Thread: Hello; present '91 CRX Si owner; keeping an eye out for an Accord LX-i hatch

DX User
    Vehicle
    91/Honda/CRX Si

Cool Hello; present '91 CRX Si owner; keeping an eye out for an Accord LX-i hatch

Hey Folks,

I'm Greg and I live in Northwest VA on a horse farm with my wife and 2 boys. I joined the forum for research purposes. I'm currently looking at getting a 3rd gen Accord LX-i Hatchback as a step up to a larger car from my stock 91 CRX Si that I've owned for the past 4 years (currently my DD); previously I owned a 88 CRX Si which is what turned me on to Hondas. I've learned a lot from wrenching on the CRX and I'm hoping to apply that knowledge to the Accord in terms of a custom build; would be interested in keeping it stock on the outside; but eventually swapping out the engine for an LS/VTEC or a B20 build to get a bit more torque on the lower end as the Accord is a bit heavier than the Rex. I'd also like to lower the car (not slamming it) to give it a more aggressive look; looking at Eibach sport springs and some basic tokico blues to get the job done. For performance; my idea is to do the basic h/e/i combo; not looking to get a huge amount of power; but I think 200 hp would be perfect for a car this size. I'll be looking thru the build threads for other ideas to add/alter to my wish list.

Some of the things that really drew me to the Accord is that it's kinda like a stretched out version of the CRX (in it's Hatchback form); and I like the flip up lights and the edgy and angular look (read not bubbly). Another thing that is great are the tail lights; especially on the hatchback; I really dig how they get that opaque look to them; dunno if this is from sun fade; but I think it makes the rear end look awesome!! Also; no airbags (added weight) and practically the same suspension setup as on the Si.

The biggest dilemma of being a car (Honda) enthusiast is wanting to tear your car apart; but not having a backup DD. My hope is that this will allow me to have a project to work on with my son (5 years old) to teach him about cars and have some solid bonding time as well as provide him a foundation of knowledge about mechanics that he can apply in the future. I'm also on Honda-Tech and CRX community (same u/n).

In closing; thanks for having this site up as a resource!! I plan to use it extensively!!

Greg
    GruvRegulator

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Hello; present '91 CRX Si owner; keeping an eye out for an Accord LX-i hatch

Welcome! Good luck with your search. Five years old is pretty young. You won't be teaching him any principles of internal combustion, variable valve timing or whatnot, but he's definitely ready to learn how to size the wrench to the bolt head and what direction loosens vs. tightens. Kudos to you for finding ways to bond with your son. When my nephew was 2, I couldn't keep him out of the garage. He got into things something horrible and eventually we got to where I would work on my car, and he would work on his plastic dump truck. That was good, except that he always seemed to "need" the tools I was using. LOL.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW