Thread: What spark plug heat range for E85?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

What spark plug heat range for E85?

Weird little deal here. I changed out a very old worn set of NGK 6 for a new set of 5's a few months ago. Replaced the cap,rotor and wires at the same time cleaned the TB etc. My usual Spring tune up. When I did the clutch I had the distributor out and cleaned it up pretty good and it seem to be ok not to worn but original.

Since then cars idle and off idle response has really been bad. I went back to adding 2 gallons of gas to my e85 tank but it has not really made any difference in running. It also appears that the AC idle boost has quit again or the idle loaded is so bad it cant compensate for the load.

I guess I am a little baffled that one heat range different plug would make it run so poorly.

The old plugs were way way worn. I let them go about 3 years. Total bitch getting them out which is another story..Gaps were about .060"

Only other odd thing is warm starting sometime the started kicks back real bad like the car is under compression some how. its a rebuild a few years old so it could be just going bad hot. But sometimes I suspect one injector maybe leaking. there RC engineering 250cc I have had quite a few years. I dont think they are rated for e85 at all. MPG is same as last year running about 24 mpg with E85.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: What spark plug heat range for E85?

Updating this a little.

Been running a wideband gauge pod all week and I am noticing after the first run then cool down of the day the car runs very lean 15.5 or more until its fully warmed up again. The throttle is very hesitant until the O2 goes back to 14.7 normal run. My fuel pressure is a steady 40 psi and the fuel filter is about 3 months old.

Starting to suspect the fuel pump might be going bad or again the injectors. I have new both but not ready to set them in as of yet.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    '89 DX Sedan (RIP), Very Special '87 LX-i Hatch

The stoich value of E85 is 9.8. You're running it lean as fuck.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I cant get the gauge to flip from gas to E85 but its running pretty good. Your right 15 would be way lean on E85.

I swapped to 320cc injectors a while back to get the full throttle performance back up but all is good otherwise. I think I run about 40 psi of fuel pressure maybe 38.

The little glitch with it lean is after the car cools some after a long run. It goes back to 14.7 it about 2-3 mins once the engine temp stabilizes.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

E-85 Facts & Myths - Page 51 - Yellow Bullet Forums

last couple pages of this thread probably helped me out more than anything ever has.
    Now running E85.