Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '88 Accord LXI To Keep Wife happy

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Re: '88 Accord LXI To Keep Wife happy

If that would cause a loss of pressure then it's a good place to start. Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    89 Accord LX
    270k miles
    We've nicknamed it "The Time Machine"

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Check your shifter cable for kinks or other damage. Also, take care when installing the torque converter. You can damage the oring seal and it will blow tranny fluid like you can't believe. Ask me how I know...

Assembly lube is an absolute must on these engines. Given the configuration of the oil pump, it's impossible to prime with engine oil before first start. If you don't have assembly lube, you're doing tremendous damage during those first few seconds after first start when the engine is running without oil.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI

Thanks Dr.

Yessir I used assembly lube. Engine still running fantastic.

I was curious about the shifter cable cause it does seem a bit off. Not much but definitely noticed it.

Gonna adjust the cable tomorrow then if that doesn't cure it, I'll pull the transmission and check that O ring.

On a side note I noticed my Factory manual states Dexron II but everywhere I read everyone says use Honda ATF. Now I'll admit transmission (especially autos) are my weak area. I've always understood Dexron III is backward compatible with Dexron II. Would this be causing an issue?

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

When I replaced my torque converter I filled up with O'Reilly "Global" brand ATF, which claims to cover a ton of ATFs, and I haven't had any issues. Pretty sure on the back somewhere it says it covers Dex III and Dex II but I could be wrong

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI

Re-adjusted my Shifter cable. It was off.

But I still have the problem. I did notice though that when it goes to "false neutral" and I shift the shifter around I can hear the parking awl click like I throw it in park while the car is moving. It only clicks a few times but no matter what gear I select it still in neutral. Just starting to decide maybe I should just grab a rebuilt for $400 and swap it out instead of trying to fix something I don't know much about (auto trans).

Beginning to suspect I might have done some damage when I pulled the engine and the shifter cable got hung up.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

You want to inspect the cable for any signs of damage, especially kinks. If memory serves, you'll have to tear down the trans to replace it, so there you go.

I used to be a real fluid snob, but now that I'm older, I just use whatever they spec in the owner's manual. The car was engineered to use those fluids, after all. The newer whiz bang stuff is outside of those design parameters and in some cases, they can cause problems (like synthetic engine oils and flat tappet valves). I'm experimenting with cheap store brand fluids and they seem to work fine. It's hard to know, though, until something blows up. All that to say that Dex 3 will be fine, but you're sure to get different opinions and I don't think it really matters at the end of the day. You're going to do a lot more damage by using Fram oil filters or K&N air filters than you will using Honda ATF.
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI

HAHA Dr, yea I know about them Frams. Started only getting quality a few years ago.

The shift cable is brand new and I made sure it didn't get hung up anywhere when I re-installed. It connects behind the Torque Converter. But still gotta pull the trans to double check it. My friend made a good point though. I got a FSM for it with VERY detailed instructions on disassembling the trans. his point was it's screwed up now so you can't make it worse...might as well pull it and start where the shifter cable connects and check it out.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Good times.
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI

Hey all

I know it's been awhile. Had to Switch to doing some work on my civic (Slow 92 CX Build | ClubCivic.com - Your Online Civic Community). Added some fun things to it. Anyhow the trans in the Accord is still giving issues so haven't been driving it. Just got another transmission last week to put in and started to remove the old one. But yesterday the Ole Doc put a cramp in those plans as it turns out I have a torn tendon. So extreme light duty at work and NO work around the house for 3 weeks. Luckily a great friend of mine and fellow Honda Guru is coming over Sat to change out the transmissions for me. I'm pretty sure it's cause he wants my shop for his car lol. he's got a 2000 Civic EX with a GSR motor/trans that he is building up to 300 hp and doesn't want to work in the rain :P

So FINALLY after all this time, by Sunday the Accord SHOULD be up and running. Once it is, I'm gonna take apart the old Transmission and see what I can do.
    Last edited by Locruid; 11-17-2015 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Spelling

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI

O forgot to mention, I found out the damn Sunroof Drains were clogged the hard way......man that water is COLD COLD COLD

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post
    O forgot to mention, I found out the damn Sunroof Drains were clogged the hard way......man that water is COLD COLD COLD
    nothing like a cold shower in the morning. i remember when i hit the brakes and i almost jumped out of my seat because it woke me up.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI

Accord had it's first official test run today:

In town I came to a stop and a bit of smoke came out form under hood. Got to friends house and had a smallish coolant leak. Still had plenty of coolant so figured I'd fix it once I get home. Got home and no leak and no smoke......

Anywho it drove pretty good. Shift s a TAD soon but that's just a kickdown cable adjustment. Noticed the Distributor is leaking oil so I'll replace that. Irritating cause it's a new seal.....

The fuel gauge is inoperable so ordered a new Cluster for $45 (30 day warranty).

Otherwise it's running great
    1998 Civic EX. B8 Block/B7 Head/A6 cam/EX transmission/Z6 Intake. http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threa...-build.230312/
    1988 Honda Accord LXI Completely stock
    2000 Dodge Durango

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

great news man! keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI

Hey everyone,

Officially passed 500 miles and FINALLY FINALLY chased that pesky coolant leak(s) lol. Turned out I had 2 but both intermittent. One was the IAC feeder coolant line off the head. The band was blocking a small hole so it would only leak when under extreme pressure. The second one was next to the rear torque mount and the clamp was bad. When the engine would move it would push on it and cause it to leak but under idle it was fine lol.

It's driving great and the wife is finally happy. Actually had to explain something to her.

"The Accord is getting about the same mileage my Durango is"
    "No it's not I've been watching it its getting about 24-25 which is normal for break in. The Durango gets about 13"
    "But I'm filling up the stupid Accord every 350 miles and I did the same with the Durango!"
    "Um Dear, you're putting in about 12-14 gallons vs the 22 you'd put in the Durango in the same 350 miles......"

Anywho she is happy, she just misses her Durango lol.
    1998 Civic EX. B8 Block/B7 Head/A6 cam/EX transmission/Z6 Intake. http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threa...-build.230312/
    2000 Dodge Durango

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

your mileage should get better once everything is broken in.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    your mileage should get better once everything is broken in.
    Unfortunately it's getting 22 now lol. But I noticed the Lockup won't stay locked up. I've readjusted the cables to no avail (both the shifter and kickdown cable) Both cables are brand new but I dd notice the Shifter cable has a bit of play. So once it warms up I'm gonna crawl underneath and make sure the bracket isn't loose
    2000 Dodge Durango

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

The throttle valve cable can be very sensitive so just try one complete turn at a time, you should be able to hold it at 60 mph or so and it stay in lock up, much less than 50 mph it won't stay and if it does the adjustment probably won't suit some other shift aspect. It is weird because the shift point can change back the other direction as you make the cable shorter or longer with the adjustment, in other words there is a sweet spot somewhere in the center. If you're efi then its possible the upper part of the cable has some adjustment,its better to do the adjustment down on the transmission TV lever side. What you are doing is mechanically telling the valve body what the throttle position is so its not a kickdown cable per say.
    As well, the adjustment can fall out of accuracy according to changes in the tune, for example, advancing timing or idle speed adjustment's or any power mods would possibly require slight tweaking of the TV cable because less or more throttle opening is required to make power\motion.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 12-26-2015 at 04:14 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post
    Unfortunately it's getting 22 now lol. But I noticed the Lockup won't stay locked up. I've readjusted the cables to no avail (both the shifter and kickdown cable) Both cables are brand new but I dd notice the Shifter cable has a bit of play. So once it warms up I'm gonna crawl underneath and make sure the bracket isn't loose
    What brand of tires do you have?
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI

Hey guys sorry its been awhile. hectic work.

So I've adjusted the TV cable, shift cable, and throttle cable 6 ways from Sunday. Nothing changes. The TV cable is set so the second rpms start to rise it begins to move. The shifts are nice and seem to be good with the exception of the 2nd to 3rd to 4th shift (I'll get to that in a bit). Otherwise she still getting about 23 mpg and has good power (75% rural with some hills).

So today I tried to set the ignition timing and noticed I couldn't get it. Which means I'm off a tooth. Re-timed it, took it for a spin and boy was it GUTLESS. But.....the TC locked in lol. Brought it back barely running, checked ignition timing. Silly me, forgot to tighten up the tensioner (sigh) so it jumped a tooth. RETIMED IT AGAIN lol. Got the ignition set spot on perfect. Took it for a test drive.

Shifts are smooth. 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th all uniform according to pedal. If I'm getting on it, she will hold each gear appropriately where before she would give a hiccup trying to get to 3rd then immediately just hit 4th. Idle is smooth as silk both in and out of gear (before in gear should would shake a bit but I know timing was off now)

But.....

The damn TC won't lockup...again lol. When the timing was off she was cruising 2500@60 but she's back to her 2800-2900@60. If i give it a little gas it seems the TC will lockup but the minute I set my speed she'll come out again. begining to suspect I might have a baD TPS. I know on my mother-in law's Durango the TC would kick in and out cruising down the road with no engine light on but I changed the TPS and it's been fine ever sense. Beginning to suspect I might have a bad spot in it.

I have Kumho tires

Anyone know if the 92-00 civic TPS work on these? I have a couple of those lying around that are good.
    2000 Dodge Durango

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

The TPS should flash a CEL code if it's bad. Testing procedures are on p. 12-28 of the manual. You can do a quick and dirty test with an ohmmeter though. Resistance should rise or fall smoothly (can't remember which) throughout the range of motion. You don't want any hiccups.

I had a set of Bridgestone tires and for the entire time they were on the car, the TC would not lock up. Replaced them with Michelins and the TC starting working again. Like magic. My mileage was crap too with those godawful Bridgestones. If the rolling resistance is real high, you'll get the symptoms you're experiencing. If everything else is running good, then look at the tires.
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI

Thanks for all the help Dr!

Tps checked out ok. So I went back to the drawing board.....with a whole new cable. Adjusted it according to the Manual. Now the TC locks up a LOT more but still jumps out on occasion. I did notice though that the FSM states .08 free play on the lever and I definitely got more than that. So gonna try adjusting it a bit higher to close SOME of that gap and see what happens.

But overall even where it's at is a HUGE improvement. Wife would drive 17 miles to work and it would not lockup for 90% of the trip. Now it's locking up for 90% of the trip.
    2000 Dodge Durango

DX User
    Vehicle
    2011 Honda Accord LX

The car looks great, considering its age.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI

Thank You!

S U C C E S S!!!!! Readjusted the TV cable to go higher than the adjustment procedure from the FSM and now shifts beautifully. Drove it to the coast today and it performed flawlessly. 2500 rpms at 60 (instead of almost 3k lol) and the shifts were crisp and felt proper. It might be off JUST a hair but I don't care it's finally working properly.

Replaced the Spark plugs (apparently something I forget when I rebuilt the motor.....) and the ole girl runs like a champ. The wife is finally happy in that department. Now to get her a stereo and new gauge cluster (Fuel gauge isn't working D4 light doesn't work and the temp gauge works when it feels like it).
    2000 Dodge Durango

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

sounds great. congrats on the fix.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI

Hey all

Got a stereo in it for the wife. Nothing fancy just a decent Sony. Changed out the cluster today. Everything is working now like it should be.

Now if I can convince her to change the exhaust
    2000 Dodge Durango