Thread: Valve seal replacement.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi Coupe

Valve seal replacement.

I have a horrible smoking problem when i wake up in the morning. It's getting worse as it's getting colder. I want to repair this problem at least until this fall, could i replace the valve seals and be through w/ this problem? I was reading where it could be the valve guide seals too. But shouldn't the valve seal replacement stop the smoking at least temporarily? Someone please help i really don't want to fix the wrong thing(too expensive)!
    Last edited by Chrome_thangs; 01-23-2003 at 02:44 PM.
    2.25 Sprint drop w/ Bilstien struts in rear & Koni's in the front, moddified 94-97 Accord CAI, JDM power folding mirrors, Prelude A arms, Naxos exhaust, K&N Filter, Accel coil, Advanced timing, NGK-R plugs, 7.5mm wires, Apc H4 headlight conversion, PIAA hyper plasma bulbs every where, 17" Exel Maj rims wrapped in 205/40 17 Kumho tires, w/ 5% platinum tint, painted calipers & drums, shaved tail lights, moldings, antana, squirters, and emblems, Clarion DRB3675 head unit w/ Clarion 6x9s

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Valve seals are easier to replace so i assume the wear out quicker and cause the most problems with oil leaking.
    Exhaust have black springs on the valve seal
    Intake has white springs on the valve seal.
    the valve guide is like a bearring i think that is inside the head and not easily removed.

I have a giant mass of oil on my intake valves... I assume its the seals. though i don't plan on using that head again.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi Coupe
    now i'm really confused, now i'm reading that it might be the ring seals! If i replace the valve steam seals and it's the ring seals will it still stop the smoking? Questions Questions!
    2.25 Sprint drop w/ Bilstien struts in rear & Koni's in the front, moddified 94-97 Accord CAI, JDM power folding mirrors, Prelude A arms, Naxos exhaust, K&N Filter, Accel coil, Advanced timing, NGK-R plugs, 7.5mm wires, Apc H4 headlight conversion, PIAA hyper plasma bulbs every where, 17" Exel Maj rims wrapped in 205/40 17 Kumho tires, w/ 5% platinum tint, painted calipers & drums, shaved tail lights, moldings, antana, squirters, and emblems, Clarion DRB3675 head unit w/ Clarion 6x9s

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    oh from the pistons... yeah that happens too.
    - llia

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    what color is the smoke?
    if it is blue than it is valve seals. i have done them twice on my car. my car smokes when it is cold and when it gets hot it stops.
    my problem is valve guides.
    so, if you replace the valve seals and the smoke problem won't go away, get a new head, or take the one of your engine and take it to a mashine shope for new valve guides.

if the smoke is black, you are running rich.

if the skoke is gray, it is your piston rings. which means new engine.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    its probably cheaper to just get another good head, to do valve guides you must also grind the valve seats....
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord Lx - automatic-carb
    White smoke is either coolant or simply an increased amount of moisture being burned off in the morning.

You live in Georgia - it's humid and cold right now. Both of those make for more white smoke or moisture burn-off in the morning. Water is a by-product of engine combustion. This may well be all you're seeing.

Top off your coolant in both the radiator and the overflow tank, then watch the level of these 2. If it holds, you're not losing coolant and therefore you likely do not have a faulty head gasket.

If your coolant level is not holding and you blow white smoke ALL or most of the time, then you could have a faulty head gasket.
    If the white smoke issue only occurs in the morning at first start-up and goes away some minutes later, you're simply dealing with the moisture being burned off by the engine and again, this happens more in humid weather and especially humid/cold weather.
    Lester

LX User
    Its not a bad job to replace valve stem seals to fix smoking engines in morning. You can do them using a rope down the spark plug hole ,To keep the valves from falling down into cylinder. I've done several engines on mopar 3.0 V-6s. They are known for them going bad. But the best way is with compressed air into spark plug hole to keep valves in place. You need a valve spring compresser,spark plug air chuck(can be home made). a very small magnet to catch valve keepers,a nice small angle pry bar to get frozen seals off valves,pentrating fliud, oil ,a deep wheel socket that fits over seal tight to tap onto valve stem. Ive never did a honda yet but same principel. I got away with leaving timing belt on the v-6s by using a spare cam bearing holder on end of camshaft to keep in down when adding air to a cylinder so the cam on oppiste side did not rise far up in air. If the entire cam could stay in place would be a plus and time saver. Hopefully just the rocker arm assemblies can be removed from entire engine thus leaving cam/timing belt in place using a spare/boneyard one on side. I like the valve stem seals that look copper and have a small spring that goes around tip,those are made by Felpro company. They seem better then the solid black ones. Good luck

DX User
    Blue smoke is oil burning, which can be from worn valve stem seals or guides, and/or it could be from worn piston rings. The easiest thing is to change the valve stem seals. Since the intakes see vacuum and the exhausts pressure, it's usually the intake valves that suck in the oil. You can test for worn piston rings by doing a compression test. Hope that helps.