Thread: Hey Guys, I want to replace my Carburetor.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Hey Guys, I want to replace my Carburetor.

I love my 1989 Accord Lx but I'm tired of it running like an old tractor! Rough Idle, hesitation and almost stalling out when put into gear, running really rough until its driven for 15 or so minutes then idling better (she likes to be warm), ocassional surging in third or fourth gear under circumstances when I need to give it more gas (symptoms of running out of fuel or bad pump), stalling out when the A/C is on except if I'm cruising or in nuetral pumping the gas pedal.

She still gets 28-30 mpg and cranks up everytime I turn the key, it also fast Idles when it's supposed to on a cold start and I've had the choke pull off replaced and a minor rebuild/float & needle done a few years ago. New fuel pump and both filters, spark plugs/wires replaced less than a year ago, distributor cap & rotor done a few years ago.

Ultimately I just have a really strong feeling this carburetor is just old and crappy. It's a can of worms going through all the ridiculous trial and error diagnostics dealing with it so why not buy a reman and swap it out? I have replaced multiple vaccum lines and checked for leaks. nationalcarburetor.com is selling my carb at a great price right now, with lifetime warranty they stress quality on their carbs and say they test them and will usually be a bolt on and go style job.

Has anyone here replaced there old accord carb? Any advice or recommendations? Much appreciated!!

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: Hey Guys, I want to replace my Carburetor.

if you want to get rid of half the vaccum lines you should swap to a webber carb they range around 250-300 dollars. it will clean up the engine bay and make it more reliable. if you want to stay stock i had a 1988 dx and i went thru 3 carbs and they all didnt run right. I rebuilt 2 with generic rebuild kits from napa auto parts. for performance and price webber is the way to go.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Alright, thanks for the advice!

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Where in FL do you live?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Most common problems with these carbs are external of the carb: thermal sensor switch, vac leaks, vaccum devices, loose parts in the carb throat...
    Sounds like you could advance the base timing a tiny bit by those symptoms.