Thread: Anybody actually use their Mosselman turbo manifold??

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Prelude 2.0Si

Anybody actually use their Mosselman turbo manifold??

A few years back some 3geez members did a group buy on the Mosselman turbo manifolds. However, I haven't been able to find anyone actually using the manifold...what gives? Did everyone just give up??

I'm about to go B series swap on my 1987 Prelude using info mostly from 3geez, but the idea of FI on the A20 wouldn't be totally off the table for me. I would consider it, but I find it odd that I can't find a Mosselman build on an A20.

With the Mosselman do you need to remove AC or PS? What is the flange type?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Re: Anybody actually use their Mosselman turbo manifold??

i dont think anyone has a running accord with one of those manifolds yet. I sold mine shortly after the GB happened to a local member, and eveyone else is doing the long slow proper builds instead of slapping a turbo on and blowing stuff up then asking why it happened lol. Idk about the AC & PS but i know its a t3 flange.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

You should have plenty of clearance for the power steering and AC compressor your best bet is to have an intercooler with both outlets on one side switch that half size Honda Civic radiator T3 T4 spacer plate in between the manifold header and turbo. Cutaway partial motor mount holder
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160620_181446.jpg 
Views:	564 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	7595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160620_210456.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	7596  

Vehicle
    88 dx & 85 Lude

Wow, that's some cutting into the block/mount. I shaved mine on my spare block a bit, but I actually ended up deciding to mount the turbo "upside down."

Edit: Is that how much you had to cut to get it to fit even with that extra flange in between? (Is that a BMC flange?)
    Last edited by knifemind; 06-26-2016 at 10:49 PM.

Vehicle

Yes the turbo so big barely has any clearance. And yes that's from BMC Machining. That piece is coming out eventually. Maybe I should have went with the littler Turbo I'm pretty confident the two remaining studs are strong

Vehicle

Live and learn

Vehicle

Knifemine show pictures of your build or it didn't happen lol thanks

Vehicle
    88 dx & 85 Lude

Nice.I have a BMC flange also...never used it for anything, though.
    My build is not running yet. Here it is on my spare block. I'm about 95% there and am just waiting on a local guy to build me a flange adapter for my intake. Then I just need one more order of silicone depending on what size the intake ends up. Probably going to be a 3" pipe. Originally I was going to run into a B16 intake, but since I decided to rotate the turbo, I thought I would run it into the stock A20 manifold. (A20A1, carb manifold)
    I have not figured out the exhaust yet, but I'll think of something. I'm either going to just run it straight down the engine bay, or possibly do a less than ideal 90 degree bend.

In case you just went "WTF?" ...yes, This is going to be draw through turbo with a Holley 500. The carb is going to end up behind the left headlight.

Vehicle

Looking good can't wait to see it inside the car

Vehicle

What are you using as engine management are you going obd1?

Vehicle
    88 dx & 85 Lude

Quote Originally Posted by Shane86 View Post
    What are you using as engine management are you going obd1?
    There is no engine management. It's carbureted, so all the "engine management" is mechanical. The only electronics involved is the ignition because I have a Megajolt crank fired ignition. Fuel is metered through the modified carb with boost reference to allow more fuel under load. And of course I run a wideband to monitor AFR

Vehicle

That's right you have to be fuel injected to go obd1. Crazy Build dude keep up the good work. I thought about turning the turbo upside down too but then it would throw my down pipe layout completely off with nowhere to run it. You may have to upgrade to that front lower frame replacement suspension bar . For clearance
    Last edited by Shane86; 06-28-2016 at 03:51 PM.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

dont use the carbed manifold. be smart run an IC, and use a b16 intake. you will make gobs more power and it will be fully tuneable.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    88 dx & 85 Lude

Quote Originally Posted by Tdurr View Post
    dont use the carbed manifold. be smart run an IC, and use a b16 intake. you will make gobs more power and it will be fully tuneable.
    No IC. This is drawthrough carb. Fuel is going through the turbo so an IC is impractical/dangerous. I am smart, and I am building it this way with intentionality. I was going to push into a b16 manifold (minus the throttle body..or maybe a gutted throttle body) because the turbo to intake distance was very short, but since i decided to flip the turbo the A20A1 manifold is the best solution with minimal fab. I have been studying drawthrough setups for years (literally) and am mostly doing this as a proof of concept that a drawthrough can be both viable and reliable. If I can get the compressor to clear the block & mount without hitting the radiator, I will go back to the B16 manifold, but I'm still waiting on a couple more things to arrive (plus a work trip soon) before I start in-car fitting. Assuming I am successful, eventually I plan to make (or have made) a turbo manifold designed with my specific carb application in mind. I'm also really looking forward to using my modified oil pan.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

This suck through idea will work even unintercooled but I think you might be better off going blowthrough just for simplicity sake. You will probably lose about 100 degrees F going blowthrough unintercooled from one side of the carb to the other plus your throttle response will be better. You would have to mod the carb for blowthrough but the fastest turbo carb guys I've seen have all been blowthrough. You could even intercool it too. I'm trying to put together a single turbo blowthrough for my friends Ford 5.0 powered mercury comet

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by knifemind View Post
    No IC. This is drawthrough carb. Fuel is going through the turbo so an IC is impractical/dangerous. I am smart, and I am building it this way with intentionality. I was going to push into a b16 manifold (minus the throttle body..or maybe a gutted throttle body) because the turbo to intake distance was very short, but since i decided to flip the turbo the A20A1 manifold is the best solution with minimal fab. I have been studying drawthrough setups for years (literally) and am mostly doing this as a proof of concept that a drawthrough can be both viable and reliable. If I can get the compressor to clear the block & mount without hitting the radiator, I will go back to the B16 manifold, but I'm still waiting on a couple more things to arrive (plus a work trip soon) before I start in-car fitting. Assuming I am successful, eventually I plan to make (or have made) a turbo manifold designed with my specific carb application in mind. I'm also really looking forward to using my modified oil pan.
    Curious if this ever got finished.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!