Thread: 1988 Honda accord Hatchback Lxi project racer.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord Lxi Hatch

1988 Honda accord Hatchback Lxi project racer.

Hey guys I bought a 1988 Honda Accord Hatch Lxi (2.0l A20a3 motor 5-speed) for $1200!! So it's a 27 year old car and I couldn't just get a good price for it I had to squeeze some money (I took out a loan for $3000) and decided to fix up (sexify this car up) granted the owner of the car had already installed a brand new radiator (lifetime warranty), Alternator, Rear and front suspension (lower and upper, I looked at the springs and the name was ??"matrix"??, they put new headlights in it (the retractables still work motor and everything. The motor had a small "oil leak" (yay me) but the car was able (after sitting for 3-4 months) start up and run like a champ (231k miles on motor and tranny) and ran like a champ for about 55 miles back to my house. Then the real work began..I bought a $190 Weapon R air intake with Ram Air kit, $90 for a nice metal/leather steering wheel and istallation kit, $100 for an ebay kit that included all belts an aftermarket water pump, camshaft and crankshaft seals and a valve cover gasket repair kit, a new clutch (performance clutch, advanced auto part) new rear main seal, new wheels and tires $200 (15in wheels good sticky tires) I got a mechanic of mine to replace the rear main seal and clutch as well as install the steering wheel $340 I did the valve cover gasket myself EZPZ 30min job (1 1/2 hr job if you sand and paint your valve cover!) And installed the air intake myself, little fabrication needed but easy enough. I'm looking to make a good race/sleeper streer car I would like any tips on turbo setups what I should rebuild the engine and tranny with (I'm looking at a nice turbo kit for $900 can make 155hp at 8psi and 600hp at 26psi I would like to know what I should do to my stock(ish) engine to make it be able to.withstand a turbo for small and huge boost! and maybe some good ideas for coilovers and headers etc etc I'm also interested in body kits and a small wing

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Re: 1988 Honda accord Hatchback Lxi project racer.

There are NO turbo kits for these cars. You have to piece them together yourself. Those eBay kits lack the manifold and downpipe, 2 of the biggest parts of the puzzle. A brand new, brand name turbocharger will cost you more than that whole kit, so how good do you think that turbo will be? You're better off with a used junkyard turbo that you have rebuilt. There is the Mosselman manifold out there. PM me and I'll get you the contact info. They're kinda blowing them out right now, they want rid of them it seems.

You'd never make 600HP on this engine. Ever. The record is something like 420WHP, and that was a rather well built turbo setup. Probably a $7,000 or more investment.

Be more prudent with your performance parts purchases. That intake won't gain you any power, just make it louder. The stock setup pulls cold air in, whereas that Weapon R is pulling in hot air. A home brew setup would have cost you a lot less and made you more power. Those steering wheels are really super flimsy, too. I've bent one before. I'm not trying to be mean, I want you to be more careful with your money.

Spend some time here searching around. There's a lot of info here, and no one is going to sit here and spoon feed it to you. You're opening a big can of worms with your build, so you need to spend some time researching and ask better questions.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: 1988 Honda accord Hatchback Lxi project racer.

sounds like you got a nice daily. like vanilla sky said these cars can be turboed but the most you will make would be around 250-300hp. you would have to convert it to obd1 and make your own turbo kit.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned