Thread: 89 LX Daily Driver

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX

89 LX Daily Driver

Hey all, I gotta say I never had any respect for hondas, or ricers in general, but this manual carbeurated piece of work is the car that made me fall in love with these old dinosaurs. In short, if I'm gonna keep it it'll need a complete overhaul... 302,000 miles on it and the suspension is shot (needs shocks & ball joints all around) but it still sprints to 90 without any vibrations wobbles or hesitations. Those Japs really outdid themselves on these things. I know I dont have the money for a full resto, but even if i did do you guys think its worth it?
    So here are the problems: engine leaks oil from everywhere, which is expected but not a good thing when you gotta drive 100 miles a day, tranny has problems shifting into reverse sometimes (the synchro's goin I think), the suspension needs a complete overhaul (idk where to even look for some of the parts), and the body rust on the undercarriage is probally alot worse than the couple of fist-size holes underneath the front doors. The interior is still in good shape, but the rust kinda worries me. With the work that needs to go into it is it worth sinkin any time and money into fixin it or should I just run it till it dies? If I do rebuild and restore, I'd wanna give it some more speed and power, but I'm not lookin to make it a 10 second dragster. I love the thing, and wanna make it fun project, but am I chasing my tail here?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: 89 LX Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RustyG3ears View Post
    do you guys think its worth it?
    Well, we all think they are worth restoring, or we wouldn't be here. LOL.

The answer depends on how much you love it. I'd be looking carefully at the rust. If you have safety inspections in your state, a failed inspection could be a deal breaker. Beyond that, the rust will be very expensive to fix. If you can do it yourself, that will make it a lot more economical. If not, then you might consider a donor chassis. Before you make any decisions, you owe it to yourself to get under the car and determine the full extent of the rust.

BTW, I don't think reverse has any syncros. That's why it's hard to get in gear. They're all like that.
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 10-26-2016 at 07:53 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX

Re: 89 LX Daily Driver

Awesome, so it might not be as bad as I figured 😋 Imo the rust is way too bad but thats only bc i dont know what to do with it, I never really learned much about body work. I know how to wrench, how to fix mechanical shit but when it comes to sheet metal if it doesnt involve a drill or caulk gun I'm kinda lost. The good news is I might've found a donor car, or another toy to play with at least (an '88 LX) the only problem is a torn/split dash and the fact that its an automatic. Maybe even a resto to look nice and a sleeper for the car meets... If nothing else it'll be fun to see how much oomph i can squeeze outta that a20 engine. Anyways, if i start this project, an engine swap/rebuild would be next to last on my list, so what would be the best/cheapest/easiest/most sensible thing to start first? exhaust, suspension, body rust?
    Byw bear in mind that this is the first time I'll be working on improving a car, up till now I've only fixed whatever broke on me