Thread: Best way to remove transmission at junkyard

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Lx sedan

Best way to remove transmission at junkyard

Hi this is my first post, I have been wanting to do a 5 speed swap but i dont know the best way to get the new transmission out of the donor car without damaging it. At my nearby junkyard you cant use jacks or anything.

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

Re: Best way to remove transmission at junkyard

They're pretty light with no oil in them, compared to the automatic anyways. I remove the passenger side radius rod (or whatever it is, all I know is it adjusts caster), that helps with dropping the trans down. If the donor car is lifted off the ground already you could probably drain it, put some wood underneath it, unbolt it, and slide it out of the clutch/away from the engine. Then have one person slightly pick it up, gradually remove pieces of wood (repeat the lifting and setting down process) until you have enough room to slide it out from under the car. That's how I'd try it

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

if you think it'll be too heavy then remove a back seat from a vehicle, put it under the car, then pry gearbox off the motor (from above) and let it fall on the seat

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

Oh yeah, that works way better! Nice soft landing. Get one out of a luxuy Buick or something haha

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

bring a friend. it will take 30min if ur pulling one from a jy where the cars arnt on the ground. just drop all the suspensin(12mm socket&wrench, 14mm socket) both sides are easy. the bellhousing bolts are simple. just wiggle and bam, you have a transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

As stated, the trans is relatively light. And disabuse yourself of the notion that it will simply fall out once you remove all the bolts. That's only if you're lucky. The way it really works is that you remove all the bolts, the trans sags somewhat and wedges itself in place. Too much sagging can damage the input shaft, so try to prevent this with a stick or something wedged underneath it. You'll spend some time topside yanking and jerking to slide the trans out of the clutch. Once you do, you can lower it to the ground with one hand. Prepare to be caked with filth and grime when it's all done. You'll spend a lot of time rolling around in the oil and dirt under the car, loosening stuff up. Don't drive there in a car you intend to keep clean.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle

Thanks for the ideas i ended picking up a 5 speed hatch for 500$ that im gonna part out

DX User
    Vehicle

How long did it take you to do your mt swap