Thread: 89 LXi front upper control arms

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi

89 LXi front upper control arms

Hi All,

I have a 89 Accord LXi and am looking for feedback on whether 5 years is within normal wear and tear for front upper control arms? I had both these replaced in 2010 (and have driven only around 28k since) with OEM or similar parts (I thought) since they were each ~ $150 (parts only). Now I am told the upper ball joints are both worn (I could see the rubber cover was indeed cracked). For my initial investment I thought they would last longer.

Thanks a bunch!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: 89 LXi front upper control arms

Quote Originally Posted by caarman View Post
    Hi All,

I have a 89 Accord LXi and am looking for feedback on whether 5 years is within normal wear and tear for front upper control arms? I had both these replaced in 2010 (and have driven only around 28k since) with OEM or similar parts (I thought) since they were each ~ $150 (parts only). Now I am told the upper ball joints are both worn (I could see the rubber cover was indeed cracked). For my initial investment I thought they would last longer.

Thanks a bunch!

Well I think 5 years is pretty good. The boots seem to crack out pretty quick and then dirt ruins the joint.

You can price out the parts lower then what you said but if your having them put on that's not really to bad a price.

FYI the rears wear faster in stock form and can fail (break) completely. Im thinking 2 years of good service and after that they degrade and fail. I would get them checked/replaced as well.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Well I think 5 years is pretty good. The boots seem to crack out pretty quick and then dirt ruins the joint.

You can price out the parts lower then what you said but if your having them put on that's not really to bad a price.

FYI the rears wear faster in stock form and can fail (break) completely. Im thinking 2 years of good service and after that they degrade and fail. I would get them checked/replaced as well.
    Thanks very much for the feedback!
    That's exactly why I was a bit hesitant since I would also have to replace the rear ones soon (I don't think they were ever replaced and my car has about 157k), as well as the front lower ball joints.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

It depends on how you drive to a degree. Nevertheless, they don't seem to last very long. I wonder if that was part of the reason Honda abandoned the double-wishbone suspension in the '90s.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89 LXi

28K sounds really bad for that part. The control arm with the ball joint should be about $18 to $21 per side aftermarket Moog R series RK9406 and RK9408.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    It depends on how you drive to a degree. Nevertheless, they don't seem to last very long. I wonder if that was part of the reason Honda abandoned the double-wishbone suspension in the '90s.
    ummm F no! cost more likely a reason for downgrading design quality right...but yes most makers in that era favored the top strut mount to locate the upper suspension rather than having an upper UCA with BJ at least you had some adjustment there that way.

Mevo brand from rockauto seems pretty durable so far and somewhat high performance high grade materials with a cheep price tag, they actualy have an entire suspension rebuild kit for less than 200 bucks
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 07-06-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by 2oodoor View Post
    ummm F no! cost more likely a reason for downgrading design quality right...
    No doubt. The MBA schools have been busy teaching the CEOs that people want crap for a couple generations now, so that idea is firmly entrenched. Just put a turd in a shiny case, have a big marketing push and presto! big money, golden parachutes and in-the-money stock options for all (of the board of directors)! Our best and brightest can't transcend the educations they spend hundreds of thousands for, apparently, so we get cars that flash and beep at us constantly and ignore all requests to turn the sat nav off while driving like padded cells on pontoons. I was just trying to be polite (instead of my usual anger, cynicism and misanthropy) by suggesting that rapid suspension wear might have been part of the rationalization they used for giving us the shaft.
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 07-12-2015 at 10:02 AM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Aftermarket parts dont last as long at OEM. 5 years is a good deal. I had lower ball joints last me 1 year before they started making noise. I upgraded to Moog ball joints upper and bottom. I also did the 2nd gen prelude arm upgrade. Makes replacing the upper ball joints a much faster job and dont have to take out the whole arm. plus you get camber adjustment since im lowered 3 inches in the front.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User
    Vehicle
    90/Mazda/Miata Turbo, 89/Honda/Accord lxi

What is the second gen prelude upgrade, iv been trying to find info on it since my stock front ones are making noise and I plan to go low soon.