Thread: [Electrical] All sorts of alternator info

DX User

[Electrical] All sorts of alternator info

This is not necessarily a guide for anything, but more of an information post that gathers information that is here in the forums and from information from first and second edition service manuals.

Alternator Wiring

Sense: This wire helps the alternator to maintain proper and steady voltage. This gets connected to any remote (12volt constant) location. Some people have tagged this wire to the starter post or fuse box, but any 12V location should be fine. (mine is on a switch)

Ignition: This wire Goes to switched ignition. This wire will only get 12V when the car is on. The purpose of this wire to charge the field winding's. any loaction that only has 12v when the car is on will work. (mine is on a switch)

Lamp: This wire tells us when there is a problem with our alternators, and gets connected to the negative side of a warning lamp. the alternator outputs a ground when its not charging, and outputs 12V when it is. (mine is hooked to (-) on a led)

FR: If anyone has info on this wire, please pm me. From what i can tell is it runs to the ECU on the fuel injected models. Members have reported that the car functions properly without any check lights without it.

************************************************** ************************************************** ********************
    Since the FR wire isnt vital to the cars operation, this allows fuel injected and carbd alternators to be interchangeable.
    79-83 Toyota pickup Alternators can be modified to work on our A series motors. the external dimensions are the same, but you will have to run an external voltage regulator (easy to find online).
    A little more about the Lamp wire since i didnt go into it.... The lamp wire gets connected to the negative side of your charge light or an led . The positive side of the led gets connected to something with switch power. factory it gets the 12v from the Ignition wire.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ********************

More coming in a minute.

DX User

Re: [Electrical] All sorts of alternator info

Warning lamp test from the second edition service manual (see attached pictures)

Alternator voltage when running should be between 12.5 and 14.1, but you want to right around 14.

if your alternator is not charging....

Test your battery First. Then the check alternator belt for signs of wear, make sure it has tension.
    Check the Alternator and battery fuse next. Then check fuse No.1 in the dash fuse box, and fuse No.8 in the hood fuse box.
    Grab a multi meter, Pull the plug out the back of the alternator, turn your key to the on position.
    Use the meter to check if the Ignition wire and Sense wire have power.
    If those wires dont have voltage when the key is on, then check your fuses again, and then check for breaks in the wire.

Alternator brush's
    Remove the end cover of the alternator to remove the Brush. the brush will only have 2 screws holding it in.
    once removed, use a vernier caliper to measure brush length.Standard: 10.5mm Service: 5.5mm.
    When replacing, use only rosin core type solder or it will corrode.

Stator test
    After removinf the stator you will see a ring running along the inside (coil wire), and multiple leads sticking out the top.
    using a meter, make sure there is continuity between each lead. then make sure there is no continuity between the coil wire and the leads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	8059  
    Last edited by noidea24; 03-08-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by noidea24 View Post
    Remove the end cover of the alternator to remove the Brush. the brush will only have 2 screws holding it in.
    once removed, use a vernier caliper to measure brush length.Standard: 10.5mm Service: 5.5mm.
    When replacing, use only rosin core type solder or it will corrode.
    Are you sure about this? It's been a long time since I rebuilt a Honda alternator, but I recall having to crack the case and remove all the internals before getting to the brushes.

Good write up. We'll sticky it for others.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

No Snooze , you just have to take off the back cover and 2 screws that hold the brush holder in place .
    Should be able to buy a brush holder for 5 or 10 bucks without any problems .
    Takes maybe 10 minutes on the bench , could probably do it in place if you were keen enough

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Well that's sure a lot nicer than the one on my '76. That one was all sealed up inside the case. I haven't rebuilt one since. I just replace the whole shebang now.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW