Thread: Shaker scoop on 3rd gen

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord dx

Shaker scoop on 3rd gen

This is my first post on this forum so we'll see how this goes!
    I've always thought a hood scoop would be kinda cool but for me a scoop isn't much good unless it's serving a purpose like a cold air intake. A lot of old muscle cars had such a scoop. They mounted it directly to the carb and put the filter inside this way the intake was compleatly separate from the hot air in the engine bay. Now for the main reason why I'm posting this.
    I'm concerned about air filter/carb/manifold icing in the winter, I've been looking around on different forums and it sounds like people have mixed results. I'm guessing that the old muscle cars had the advantage that there intakes and carbs where mounted in the middle of an engine with about 2 to 3 times the displacement of these engines and they ran coolent through the bottom of the cast iron manifold. However smaller engines such as the volkswagon bug had problems with icing in the winter without having a scoop purposely cramming the coldest air possible into it.
    So I came up with a possible solution, cut the front out of the air box/scoop from the top all the way down below the hood then put a flapper in the middle about where the closed hood will be, hook up a choke style cable inside the car running out to the flapper, push or pull the flapper and it will change wether the carb is getting its air from inside the warm engine bay or from the cold outside air. This would allow me to close it on those -20 degree mornings until the car warmes up and then open it once the heat gauge starts to move so I can enjoy the benefits of denser air

Ok that was a little longer than I thought it was going to be i drew a rough sketch of what I have in mind now let's see if I can make a picture upload!

By the way this is the air filter I'm planning on using

Amazon.com: aFe 24-91038 Universal Clamp On Air Filter: Automotive

The car I'm putting this on already has a weber 38 and obx header
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	7199  

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Shaker scoop on 3rd gen

Looks good. You gonna build it now?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord dx

I'm planning on it but I was hoping for a little more input on the icing issue. It would kinda be a bummer if I got the whole thing together and on the car looking perty and then found out I would have to run it on warm all the time to keep it from icing:sad2. I've been reading some of the threads on here on cai but it didn't look like anybody had made one destined to bring in air quite this cold.
    On a sidenote the I'm pretty sure the intake does have coolant running though it to try to help with puddling

Vehicle
    88 LXi

There is a heater under the carb to help as well on a 3g.

I know the 1st gens were bad about it stock I had alot of them and always around a damp day right before the snow flies it start icing up.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord dx

Hmm... Heater.. Oh is that what this thing was for? I took it off when I did the carb swap because I wasent sure what it was for. That would make sense thow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	7204  

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

when its cold it heats up the carb to make it run better and not like poop. sounds like an awesome idea the only thing is that our carbs came with fixed carb jets so it would not be able to compensate for more air with out leaning out the motor.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord dx

No worries I already swapped that horrible stock carb for a weber 38 38! 👍

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

sounds like a lil bad ass car. More reliable and powerful. These engine can last a long time with just simple maintenance.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    88 dx & 85 Lude

For a year I ran my Prelude with a 32/36 and a hood scoop right over the carb and had no icing issues. That was without the manifold coolant lines hooked up. I think you'll be fine.

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord dx

sweet! thats what i was hoping for. i was probably going to go ahead and build it anyway, just to try it, but its alwase nice to know if something is going to work before you chop a hole in your hood

DX User

Why not just cut a hole in the back of the air box, and run a duct from the hood scoop to the hole, and add drainage ports?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

You're running a Weber carb? I was about to do a shaker and it was feesable using a 5 inch carb top aadapter that would accept regular 4bbl carb air cleaners. I think you could use the themowax valve to control a vacuum servo to open the vent. It has to be one that's open switch when over like 120 degree coolant and closed below that I'm thinking.
    I aborted my shaker due to wanting to get paint finished before the weather turned cold,so I used a cobra type scoop because I did have a big hole cut for air cleaner clearance.

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord dx

Sorry about not replying sooner but I hadn't seen any other posts for a wile and had stopped paying attention.
    I thought about running a vacuum line off the manafold and running it through the old ported vacuum switch (that's what Napa called it when I asked them for a new one) that's still on the manafold from before the carb swap then from there running it to a vacuum diafram of some sort that's attached to the flapper that should make it open once the engine warms up. Another thought I had was using an electric door lock solinoid, just wire a switch inside the car and then I could actuate it that way. I fingered I'd stick withe the choke cable idea it's a little more fool proof and in case i wind up driving into a 2 inches an hour rain I can keep the water out of the filter and intake.
    As for the filter, I already ordered the one I linked in my original post and as soon as I run out of other more important things to do I plan on getting started on this scoop. I promise! My reason for picking this particular filter is because it's one of the only cone types that can breathe straight through because of its inverted top. From several different places I've heard that carbs especially webers like to have a 2" plus gap between the top of the carb and the bottom of the air cleaner cover. One filter that fit that description was the ramflow ones that are made especially for webers because they don't have a top to speak of unfortunately they aren't easy to find for the 38. So I tried to go with the next best thing.
    I am planning on posting pictures As I go so stay tuned for further developments!

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 accord dx

I have to post pics of my rig. My sleeper solution was to keep the stock airbox with my weber 38. You just cut the bottom out, find a slab of aluminum, dremel/ angle grind/ drill to fit the weber, and bolt it on the stock airbox. No cutting hood/ adding scoops...untill i chuck my current setup for a supercharger. The smog tech hadn't the slightest clue my carb wasn't factory (had all my vac lines looking hooked up).

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord dx

You snuck it past smog? Nice! I sure hope South Dakota doesn't start smoging vehicals any time soon otherwise I'm going to be in trouble

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

sounds like a cool plan

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned