Thread: fusebox 86 lxi

DX User

fusebox 86 lxi

i am having some issues with my under dash fusebox.the ac and low beam headlights fuses seem not to making good connections is threre a simple way to remove box to see and work on it ?are there plug in harrness i can see what looks like 10mm nut on right side of box is there another on left side behind steel beam?must be someway to be able to tighten connections up or bypass.with a inline fuse and possible switch. thanks for any replies Bill

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: fusebox 86 lxi

What symptoms are you experiencing and how are you determining a bad connection? Do you mean that the contacts are loose, causing the fuse to wobble around and lose connectivity from time to time? In that case, simply sqeeze the contacts tight again and that should fix your issue. It's also possible that the contacts are corroded and causing resistance and thus, heat. Generally that would result in melting (not blown) fuses and most likely a melting fuse box as well. It's a LOT of work to pull the fuse box, so try to do your work with it in place, though that will be hard. To fix a corroded connection, sand the contact surfaces smooth, coat with some silicone (dielectric) grease, squeeze the clamps tight and you're done. Hopefully. A third possibility is that the circuits are drawing too much current, causing the fuses to blow frequently. The fix for that involves finding why the circuits are drawing too much power, which is going to be fun.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by 1skatingrink View Post
    i am having some issues with my under dash fusebox.the ac and low beam headlights fuses seem not to making good connections is threre a simple way to remove box to see and work on it ?are there plug in harrness i can see what looks like 10mm nut on right side of box is there another on left side behind steel beam?must be someway to be able to tighten connections up or bypass.with a inline fuse and possible switch. thanks for any replies Bill
    I disconnected the battery and messed with the prongs that hold the fuse in the box. Pulling the box down and toward you would help see it better.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User

thanks i think it did melt slightly around ac and low beam fuses.i will attempt to work on it while in dash i was having fuses blowing on ac so added a auto circut beaker which does reset sometimes if its not making good contact. thanks again Bill