Thread: 89 accord tranny swap question

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord Lxi

89 accord tranny swap question

So i just bought an 89 honda accord that needs a new tranny. It still runs and drives but the tranny has a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd gear then usually slips out about 5 seconds after i shift. then i let off the gas for a second and it catches again. anyhow, i was planning on getting a used tranny at a junkyard and swapping it myself, however while i was at the auto parts store today one of the guys who works there who used to work at a tranny shop told me that if i dont have any experience swapping honda tranny's out that i shouldn't because there's a high chance I could "stack the pump". I was just wondering if this is a common issue, how easily can it be avoided, etc. Ive never done a tranny before but im an automotive student and have some moderate knowledge when it comes to cars. Thanks in advance!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: 89 accord tranny swap question

I'll give him 2 points for creativity. Zero points for accuracy though. Download the manual (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5...udl0xk_Oa?dl=0), read up on the swap, then go do it. When you're done you can tell him that you didn't stack the pump, but he DID stack it higher and deeper...
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord Lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    I'll give him 2 points for creativity. Zero points for accuracy though. Download the manual (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5...udl0xk_Oa?dl=0), read up on the swap, then go do it. When you're done you can tell him that you didn't stack the pump, but he DID stack it higher and deeper...

ok, will do. what do you mean though by "he did stack it higher and deeper"? are you basically saying he is full of sh**? And i found my tranny at a junkyard with 192k miles for $225, it was either that or pay 450 for one with 150k but im thinking im gonna go for the $225 one, does that sound like a good deal?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by travis85904 View Post
    So i just bought an 89 honda accord that needs a new tranny. It still runs and drives but the tranny has a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd gear then usually slips out about 5 seconds after i shift. then i let off the gas for a second and it catches again. anyhow, i was planning on getting a used tranny at a junkyard and swapping it myself, however while i was at the auto parts store today one of the guys who works there who used to work at a tranny shop told me that if i dont have any experience swapping honda tranny's out that i shouldn't because there's a high chance I could "stack the pump". I was just wondering if this is a common issue, how easily can it be avoided, etc. Ive never done a tranny before but im an automotive student and have some moderate knowledge when it comes to cars. Thanks in advance!
    What he means in installing an automatic transmission you can break the pump in it by forcing the trans to the flywheel. If the torque converter is not aligned correctly it can break the pump which is on the mainshaft of the transmission.

I never replaced a Honda auto but common practice is install the torque converter first,fully seated into the trans and then bolt the trans up.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

And here comes the guy that tells you to dump some magic elixir in it to avoid replacement. Well. It worked for me. Auto RX. 6 oz. and drive for 1000 miles, then flush and fill. I'm assuming you've already checked your fluid level. The valve body and other inner workings get gunked up from not changing fluid regularly.

This stuff will clean it and then you need to flush it. The flush will not cause problems if you use the correct fluid. And I sit here still not believing I am writing this. But again, it worked for me on several cars in the past. Bought them cheap because the sellers thought the transmissions were failing. Try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryan427; 05-06-2015 at 05:58 AM.
    89 Accord LX
    270k miles
    We've nicknamed it "The Time Machine"

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord Lxi

Honestly if it is the valve body I think I would rather just remove it and try cleaning it out really good. Also wanted to add that it won't go into reverse while the car is cold. It takes about 5 minutes of warming up before it will go in to reverse. So how likely is it that its the valve body?

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Hm. I'll do some research. My friend owns and operates a reputable transmission shop. He has told me over and over about contamination and varnish being the number one cause for transmission malfunction. He's the one that told me about Auto-RX. He likes it because it removes the varnish and liquifies all contamination which gets removed during the flush. The other option after running Auto RX is drain and fill a few times. That procedure is actually mentioned in the manual as a total fluid replacement option.

My friend who owns that shop is a very honest guy. He saves people a lot of money every week using this method. Has saved me a ton over the years.

Last edited by ryan427; 05-06-2015 at 12:23 PM.
    89 Accord LX
    270k miles

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Friend says valve body could be the problem. Obviously he can't diagnose it without looking at it. He recommended the method I already mentioned. Check that fluid level. Independent research on my part also points to valve body: Common Transmission Problems - Causes and Solutions

Hoping this will help you out and possibly save you some money if you decide to try it.

89 Accord LX
    270k miles

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Honestly if it is the valve body I think I would rather just remove it and try cleaning it out really good. Also wanted to add that it won't go into reverse while the car is cold. It takes about 5 minutes of warming up before it will go in to reverse. So how likely is it that its the valve body?
    The valve body is the very last thing you get to after having removed everything else from the transmission. Cleaning it would only be done in the context of a complete rebuild, because you'd be mad to put it all back together with old parts. I try to avoid magic elixirs myself, preferring an accelerated fluid change schedule instead. Secret potions are not without risk and have to be used carefully under controlled circumstances lest you do further/different damage. The detergents in fresh fluid will achieve the same effect with less risk, albeit more slowly.

Having said that, if your choice is between a potion and a new transmission, the choice is a pretty easy one.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post

Having said that, if your choice is between a potion and a new transmission, the choice is a pretty easy one.
    I would agree 100%, if it were a potion. It's not a potion though as all it does is clean (slowly and gently). It's not like a powerful flush that instantly loosens large "chunks" of crud/varnish that will clog up passages and filters. It melts all of that stuff away slowly and liquifies it where new fluid cannot.

This is why I hate even mentioning this sort of thing. Again, I'm not a potion/snake oil kind of person. This stuff has worked wonders for me over the years. Please don't think less of me for mentioning it...

89 Accord LX
    270k miles

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord Lxi

i got done with the tranny yesterday. $250 from the junkyard and the car runs like a dream now!! thanks to everyone who chimed in, and no offense to anyone who is into the "fix in a can" thing, thats just not really my style

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

i got done with the tranny yesterday. $250 from the junkyard and the car runs like a dream now!! thanks to everyone who chimed in, and no offense to anyone who is into the "fix in a can" thing, thats just not really my style
    none taken! Happy it worked for you. Was it terribly difficult?

89 Accord LX
    270k miles

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord Lxi

Quote Originally Posted by ryan427 View Post
    none taken! Happy it worked for you. Was it terribly difficult?

I wouldn't say it was terribly difficult, more just alot of little parts and bolts to keep track of. I just had a big table next to the car that I laid everything out on as I took it off, then I would put all the screws with it and label it/ label all the bolts i took off and what they went too as well. (for example when i took off the torque converter bolts, i put the all together, made a label with a piece of paper and wrapped tape around it all so making like a small package basically, but did it in a way that i could read the label without opening the package) and it made putting everything back together super easy. It took me about a week, at a slow/moderate pace. The only part I really had alot of difficulty with was lining up the bell housing, took almost 2 hours... I was thinking I could do it without removing the drivers side cv axle to save a little time, but that proved nearly impossible, so after wrestling with it for quite sometime i decided to undo the cv axle finally. By the way I had to have a helper on the ground to help balance the tranny when lining it up.