Thread: Adjustable Cam gear work around?

Vehicle
    86lxi hatch auto 87lxi hatch auto 88 lxi hatch 5-speed 96 sedanex 5-speed 88 carb coupe 88 sedan carb

Adjustable Cam gear work around?

It seems like a long shot that someone hasn't tried this already, but wouldn't it be easier to replace the lower timing gear to fit an easily available cam gear? The D-series ones seem pretty common/inexpensive.
    I would think as long as the ratios are the same you could get a belt that fit to make it work. Just have to find a lower gear that is the same or close for inner diameter and work with it. Seems like less work than finding a adjustable for our cars atm

"Weight is relative to power like time is relative to speed"

Vehicle
    86lxi hatch auto 87lxi hatch auto 88 lxi hatch 5-speed 96 sedanex 5-speed 88 carb coupe 88 sedan carb

Re: Adjustable Cam gear work around?

I'm trying to find a d15/16 lower timing gear dimensions and having a hell of a time... Has anyone looked into this yet? Am I missing another thread with some info that may help me figure this out?

tried lower timing gear and crankshaft gear, but having very little luck

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

The problem with changing the sizes of the pulleys is that you would then have to use a longer belt. Longer belts may be available but figuring out how long it would need to be is not a trivial task. The effort would be better spent finding an adjustable pulley (IMO). They are out there and show up in the for sale section from time to time. The 3geez group on Facebook is also a good resource.

I have to ask though, why do you want an adjustable timing pulley? There are so many other things that have a greater impact on performance.

C|

Vehicle

I'm open to suggestion then. What am I missing?
    I've got a job at O'reilly's atm and finding the belt won't be a problem, just figuring out how to "find" the lower gear. You know anything else to call it? Seriously try to find that part to buy not used on ebay. I want a part number or some name to find it easier
    Already running open exhaust, will odb1 make that much difference, or something else? Already got head work in route and playing with it by adjusting the teeth around and using tensioner to adjust made some impressive results, so I want the gear to make it easy.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by Demon1024 View Post
    I'm open to suggestion then. What am I missing?
    I've got a job at O'reilly's atm and finding the belt won't be a problem, just figuring out how to "find" the lower gear. You know anything else to call it? Seriously try to find that part to buy not used on ebay. I want a part number or some name to find it easier
    Already running open exhaust, will odb1 make that much difference, or something else? Already got head work in route and playing with it by adjusting the teeth around and using tensioner to adjust made some impressive results, so I want the gear to make it easy.

The primary reason to use an adjustable pulley is to compensate for significant amounts of head or block milling. You can also use it to tune where the powerband is in the RPM range, but it's pretty well known that adjustable pulleys don't affect performance much on single cam engines. If it does make a big difference then there is something else wrong.

The best way to find a crank timing pulley that fits would be to hit the junkyard and start comparing. I doubt you will find any combination of pulleys from another engine that fits, but go ahead and try if you want. Or you can just wait until a used one specifically for the A20 comes up for sale.

OBD1 conversions are the most useful if you have other engine modifications that you need to tune for. Here the usual suspects all apply, better intake and manifold, header and exhaust, head work including performance valve job and minor port work (don't go overboard with the porting!), and a reground cam. The more of these things you have, the more you need some sort of tuneable ECU (like an OBD1 conversion).

C|

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

if i remember right some one make a cam gear from a dodge neon gear. since you work at a part store match one up and see if it comes close. cam gears are great when you have a cam

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Ty! The closest honda i could find was for the d-series and would need to be drilled out 1mm 24-25mm
    I'll look at the neons when I go back

SEi User

Wasn't it possible to use F22 adjustable pulley think the teeth and diameter are the same? just needed machining a tiny bit off the edge like the pulleys for B20A, B20A4 is same pulley but as they are even rarer than Accords and 2nd Gen preludes I don't think anyone made one specifically.