Thread: Rebuild my a20a3 or swap for b-series

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX-i

Rebuild my a20a3 or swap for b-series

hello I'm new to this website and I'm looking for opinions and answers about an engine swap or not. I'm debating between rebuilding/ building up my stock engine in my 87 accord lxi (a20a3) or swapping it out for a bseries and if so what bseries would be best for my car. I have been looking at the b18c type r but before doing all the work and using all the money I wanted to see what I could potentially do with the a20a3. I just wanna know what's the better way to go overall.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Re: Rebuild my a20a3 or swap for b-series

It depends completely on your personal goals really.

Do some searching, you're definitely not the first to be thinking about this!
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX-i

Right now I'm only 16 and I've researched a lot and don't know what to do. I'm stuck on the decision. The reason I'm stuck on this is because I don't know the potential of my engine now and don't know completely how far I want to go in the future. I do know that the type r would allow me to go a lot further and leave more possibilities for me. I do see that you have what it looks like is a similar engine rebuilt in the picture. Would you be able to give me the potential it has for an idea if I would wanna keep it or step to the next level?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX-i

Also just remembered, if I did the swap would it fit right in or would axles and transmission change and be another worry

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

The ultimate in upgrades is a vtec b series or h22 but they're both a tremendous learning curve requiring loads of veteran automotive skills.
    Modifying your a20a3 is a much more practical approach, getting it obd1 so you can tune it is key.you should have plenty of power for a fun to drive car.
    No don't expect to be the bad ass of the street with any of the choices because there is always somebody faster, it's like so many bone stock cars now that are not even considered fast that are more powerfull, its crazy.
    To me, I get more enjoyment out of my b20 swap because I did it dirt cheap, because the car isn't fast but just a lot faster than its supposed to be, and it drives so much better than when I first got it. Can I beat a 2014 full-size SUV or v6 camaro both over 300hp...no, a stock Infiniti g35, no, a big ass F250 dually pick up with a chipped and tuned powerstroke diesel...nope

For the price you would pay for a b18c, you can fully build an a20. Rods, pistons intake and cam. Depending on your skills you could build a low budget turbo kit too.
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX-i

Thanks you guys, I'm kinda leaning towards the swap but still have both in mind, for the swap would front axles be and issue and what is the potential of a turbo rebuilt original engine

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

The A20 can be frustrating because no one makes aftermarket parts for it. You would of have to mix and match to other honda parts. We have people here that have done tons of research and seen what an a20 can do. From a 164whp NA A20 to a 426whp turbo. Any engine can be made faster just depends on how much money you want to put and your power goals. I say since you are just 16. Learn to work on your engine first instead of trying to tackle something that would be hard. my B swap was around 3.5k-5k took me around 3 months and lots of test fitting. all for what. 50 more HP. at least they make more aftermarket parts for the b series. These cars need torque so a B20 bottom end with a Vtec head would make it move. i just wanted to get rid of my a series because for me it turned to be a money pit that no one wanted to work on it. I had plenty of member here help me but still. save the swap for a much easier chasis like a civic or integra.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX-i

I wanted to do the swap for a more unique thing you won't see every day and just to have some fun with it. At my school they have a shop with everything you could need and a class that I have where I could bring my car in and do it there with my teachers help who is a mechanic. I think I'm gonna save for the swap but I really appreciate your opinion and knowledge and anything you can tell to help me would be amazing, thank you.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX-i

I also wanted to know if anyone can tell me what the deal with the new transmission would be and mean for my axles would it be more custom or is there something I can get that will fit new transmission with my car