

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle

Re: Pls help me fellas!

Originally posted by Night Rida
    Hi guys,
    Man I really need toknow what the deal is w2ith these springs, there sitting in my room and need to know if you got springs for some other car by accident or could they just be bad springs???
    Should I return mine and get the sprint springs for the 2.25 inch drop? Jim, what do you think about all this and about me exchanging them? Does NOPI accept exchanges? Or should I just try my luck and try the springs I have? BTW are they a silver color? That's what color I have, and Jim can you pls tell me what springs Mike used to drop his car?/
    Thanks alot fellas.
    Jay
    If I were you I'd wait a bit and see what's up with anchovies issues. Even if nopi will exchange the springs paying to ship them back may be expensive. In the 2002 S/T catalog I have, the speed tech springs are painted silver. Mr89accordlxi aka Mike, has sprint springs on his car. I've used S/T springs in the past and had no problems.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Originally posted by AccordEXI
    I have the ST Speedtech Springs on my Accord and have not had any problems.
    Can you please help me out and count the number of coils for the front springs. You should be able to count it by just jacking up the car. Thanks. Did it take you some time for the springs to settle?

Vehicle
    87 Accord LX
    Im not sure if it takes time to settle. I got twelve coils up front and their also painted silver. I have no problems with them. I got some pics of them.https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8914

I'll try to take some close-ups tonight of the gaps both front and rears. This seems like its now being a problem. Arent the springs 2.25 drop?
    Rooz
    That's my other "car" on the avatar, my Dash-8

DX User
    Vehicle
    2003 Nissan 350Z/2002 GMC Envoy SLT/1986 Accord EXi
    Like AccordSiR posted, I count 12 coils up front as well and 11 for the rear. I had no noticable settling.
    Major modifications include:
    JDM Accord B20A engine swap
    89 SEi rear disc conversion
    3geez member since Aug 18, 2000

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Originally posted by AccordSiR

Arent the springs 2.25 drop?
    No they are supposed to be 2.0" front 1.90" rear. But it seems more like -1.5" (negative for higher than stock) front 2.5" rears (for me at least)

Did you guys measure the before (stock) and after height (front and back) after the install?

Vehicle
    87 Accord LX
    No i'm sorry, i dont have the before an after measurements.
    Rooz
    That's my other "car" on the avatar, my Dash-8

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    YES I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!
    After some thinking time before I sleep and somemore on the toilet seat, I woke up eureka this evening. Hypothesis and preliminary experiment results were very positive. Rest of experiment will be done finished this weekend
    This should be it (and I feel rather dumb ass). Won't tell till I finish it this weekend. Adds to the suspense

And Night and the rest who are worried about the ST springs, it is fine, don't worry about it.

Vehicle
    98 Av6 3oh
    tell us now or your dead fish man.

hahaha

Did you leave a clamp of some sort on the springs making them even more compressed? or something as equaly dumb?

-Travis-

Vehicle
    1991 Eclipse GSX AWD TURBO
    my guess is that he had the rear springs in the fronts and vice versa.. hahahahahaha but just a guess..

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock!
    [email protected] Englishtown, 4/24/04
    2005 It's 12's or bust!! All BOOST all the time!

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by turfnnsurf
    my guess is that he had the rear springs in the fronts and vice versa.. hahahahahaha but just a guess..
    Not possible, front and rear springs have totally different outside diameters. It's like 2 1/2" front diameter and 3" rear diameter. Coilovers do use the same diameter springs front to rear. And other honda cars do use different diameter springs
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

Vehicle
    98 Av6 3oh
    Whats your guess jim

-Travis-

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    That he's got the front lower spring cups installed upside down.

Vehicle
    98 Av6 3oh
    hahahaha actually thats probably it!

-Travis-