Thread: Bad Reving Help???

DX User

Bad Reving Help???

Alight I have an 88 accord lxi. When it is cold and only when it is cold the engine will rev from like 1200rmps to 1900rpms. Just like rev up then directly back down, like vrum vra vrum vra vrum vra. I am wondering if anyone knows what is goign on, I would like ti fixed. Thanks Rich
    88 accord Lx-i, 17" Enkies, Lowered 2.5" Intake, 2 1/2 exhaust, injectors,

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&t...t=idle+problem

Do a search on "bad idle". That should return something.

Vehicle
    Then (89 LX-i) Now (94 EX)
    Also check out this thread, it has a bunch of useful info. I had that same problem you described. I adjusted the screw in the warm air idle valve and everything has been fina after that.

https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&t...highlight=idle

Cameron

Vehicle
    Also this is an immage showing where the adjustment screw is located. Just remove the cap, and tighten the screw beneith.

Cameron

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    thats the fast idle valve and somtimes they get junked up, but id adjust ur Idle air screw on the TB before you mess with the fast idle valve. An easy trick to see if the fast idle valve is bad is to wait until the car is warmed up, and if its still idling funny like you say then take the 2 screws off the top of the Fast idle valve and stick ur finger in the middle of the black plate and try and seal it off, and if the idle goes back to normal within a second or 2 then thats ur problem.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
    thats the fast idle valve and somtimes they get junked up, but id adjust ur Idle air screw on the TB before you mess with the fast idle valve. An easy trick to see if the fast idle valve is bad is to wait until the car is warmed up, and if its still idling funny like you say then take the 2 screws off the top of the Fast idle valve and stick ur finger in the middle of the black plate and try and seal it off, and if the idle goes back to normal within a second or 2 then thats ur problem.
    Yep thats the fast idle adjustment screw, from the sound of his problem (constant revs from 1200 to 1900) that would be the answer, not the normal idle screw. You should check the warm idle valve first, then adjust your normal idle control screw on the actual throttle body to about 800-900 rpm at idle.

Cameron