Thread: ES2 Engine 1985 Accord Timing Belt Replacement

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985 Honda Accord

ES2 Engine 1985 Accord Timing Belt Replacement

I want to start off by saying, this is my first Honda, and my first big job as it's owner.
    It's a 1985 2ndGen Honda Accord Hatchback with an ES2 engine with 155K miles, which I originally thought would be easy to find help for.

I need to know what new seals I would need for after the replacement is done. I would guess I need a new seal for the timing belt cover, but if I'm forgetting any other parts please let me know.

My plan for getting to the timing belt assembly is by removing the guards underneath the engine, and attempting to work from inside the driver's side wheel well. If any of you have advice, please, I would love to learn more about my car.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Re: ES2 Engine 1985 Accord Timing Belt Replacement

I don't know that you'll find the new seals for the timing cover itself. They are just dust seals anyways, and are not necessarily critical. Any "Timing Cover Kits" that I have found at parts stores just end up being a big box with just a front main seal and that's it. You'll probably want that front main though for sure. Good to replace it when you put in the belt.

You could replace the camshaft seal while you're in there, if you feel like pulling off the cam gear. If it was nice and clean under there and not leaking, then I might not bother with this one. I have a tendency to make oil leaks worse when I replace those crank seals!

It sounds like you're on the right path, though. I end up working from underneath the car a bit, and from over the fender. The hardest part of that job when I did it last was getting wrenches into all the tight areas around the accessories. Pulling the belts ended up taking forever. Especially since you have to basically pry on the alternator to tension it's belt, there's no adjustment bolt.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985 Honda Accord

Re: ES2 Engine 1985 Accord Timing Belt Replacement

Thank you so much for responding so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post

Pulling the belts ended up taking forever. Especially since you have to basically pry on the alternator to tension it's belt, there's no adjustment bolt.
    I sort of guessed it would be that way, however I didn't realize the alternator doesn't adjust, so thank you for the heads up. As far as seals go I'll look into the front main and camshaft seal if I really do need them. Clambering around underneath the car being the (one of) the only way(s) seems more reassuring now, I think I needed just a small push in the form of someone else's experience. Thank you for your advice.