Thread: PCV valve,how to take out ?

Vehicle
    Honda Prelude BA2 1987 2.0i-16V. B20A1

PCV valve,how to take out ?

I want to replace my pcv-valve,already have a new one but since it is not threaded or anything i wonder how i can take the old one out ? Should a i just pull it out or something ? And how does the new one stay put ? I believe it is sitting in a rubber,do i also have to take that out or maybe even together ? Do i have to bleed anything before taking the pcv out ?
    Any answer appreciated,

Auke.

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord LXI

Re: PCV valve,how to take out ?

Quote Originally Posted by AWH View Post
    I want to replace my pcv-valve,already have a new one but since it is not threaded or anything i wonder how i can take the old one out ? Should a i just pull it out or something ? And how does the new one stay put ? I believe it is sitting in a rubber,do i also have to take that out or maybe even together ? Do i have to bleed anything before taking the pcv out ?
    Any answer appreciated,

Auke.
    hey Auke,

yes it just pulls out and pushes back in just remember to make sure its seated properly. no need to bleed anything. just make sure you but the right end down to ensure properly air flow. There is a rubber housing in the engine block that the pcv seats in to keep it in place during normal engine operation.

i would advise changing just the pcv right now just inspect the rubber housing with a flashlight to make sure its not cracked damaged or broken. you can find the replacements for those pcv housing into the block

Vehicle

Thanks a lot J,i know just what to do now without ruïning anything, so i can get on with it.Thanks for the quick response.

Auke

Vehicle

Well,i thought i knew what to do,but now i'm not even sure where the pcv valve is positioned. Is it underneath the intakemanifold attached to ,and on top off, a relatively small black plastic box? And if it is,do i have to take off the intakemanifold to get to it to replace it ? It seems so to me.

Auke.

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

Well,i thought i knew what to do,but now i'm not even sure where the pcv valve is positioned. Is it underneath the intakemanifold attached to ,and on top off, a relatively small black plastic box? And if it is,do i have to take off the intakemanifold to get to it to replace it ? It seems so to me.

Auke.
    here's a sample picture of the area the valve is connected to a rubber hose that connects to the top of the intake you can grab it and wiggle and pull the valve out from the top
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170608_162005.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	8328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170608_161827.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	8329  

Vehicle

Thanks Shane,those are clear pics,really usefull. Although i believe those are of a fuel injected car.Mine is an '85 2 gen dual carbed Prelude,should be more or less the same place ? I now am even starting to wander if i even have a pcv valve. Do i ?

Auke.

Vehicle

Thanks Shane,those are clear pics,really usefull. Although i believe those are of a fuel injected car.Mine is an '85 2 gen dual carbed Prelude,should be more or less the same place ? I now am even starting to wander if i even have a pcv valve. Do i ?

Auke.
    Check for the black box next to the oil filter

Vehicle

OK, So indeed that is the pcv valve.I just don't see how to get there without having to take off my intakemanifold.You've been a great help sofar but any idea's about that ?

And the new pcv valve i got of Ebay seems to pass air both ways,is it supposed to ? Ifso,what is the function then,because without a valve, air can also travel both ways ?

Auke.
    Last edited by AWH; 06-10-2017 at 03:12 AM.

Vehicle

All right ! Got it! Replaced pcv valve,absolutely almost impossible to reach,but could just get in with one hand,wiglgle it loose like you said ...and then couldn't get the new one in with one hand because of the clip which also had to be released . Well,dumped the clip,hose was well enough attached to my opinion ,and could just squeeze in the valve with a few fingers "holding" the hose and pushing in the valve with my thumb...It sits a bit loose in the rubber seating but can't replace that for now ,just cannot reach it,but i believe it's ok for now,it's not leaking air as i can tell.
    Old pcv valve was really oily at the bottom,is that normal ?
    Thanks to all for your input.

Auke.

LS, what does "pcv" valve stand for actually ?
    Last edited by AWH; 06-10-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Vehicle

All right ! Got it! Replaced pcv valve,absolutely almost impossible to reach,but could just get in with one hand,wiglgle it loose like you said ...and then couldn't get the new one in with one hand because of the clip which also had to be released . Well,dumped the clip,hose was well enough attached to my opinion ,and could just squeeze in the valve with a few fingers "holding" the hose and pushing in the valve with my thumb...It sits a bit loose in the rubber seating but can't replace that for now ,just cannot reach it,but i believe it's ok for now,it's not leaking air as i can tell.
    Old pcv valve was really oily at the bottom,is that normal ?
    Thanks to all for your input.

Auke.

LS, what does "pcv" valve stand for actually ?
    Sorry I wasn't much help mines fuel injected it is pretty easy to get to. yeah they get pretty oily .pcv positive crankcase ventilation

Vehicle

Are you jokin' ? Without youre help i still wouldn't even be sure where the thing was at ...and now i even know what the heck i just replaced..

Vehicle

Are you jokin' ? Without youre help i still wouldn't even be sure where the thing was at ..
    Glad you got it inn