Thread: 1988 LX-i 4 Door

DX User

1988 LX-i 4 Door

Hey guys, just bought a 1988 4 door LX-i as my first car.

The PO seemingly kept the car in good mechanical shape, but dgaf about the interior.
    I'm a bit of a car noob, but hopefully I'll change that through ownership of this car. I've tried to use the search bar to little avail, and
    I have a few questions regarding some things that need replacing/fixing:

1. The door handle on the drivers side is broken and the lock cylinder is missing, no idea how it got like that. How do I
    replace this (and where do I get the part) and is it possible to get a blank or different lock cylinder and have a locksmith key it to my key or from one of the other
    cylinders on the car?

2. The radio is pretty old and I'd like to replace it with something that has AUX capability. I know I need a harness for the connector, but do I need anything else
    besides that and the new radio?

3. What are the best floor mats for this car? Preferably looking for all weather ones like weathertech, but I'm not sure what the fit is like. I'd prefer to stick to
    aftermarket or something cheap rather than hunt down OEM mats. Are there any that stand out as far as fit goes?

4. The rear driver's side door seal is hanging off the door in places and is ripped in the spots where the little plastic hooks go into it, is there a cheap replacement?

5. It should be visible in the picture, but the driver's side headlight is slightly tilted like it was installed imperfectly. Not a huge issue and it looks OK as is, but if
    it's not a huge hassle then I would like to reseat it. Is there a guide for this anywhere?

6. The trunk door is not original and was taken off another car and painted. It appears to sit slightly more to the left than the right, and the gap between the door
    and the body of the car is a little too wide on the right. I haven't checked the seal yet but similar to #5 is there an easy or simple way to attempt to reseat it?

7. Is there a guide to changing the shift boot? It is currently ripped and pretty old and I'd like to purchase a replacement.

I appreciate any insight on any of these questions, and I look forward to being a part of this community. I can certainly post more pics if it would shed light on
    any of these issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download_20170129_192744.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	8002   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170129_161810.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	8003  

Re: 1988 LX-i 4 Door

Quote Originally Posted by MrPyromaniac View Post
    Hey guys, just bought a 1988 4 door LX-i as my first car.

The PO seemingly kept the car in good mechanical shape, but dgaf about the interior.
    I'm a bit of a car noob, but hopefully I'll change that through ownership of this car. I've tried to use the search bar to little avail, and
    I have a few questions regarding some things that need replacing/fixing:

1. The door handle on the drivers side is broken and the lock cylinder is missing, no idea how it got like that. How do I
    replace this (and where do I get the part) and is it possible to get a blank or different lock cylinder and have a locksmith key it to my key or from one of the other
    cylinders on the car?

2. The radio is pretty old and I'd like to replace it with something that has AUX capability. I know I need a harness for the connector, but do I need anything else
    besides that and the new radio?

3. What are the best floor mats for this car? Preferably looking for all weather ones like weathertech, but I'm not sure what the fit is like. I'd prefer to stick to
    aftermarket or something cheap rather than hunt down OEM mats. Are there any that stand out as far as fit goes?

4. The rear driver's side door seal is hanging off the door in places and is ripped in the spots where the little plastic hooks go into it, is there a cheap replacement?

5. It should be visible in the picture, but the driver's side headlight is slightly tilted like it was installed imperfectly. Not a huge issue and it looks OK as is, but if
    it's not a huge hassle then I would like to reseat it. Is there a guide for this anywhere?

6. The trunk door is not original and was taken off another car and painted. It appears to sit slightly more to the left than the right, and the gap between the door
    and the body of the car is a little too wide on the right. I haven't checked the seal yet but similar to #5 is there an easy or simple way to attempt to reseat it?

7. Is there a guide to changing the shift boot? It is currently ripped and pretty old and I'd like to purchase a replacement.

I appreciate any insight on any of these questions, and I look forward to being a part of this community. I can certainly post more pics if it would shed light on
    any of these issues.
    welcome

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

Re: 1988 LX-i 4 Door

Welcome. Shift boot kits can be bought at eBay. I remove my center console and the shift knob Twist Off and part of the center console splits into two pieces
    Attached Images Attached Images