Thread: '86 accord lx-i type r project

DX User

'86 accord lx-i type r project

Hello world. A few months ago I bought a third gen. Accord as a project. Since then I've done research and found that these little hondas have quite a bit of potential, so I am continuing my journey on this build. I'm going to try to get the most out of my a20 before going to a b16 swap. Since I bought it I have gotten replica mugen wheels, prelude si seats, and lowering springs made by an eibach company. In the near future I am planning ngj platinum spark plugs and wires, Bosch cap and rotor, prelude si axles, 205/55r15 tires, and a new water pump. Any information or advice regarding my build is highly appreciated! I will keep you updated, thank you!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Re: '86 accord lx-i type r project

Welcome. I think the general consensus is that the stock NGK plugs are better than any other plug you can buy for these engines.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

Yep, Either the NGK or Denso plugs are the go with old Hondas.
    I dont really think there is any real advantage going for the platinum or iridium plugs over a standard plug apart from replacement intervals being longer.
    As for going for a B16a , You are not really gaining much imo.
    More power, sure but less torque i think.
    The old A series has proven to be a good old engine for both NA or turbo applications .
    try going with the standard intake, header and exhaust mods and go from there .
    If you were to transplant , depending where you are in the world of course , i'd be looking more at the H22a , B18c or even k series now someone is working on mounts to suit the 3g .
    Or if you dont mind doing it the hard way , B20a is an option.Harder to find, get bits for and find manual gearboxes for , but good for an easy 190-200 hp at the flywheel without being a hand grenade .

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by Hauntd ca3 View Post
    Yep, Either the NGK or Denso plugs are the go with old Hondas.
    I dont really think there is any real advantage going for the platinum or iridium plugs over a standard plug apart from replacement intervals being longer.
    As for going for a B16a , You are not really gaining much imo.
    More power, sure but less torque i think.
    The old A series has proven to be a good old engine for both NA or turbo applications .
    try going with the standard intake, header and exhaust mods and go from there .
    If you were to transplant , depending where you are in the world of course , i'd be looking more at the H22a , B18c or even k series now someone is working on mounts to suit the 3g .
    Or if you dont mind doing it the hard way , B20a is an option.Harder to find, get bits for and find manual gearboxes for , but good for an easy 190-200 hp at the flywheel without being a hand grenade .
    OK. Thanks. After thinking it over I think I will go with an NA A20. What do you guys think in the suspension. I already have adjustable lowering springs. But is there anything else? For example suspension parts froma 3g prelude and what rear rotors will fit my car??