Thread: Tried everything!!!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1990 Honda Prelude Si

Exclamation Tried everything!!!

I have a 1990 Honda Prelude Si. Alt and battery are both tested good and battery still doesnt stay charged. The next thing to try is finding out if the charging light has anything to do with this. I have the wiring diagram for the alternator and there is a wire that runs on both sides of the light. The charge light has not come on since I bought the car. If that light isnt coming on could that be the reason why my computer isnt connecting to the alternator to tell it to charge? Please helP! I bought this car in may and have been dealing with this issue since I bought it. The guy I bought it from said that i Just needed a new alternator so we got that and still nothing is working the way it should. Im ready to give up on it!

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

Re: Tried everything!!!

who tested the altenator to say its good ?
    The ecu dosnt tell the altenator to charge .
    if you have no charge light , you either have 1 ) a stuffed voltage reg in the alt
    2 ) worn out brushes in the alt
    or 3 ) a blown charge light bulb or fuse

Whats the voltage at the battery when the motor is running , no less than 14.1 volts with a fully charged battery at idle .
    If it has 14. something volts at idle, turn on everything other than the wipers and see what the voltage is. should be close to 14 volts at 2000rpm.
    Shit hole parts stores that test altenators probably dont test it under load and go 14 volts at an idle under no load is fine .

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Agrred^^^
    Do try to check the simple things as well though like thoroughly cleaning the battery terminals even if they look clean do it anyway with a round shaped battery wire brush.
    It is possible to have a bad pigtail at the alternator.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

I'm on alternator #3 and finally have a good one. Had similar symptoms. Very frustrating. The Napa brand has worked well on this round. Beck Arnley would be another good option. Now my starter is getting sluggish. Not that old. Came from "shit hole parts store" as hauntd said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    89 Accord LX
    270k miles
    We've nicknamed it "The Time Machine"

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

The problem with these chain parts stores these days is that the "new" altenators and starters are probably something they buy by the container load .
    They are all made in china for about 10c each .
    Some of the reman units can be ok , but depends where they are remaned .
    There is another auto electrician in my town that sells heaps of these types of units , and when they fail and come to me ,its straight in the bin and i'll put a quality reman or a brand new unit on .
    In nearly 10 years doing the auto sparky thing , i think i've had less than 10 units fail out of hundreds sold , and its usually a fault with the car thats caused the failure.
    With the denso altenators and starters , i always try and recon them with new denso parts .
    same with the mitsuba starters for other hondas .

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Hauntd ca3 View Post
    They are all made in china by starving peasants being paid piece rate for about 10c each .
    There. Fixed that for ya.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Truth. 4 sets of control arms. Boots are deteriorating again. There's more to support the China thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    89 Accord LX
    270k miles
    We've nicknamed it "The Time Machine"