Thread: 89 accord AT swap question

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord Lxi

89 accord AT swap question

im stuck on the part where it says "hook hoist to hanger plate" i have no idea where the hanger plate is and im stuck. can someone help me out please? ive tried searching all over the internet and have come up empty handed. thank you

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord Lxi

Re: 89 accord AT swap question

also is there a way to do the tranny swap without removing the front motor mount?

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

I'm confused - what swap are you doing? Auto to Manual? Manual to Auto? And yes it is possible to install the transmission from underneath, essentially "lowering" the car onto the trans. I'm assuming the hanger plate would be either the plate for the rear engine mount or the plate for the top mount rod, but don't take my word for it.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord Lxi

im just replacing my auto trans with another auto. and yes, what im attempting to do is drop it from underneath, but my instructor told me i wont have enough clearance unless i remove the front motor mount, which im having a real hard time removing because of a stubborn bolt and not enough room to get a socket on it...which is why i was asking if its possible to be done without removing the front motor mount

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

I had to remove my A/T to replace my Torque Converter, and I was able to drop the transmission without removing the front engine mount. Only needed to disconnect various hoses and the upper mount (firewall to transmission). I had to remove the passenger side torque rod, the bar that connects the knuckle to the sub frame, to lower the transmission enough. I'd recommend getting an alignment after messing with that. Mine drives fine because I tried to get it as close as possible to what it was before I removed it, but I do pull a little to the right because it's not perfect.

Vehicle
    86lxi hatch auto 87lxi hatch auto 88 lxi hatch 5-speed 96 sedanex 5-speed 88 carb coupe 88 sedan carb

The plate I used to hang the tranny from was a small metal piece almost directly in the middle of the top of the trany with three bolts holding it on. Use more than this when removing it and use that to move it around once free from motor... come to think maybe autos don't have this piece, but by now I bet you figured it out lol

"Weight is relative to power like time is relative to speed"

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord Lxi

ya wwe ended up using 2 jacks, 1 on the motor, 1 on the tranny. and a 6 point wrench for that stuck bolt that i couldnt get a socket on

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord Lxi

so i got the new tranny in, and now i have another problem. while removing a bolt by the upper torque mount bracket i dropped the bolt and i think it may have gone in the hole for the speedo gear, since i hadnt installed the speedo gear yet. i literally was not able to find the bolt anywhere, so i shined a flashlight in the hole and didnt see any bolt... i fished around with a magnet to no avail. i really hop it didnt like fall so far in there that i cant get it out or something. anyone have any ideas? i really dont wana have to drop the tranny again if i dont have to.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord lx Sedan(manual)

Sorry to butt in.New to the forums. Question tho. Doing a auto to manual swap on my89 civic lx with d15b engine for the l3 transmission and everything done, but the axles don't fit.the inner spines on the stock axles are too small?.. Found a divers side that fits but the passenger side is different front the other. So what flipping l3 transmission did i get and what dinner cars will have the right axles? Please and thank you