Thread: help moving battery to trunk

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Fn' Blue Honda Accord Lxi 4dr

help moving battery to trunk

How does one go about safely moving their battery to their trunk without too much trouble...if it is too much trouble then im guessing ill just forget the intake.....help

Micah
    "But no matter how much you tune it, it is still just an 86."

Kyoichi Sodou
    ~Initial D

MOds: bunch...if you see blue streak by catch up to me and ill show you ^_^

Vehicle
    88 Hybrid Accord LX-i
    It'll take you about 2 to 3 hours to do it properly.
    you need to get a fat battery cable, run it through the firewall using a grommet ofcourse (safety first). Then run it all the way to the back.
    You will notice where the original positive cable is going from the battery to the black box.
    Thats where your cable will bolt to. You will have to run a small line from that black box to the starter as well.

Ground can be strapped from your battery to your trunk's chassis for ground.

Then strap your battery down with the battery holder (sold in any auto parts store) and your set!
    http://vtecnos.tripod.com

Member Since 7-9-01

Vehicle
    88 Hybrid Accord LX-i
    Oh! forgot to mention, you will have to drill a few holes in your trunk in order to get your battery holder in place.
    http://vtecnos.tripod.com

Member Since 7-9-01

LXi User
    Vehicle
    any pics of the battery in the trunk..like how its mounted and wheres the best place to...i have a pretty big bandpass box with my 2 subs in my trunk

Kyoichi Sodou
    ~Initial D

Vehicle
    '95 Supra, '08 CBR 600RR, '89 LX-i Coupe (R.I.P.), '88 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.), '87 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.)
    i know there was another thread where someone posted a link for a kit to do this. i think it was micah(GDGuy11B), he said that it would've been cheaper had he bought the kit online instead of buying all the parts and wire himself.
    Greg

1989 LX-i 2dr 5spd (R.I.P.)

2008 CBR 600RR -- 1995 Toyota Supra NA -- 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    yeah i think summitracing sells a kit. maybe jcw, i am not sure...

Vehicle
    rob has one. i forget what kind it is. talk to him about it. Rob550t or something.
    -Grant. I'm just a pirate chasing booty.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    i have one that is being moved to the trunk. I got it from summit racing cause it comes complete with everything. the box snugs good on the far right of my trunk with no problem. U need to drill holes for the ground and then for the battery hosts. U will be running 2 AWG wires for both positive and negative. 2 gauge is a bitch but, it will work around. I ran it on the passenger side like always and drilled holes, put a screw thru, bolted it down and put some weather seat on the bottom and the top. IT was all done with the place holders included in the kit. not to mention, it runs under the carpet for a cleaner look. I dont know about this, but i am thinking about cutting out my carpet around the box to have a cleaner look and also be able to pull my spare out.

mine does not run thru the fire wall, mine runs thru the premade hole in the passenger fender near the passenger front door. i just popped it off and it was possible to get it thru there. also, i am planning to connect that cable (from the battery) to the (+)ve cable in the engine bay using the audio connector junction box. ANd bolt that to the frame.
    Last edited by smufguy; 02-01-2003 at 08:21 PM.

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    It is from summitracing.com I was thinking about doing this b/c I want to make a nice airbox for my cone filter to keep air in from the hood scoop. I think the kit is like $50. Please post some pics of where your battery is and maybe on some of the process.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250
    Its real easy to do i did get the battery kit from summit with the tray. Basically i removed the passenger side fender and you will find a nice grommet near the door and its perfect for the power wire and ran it down the channel along the pass side. I mounted my tray on the right side of my trunk but its all custom and screwed it to the wood platform i made. I would have liked to have mounted it in front of my strut bar by the back seat but its too close the the gas tank if something were to happen. Just make sure to fuse the main line or use a circuit breaker to make sure your safe in the event the line grounds out or have an accident.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch (5-speed)
    i got the kit and installed it. but when i drive around it makes a squeeking noise. can anyone help?? it is soooo annoying... please help

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    the squeeking noise, where is it from? is it from the battery moving around? or is it from the holders? IF it is, put a rubber washer in and that should dampen it.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    So moke ur doings that hood scoop thing also?..i saw it on that one dudes car and i have to do it to mine too...if i can find a CAI i wont worry about it but if i have to get a regular short intake i wanna do that scoop..wonder if it is worth the trouble to move the battery to the trunk?

Kyoichi Sodou
    ~Initial D

Vehicle
    98 Av6 3oh
    I gotta HB spo i cant moe mine to the back...
    But I was thinking about putting it back there in a box or somthing...whats this your saying about the ground? grounding the battery to the car and just running the poss. to the engine bay? WTF?

-Travis-

Vehicle
    Originally posted by 3g Jester
    I gotta HB spo i cant moe mine to the back...
    But I was thinking about putting it back there in a box or somthing...whats this your saying about the ground? grounding the battery to the car and just running the poss. to the engine bay? WTF?
    as long as you have some floor space i'm sure you can move it. if the box the kit comes with isn't good enough than build a firewall around it.
    -Grant. I'm just a pirate chasing booty.

Vehicle
    98 Av6 3oh
    Im a DIY id build the box anyway---then it would form fit my car exactly how i want.

-Travis-