Thread: advice for rebuild?! help me plan a route//

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

advice for rebuild?! help me plan a route//

ok there guys... my car has 227,000 miles on it. and i am really hesitant to drive it very hard. for fear of messing something up.

SO, i figure performing a rebuild would be a good idea. now in the future i really would like to turbo the car, but its not a 100% needed plan... only something i would like to do. for that reason i am unsure of wether or not i should put in stock pistons, or if i should actually invest in some higher CR forged pistons, and then sell them if i ever actually do go turboed.

anyway lets assume i stay with stock pistons. would the rest of the rebuild be any different if i used the higher CR pistons?

also, if i rebuild it just like stock, will it hold up to racing well? and if not, what are teh parts i need to look out for and upgrade. i really want to take the car out to the track on weekends once our drag racing starts up again... but i need it to handle the abuse.

anyway basically what should i put in the engine when doing a rebiuld. at this point i am leaning towards higher CR pistons, since turbo (done right) is a few thousand dollar project by itself!

also whats a realistic cost estimate? right now the engine is fine. so i am not in a huge rush. plus i will want to do all the work when i am on a break from school and can spare 2 weeks for the project!

help me out here!

Vehicle
    i would say that with our engines what you should really concentrate on is the engine's ability to breath. i think the stock rods, pistons, and internals (bottom end) are plenty strong and capable of standing up to some abuse. they have lasted 227,000 miles. trying to get our engines to work more efficiently in the power catagory rather than the energy consumption catagory should be what we concentrate on. Honda did a good job of getting these engine's to work efficiently with the sacrifice of power, so we have to get out all that hidden potential and sacrifice emissions in my opinion. breathing is what our engines really have to do. i would say rebuild to OEM, upgrading the exhaust as much as possible and concentrate on getting air in.like you said, turbo, so work on a light boost system.
    -Grant. I'm just a pirate chasing booty.

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    i am sure these engines dont hold up to racing 20 runs a week all summer long...

anyway... if what you say is true, and they really can hold up. i think i will just have to rebuild to OEM, with higher CR pistons for now, and just polish and balance, and play that whole game. the turbo is gonna happen in a car that was meant to scream. a CRX. hopefully i will find a good one to work on by summer! its gonna have b16 turbo... and will be significantly faster than the 3g! heheh

however, the idea is. after i am used to boost on teh crx car i may work on some custom turbo stuff for the accord. i want the accord to be my daily driver though. i have no intentions of this crx needing to be daily driven! heh

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    get high CR pistons, get a rebuild kit from PEPBOYZ or somthin and rebuild with the new pistons to stock specks... get a nice cam from colt cams and get a setup of ram air somehow... also get a hi flo cat... good prices at www.discountconverter.com

Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    and if you wanna go fast... trade subs with AMBER!!!!!!!! hehehe

Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback