Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forgot to do this

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

Forgot to do this

Guess I never posted here when I first joined

Got this EFI 86 LXi Automatic last September for $600, 140XXX Miles

Needed a new starter so I got one and it ran fine, but the teeth on the torque converter were torn up because the last starter's case broke and the previous owner kept grinding the teeth. So that quickly chewed up the new starter and I replaced the TC and the starter again. Then it idled really low with a lot of missing, just adjusted the throttle cable. Did a timing belt & tensioner job, new valve cover gasket and drive belts. Broke a spark plug in the head so now Cylinder 3 has a plug in a thread sleeve sitting all cockeyed, but it works (New plugs and wires, cap and rotor). Stopped missing so bad, the old plugs had closed themselves somehow. Had an issue of dying while driving around, prominently after a turn. Opened up the distributor and had a few table spoons of rust dust fall out, tried to rebuild it but it was so gone I just replaced it ($237, Ouch).

De-studded the snow tires it came with and sold the aftermarket ones to make a quick buck (a rear one was really bent anyways). They looked good to me but they were so friggin heavy, both rear upper ball joints are out and the front ones are on their way. Looks like this now

The car looks lifted because it's on a center post lift, I just hadn't lowered it all the way to the ground in the pictures

Got an '89 parts car a couple weeks ago, currently parting it out but I'm going to swap the 5 Speed into this '86, gonna be fun!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Forgot to do this

The old rims look so sporty! But I understand about the weight thing. Heavy wheels are a drag, especially if you have really low profile tires and are afraid of hitting potholes.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i coupe; 91 Accord LX sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Fixedit View Post
    Broke a spark plug in the head so now Cylinder 3 has a plug in a thread sleeve sitting all cockeyed,...
    So, what do you plan to do about the broken plug?
    1988 Accord LX-i 2-door coupe, 205K miles, updated 1/4/18.

LXi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    The old rims look so sporty! But I understand about the weight thing. Heavy wheels are a drag, especially if you have really low profile tires and are afraid of hitting potholes.
    What "weight thing"? Also, can't understand your logic/thinking. You seem to be implying the "old sporty rims", presumably the ones in the top photo, are heavier than the ones (OEM steel wheels) in the second photo. Is that what your're saying? He said nothing about the wheels or a weight factor. He also said nothing about tire profile, so ... puzzled by your comments.

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

I'm sure he was inferring, completely accurate as well. I did mention they were heavy. The fact that they wear out suspension components is just something we all understand with experience.

About the spark plug, I just drilled out the hole and tapped it. Then installed a thread sleeve for the plug, but it went in a little off center. I tried buying a reman head but it was junk so I sent it back

LXi User
    Vehicle

I'm sure he was inferring, completely accurate as well. I did mention they were heavy.
    You said:
    De-studded the snow tires it came with and sold the aftermarket ones to make a quick buck ...
    "ones" was used as a pronoun and pronouns are substitutions for nouns *preceding* the pronoun, when used correctly. When you used "ones" in the sentence, you had said nothing about wheels preceding the usage of ones as a pronoun. "ones" appears to refer to tires, not wheels, since tires were mentioned prior to using ones as a pronoun. That's why I missed the meaning of your sentence upon first reading of it and then posting my previous reply.

I did mention they were heavy.
    Hmm, aftermarket wheels are usually aluminum alloys and, therefore, are lighter than OEM steel wheels. I recently bought a set of alloy wheels and they were noticeably lighter than the original steel wheels. So, why were your aftermarket wheels heavier than steelies?

The fact that they wear out suspension components is just something we all understand with experience.
    So, all aftermarket wheels abnormally wear out suspension components? Is that right?
    Last edited by derolph; 04-12-2015 at 11:11 AM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Interesting color, I liked those aftermarket wheels too. It looks like it has a chrome rocker molding in the first pic? Never saw one so it must be the lighting.
    Welcome!

Vehicle

delroph, I apologize for my errors and my generalizations. In my case alone, the aftermarket rims were 17", the stock being 13". There was a lot more rim and tire compared to the stock wheels. I liked them a lot too but I was hurting for money.

Yeah the rocker is body color, the picture shows a glare on it from the lights.

Vehicle
    86 Accord DX four-door sedan

"De-studded the snow tires it came with and sold the aftermarket ones to make a quick buck (a rear one was really bent anyways). They looked good to me but they were so friggin heavy, both rear upper ball joints are out and the front ones are on their way. Looks like this now"

Glad I didn't do so well in (language arts), I knew what you where saying

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by derolph View Post
    You said: "ones" was used as a pronoun and pronouns are substitutions for nouns *preceding* the pronoun, when used correctly. When you used "ones" in the sentence, you had said nothing about wheels preceding the usage of ones as a pronoun. "ones" appears to refer to tires, not wheels, since tires were mentioned prior to using ones as a pronoun. That's why I missed the meaning of your sentence upon first reading of it and then posting my previous reply.

Hmm, aftermarket wheels are usually aluminum alloys and, therefore, are lighter than OEM steel wheels. I recently bought a set of alloy wheels and they were noticeably lighter than the original steel wheels. So, why were your aftermarket wheels heavier than steelies?

So, all aftermarket wheels abnormally wear out suspension components? Is that right?
    Geez derolph it all seems to sound more like math problems to me, ones-weights-geometry-additions & subtractions...logic
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 04-13-2015 at 03:42 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Ok to talk about the car again in this post? just wanted to say it looks great and it seems you have the expertise to make improvements. Good find and good luck. Jealous of your impending 5 speed conversion. I cannot find a manual transmission that isn't trashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    89 Accord LX
    270k miles
    We've nicknamed it "The Time Machine"

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Also, if that's the shop behind your house, I'm really jealous.

89 Accord LX
    270k miles

Vehicle

Haha thanks ryan427, and yeah I got lucky. Also that's where I work, I get access after hours (so nice).

Currently I have just about every part but the transmission for the swap stored in my trunk. Need to finish resealing the '78 Civic's fuel tank, scrap the rest of the parts car, and order the trans rebuild kit before the magic happens. Planning on doing the little bits here and there (pedal box, remove trim etc.) after work over the course of week and completing the swap over a weekend. Just a lot of stuff going on at the same time and it's really hectic, but fun.

Also, I'm now distracted by rims. I really want these;

TRMotorsport C1 Light Grey Painted

But I shouldn't spend that money quite yet...ahhhhh all I need is the right lotto ticket

Vehicle
    86 Accord DX four-door sedan

"Also, I'm now distracted by rims. I really want these" Them rims look great and only 12.8lbs also

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

I like those rims too. I wonder if they make any that will fit our cars... lug pattern that is. If there is any way you'd take pictures of the transmission swap, that'd be awesome. I am wanting to swap the one in my LX this year. I just can't justify the expense right now (and like I mentioned before I can't find one in good condition) because my AT operates flawlessly.

These cars are keepers. They're fun to tinker with. Happy for ya.

89 Accord LX
    270k miles

Vehicle

Sure I'll try and document the swap the best I can. I'll be moving fast though, if it doesn't get done by the end of whatever weekend I do it I'm in big trouble haha. And yeah I understand justifying expenses and all. Good thing I didn't order those rims 'cause now I need to replace my cylinder head and do a head gasket asap. And life goes on

Also if anyone wants to know, if you put it in reverse doing 40MPH, you coast for a bit before engaging, and then your wheels lock up the car dies yada yada DON'T DO IT. Have a bad habit of coasting to stops in neutral and returning to D4 before stopping completely, and I accidentally put the shifter forward instead of backwards into Drive. So smart.

Vehicle

No idea how I'm going to get this 5 speed swap done. Policy change at work, can't use the shop for personal use as of July 1st. How the hell do you all do this in your garage/driveway? Hardcore

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Garage or driveway brother! You'll have to rough it like the rest of us . Or make friends with a mechanic who will let you use one of his bays.

89 Accord LX
    270k miles

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Were you able to swap it out??

89 Accord LX
    270k miles

Vehicle

Sorry man, went through a ton of life crap. Still get to use the shop, so I've got the 5 speed torn apart for new bearings synchros and seals. I'm stuck though, gotta get some fancy ass puller tool to get the countershaft bearing out of the clutch housing. Other than that this transaxle is super nice to take apart.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Does it need to be replaced or can you clean it in place?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Oh I could totally clean it and probably be fine, but something about tearing apart a transmission and not using 100% of a $160 rebuild kit feels wrong. It'd be just my luck, you know? I'm probably just a little crazy. But if anyone knows where I can get/borrow a "Bearing Puller 07936-6340000" I'd love to know

Vehicle

Just kidding, got it out just fine, no problem. Going back together now. Should I be worried about reusing the counter and mainshaft lock nuts?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

If you can stake them in a different spot, it should be okay. Otherwise, replace them.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Alright, hopefully I can get them down in a different spot. And holy balls those shift rails/shift interlock did not want to go together, so annoying