Thread: Owner of a 1988 Accord Lxi 5-speed

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord Lxi

Owner of a 1988 Accord Lxi 5-speed

Greetings, fellow forum users...my name is Kevin. I have owned a 1988 Accord Lxi 5 speed for 6 to 7 years. I recently asked a shop to replace the clutch, and the car drove well for awhile. However, the trans became progressively more difficult to shift from a stopped position, although I had no issues shifting into first gear while engine running, rolling downhill. I was informed that either the shift fork is bent, or the sychros have failed. My automotive repair knowledge base covers mostly older American full- and mid-sized cars, and some experience with older Japanese cars (carbureted and early FI). I need to locate a PDF owner's manual for my car to facilitate trans R & R.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Owner of a 1988 Accord Lxi 5-speed

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilliane View Post
    Greetings, fellow forum users...my name is Kevin. I have owned a 1988 Accord Lxi 5 speed for 6 to 7 years. I recently asked a shop to replace the clutch, and the car drove well for awhile. However, the trans became progressively more difficult to shift from a stopped position, although I had no issues shifting into first gear while engine running, rolling downhill. I was informed that either the shift fork is bent, or the sychros have failed. My automotive repair knowledge base covers mostly older American full- and mid-sized cars, and some experience with older Japanese cars (carbureted and early FI). I need to locate a PDF owner's manual for my car to facilitate trans R & R.
    Two pretty easy things to check yourself is:

1. make sure the oil in the trans is full.

2. the clutch is cable actuated so it can be adjusted. The adjustment is a black knob down on the trans itself front of car. Follow the cable around to it.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Owner of a 1988 Accord Lxi 5-speed

Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW