I wanted to start this thread so I could post all my problems in one spot as we go along, to help keep it all in one spot for myself, and others, to reference later if needed. So I'm working on this car I got a few days ago. Running fairly well for a car this old. Definitely in far better shape than some of the 10 year old cars I've owned in the past. There are a few things I've run into that need addressing.
-Oil seems to be coming up out of the oil cap. The cover has been wiped, but the lip just below the cap seems to be pooling a small bit of oil. I've now wiped the area again to be sure and will check tomorrow.
- Does this appear to be the stock cap? I'm thinking it's a random aftermarket one, as it's not really tight and the whole oil spillage from this area.
- This vacuum module only has 1 hose attached, as you can see. However, that 1 hose doesn't go to anything. It's just kinda there, and goes across the front of the engine. Actually, there are a couple other spots that are likely requiring vacuum lines that are missing.
-These wires come off the air intake. I assume they go to an early style of MAF, of sorts. As you can see, they aren't connected to anything.
- There is a hose on the driver side of the carb. It's plugged with a screw. It looks like it's on a plastic container that connects like 6 or so hoses in one spot, but this is the last one. Pic will come later.
- I'm losing coolant somewhere. It's not leaking from the radiator, and I don't see it coming out of the hoses. Checking the oil it looks normal not like chocolate milk or from some other contaminant. The car barely even gets to the halfway point on the temp gauge, so I'm lead to believe it's not the head gasket. As afar as the oil goes, at most I could say it's a bit thin or runny, as if not enough. But that may just be a case of synthetic oil - based on the coloration. Lastly, there's no white smoke. And it certainly doesn't smell sweet. Then again, I've only had a few instances of white smoke, but it always smells like oil/fuel, not weird/coolant - blue usually means bad rings, so I think those are fine for now. I've only seen some smoke when i give it more gas to move and not let off the clutch as much, as well as when it's cold - though neither are guaranteed to happen, those just happen to be when i notice it the most.
- Do these cars have a transmission/engine setup where the transmission and engine share the same oil? I know they did this on some of the older Honda motorbikes, the CT90 and CT110 in particular, but a few other examples can be found. Mainly asking because I only find one dipstick, so it would seem that way to me.
- What is the quart capacity of these engines? The previous owner said 3 quarts, but just wanna make sure. I did buy 3 quarts of high mileage 10w-30, but being n older car I could see possibly going 10w-40.
- And lastly, I saw in a thread somebody wanted one of these diagrams from California, so figured I'd take a pic of mine.
image hosting site