Thread: 1987 Honda Accord DX restoration and modification

DX User

1987 Honda Accord DX restoration and modification

I an currently working with a carbureted manual 87 accord with 147,000 miles on it. I payed 300 dollars for it last year and since have tagged it historic and its been my daily driver.

Its had:
    New battery
    Regular oil changes
    Spark plugs
    Tires all around
    Nkg spark plug wires
    All tie rods replaces
    All ball joints replaced
    Both front upper control arms
    Both rear lower control arms
    Both rear upper control arms
    Overhead gasket replaced

It needs:
    (I suspect it was in a mild front end collision, but the internals are alright)

Headlight alignment (right one is damaged and points off to the right, still flips up though with no problem)

New wheel lug (one of the ones on my left drivers side wheel are sheered off, I have the lug to replace it but I'm not sure how without a wheel hub puller, I don't own the tool)

Right side mirror (its not broken but it looks like it was knocked off and bolted back on by previous owner, its missing the inside piece that moves the mirror on the outside. I had to use sealer to keep the water out.)

Carpet (the car sat for a while and had a leaking windshield, as a result there was mold on the carpet so I removed it. The leak has been stopped)

K frame (when I took it to the alignment shop they told me they couldn't do a true alignment because the k frame on the right side was shifted back, it had rust spots where it looks like it was scrapped on something. Like the car hit a curb head on. I have the new kframe and am waiting for someone to help me put it on. The metal rod that connects to the right front wheel is also bent and the wheel sits a little bit angled. Still drivable but about to be replaced, the car is almost aligned haha)

Speedometer cable (the end that goes into trany is shreaded somehow)

Despite these things the car runs great, I need to know about how to do a few of the repairs listed.

I've also repainted the car, ill post pictures as I take them

DX User

Re: 1987 Honda Accord DX restoration and modification

I would like to cut the hood and modify the stock air box to a hood drawn air system. To do that I'm just going to redirect the air intake hose to a hood scoop. Maybe get the 98 horsepower to 100 haha

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Pics bro!!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i coupe; 91 Accord LX sedan

Quote Originally Posted by RAINzZx View Post
    I an currently working with a carbureted manual 87 accord with 147,000 miles on it. I payed 300 dollars for it last year and since have tagged it historic and its been my daily driver.
    What state are you in? Here in Ohio, cars with historic license plates cannot legally be driven for regular use. Owners can be ticketed for such use.
    1988 Accord LX-i 2-door coupe, 205K miles, updated 1/4/18.

Vehicle
    86 Accord DX four-door sedan

Quote Originally Posted by derolph View Post
    What state are you in? Here in Ohio, cars with historic license plates cannot legally be driven for regular use. Owners can be ticketed for such use.
    Same here in Washington St. Your only aloud a certain amount of driving with them