Thread: Weber-automatic trans

DX User

Weber-automatic trans

I'm in the process of installing a k728 weber kit from pierce. I have the linkage figured out for the TV cable I'm just not sure where to mount the bracket. How much travel does the cable need to have? Does the lever on the trans need to go all the way up or does it just need to move up all the way to WOT?

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord LX, 1986 accord lxi race car, 1987 prelude

Re: Weber-automatic trans

Quote Originally Posted by Ajamben View Post
    I'm in the process of installing a k728 weber kit from pierce. I have the linkage figured out for the TV cable I'm just not sure where to mount the bracket. How much travel does the cable need to have? Does the lever on the trans need to go all the way up or does it just need to move up all the way to WOT?
    I'm not too sure about the travel it needs, but my kick down is run off the petal and not from the carb itself. just a small bit of tweeking and it works just like oem.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

A good starting point is having the cable adjsted so there is zero pull on the tv lever on the tranny. That means the cable is at almost its longest length. Then adjust it so it just starts to move the lever when you have the throttle about 8mm depressed. From that point test drive with a stubby 12 mm wrench handy and pull over to shorten the cable about 3 turns at a time untill the trans shifts at the right rpm and doesnt hold on to gears too long. Once you have that, tweek the adjustment so that it doesnt too easily kickdown but does kick down at a point it doesnt have to rev up high when it does. After that it is a matter of one turn at a time ntill you can cruis at 60 mph and it stays in 5th "overdrive" and doesnt constantly go in and out of overdrive unless you really press or depress the pedal...not overly sensative that is.
    I just swapped back to my 38 from a 32/36 this past week and had to refresh my skills on this procedure. The 38 makes a big differnce in adjustment of the tv because so little throttle is needed to make it go and there is a sweet spot in the tv adjustment to have it shift correctly and not "kickdown" too violently, these will drop down too low of a gear sometimes because the travel of the throttle is very different than on a progressive carb like a oem or 32/36.
    Another note here is you must have your idle situated right before the adjustment or it will be harder to do. Idle should be at 800 to 1000 rpm or lower if you can get it smooth, the lower the better especially with a weber.
    If the idle is too high the tv cable will be fickled to set because the shift timing will be inconsistant. Think of the tv lever as a reader for the throttle position up at the carb and not a "kickdown" technically its a position reference cable kinda think of it like adjusting bike derailier cable I guess...if you ever had to do that before you get what im saying
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 02-25-2016 at 06:50 PM.

DX User

That sounds like what I need, thanks