Thread: What performance struts are available?

DX User

What performance struts are available?

I want to purchase a set of H&R lowering springs for my car but there are no struts available that can handle the spring rate. I read a thread about people revalving Bilsteins but they don't make anything for our cars anymore. What are you guys running or what's available now?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: What performance struts are available?

https://www.3geez.com/forum/suspensi...-bad-ugly.html

these are pretty reasonable price and you can lower your car very easy. I woundn 't get the kit I got but the regualr kit has some more sane spring rates.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

I've read mixed reviews on them , but D2 make a couple different fully adjustable coil over set ups for the 3 g , if i could find reviews on the flash, tarmac rally ones , i'd be looking at some of those .
    Not super cheap , but still fully adjustable

DX User

Yeah I actually read your post prior to starting this. I wasn't really wanting to spend $1,000 on a car worth the same amount honestly. Plus I saw you said the rear rides like shit. You ever get that sorted out?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

On the cheap if you want a lower look I would just cut one coil off each spring and use the stock struts.

As far as the ride on the K sports no not much better still a roller coaster on the highway more or less. I might get them shock dynod this year but Im not sure I want to put alot into them.
    Now running E85.

DX User

That sucks. I think I'm gonna get the H&Rs and just have some struts made for the car.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I think your looking at $200 at min. per strut. Most of the places I have called in the last 5 years just hung up the phone on me.

Only other thing I could think of is buy something for a Civic/Acura and use the Accord top hats.

If you are really looking I would like to get a set of Motion made maybe we can go in together.

Motion Control Suspension – Motorsport Damper Systems
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    I think your looking at $200 at min. per strut. Most of the places I have called in the last 5 years just hung up the phone on me.

Only other thing I could think of is buy something for a Civic/Acura and use the Accord top hats.

If you are really looking I would like to get a set of Motion made maybe we can go in together.

Motion Control Suspension – Motorsport Damper Systems
    Blue is right, being limited availability of parts, you are going to spend easily $200 per corner. Then add in items like upper adjustable control arms to correct camber it can add up quickly.

they seem to have a decent product made here in the USA, however with price tags of $2650 to nearly 6K It does make the k-sport setup more affordable.

I really am not surprised that most places wouldn't even want to entertain the possibility of providing a kit for the CA chassis. In my past discussions with the guys at Koni, it pretty much came down to the fact that our chassis isn't popular at all and that they get roughly 1 call per year at best regarding the accord CA chassis.

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

DX User

I don't really care to have a coilover system for the car. I've got it on my BMW and it's got all the adjustability in the world and I've messed with it maybe once since installation.

All I'm after is a good set of struts to go with the H&R Sports. They lower it an inch, maybe a little more, which is all I'm wanting since it's my daily. They can be had from tire rack for $200 a set. So another $200 a strut that is properly valved for the springs and is revuidlable should they over go bad, plus never having to search again for this kind of thing, sounds worth it to me.

It can't be that hard. Just tell them you want a strut in this length and this size with these specs and the probably already have something that would work or at least close enough as a good base since our are just inserts anyway.

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

What about the tokico blue shocks I heard they are good combination with the HR lowering springs

DX User

See I've read the exact opposite almost everywhere. Everyone says they're not valved to handle the spring rates of the H&Rs. Which is weird because the product description of the Tokicos says it's great for lowered cars with stiffer springs. I'm torn between going with my usual findings of people don't know what they're talking about most of the time and just trying them or actually listening and not wasting money on struts that will ultimately not work.

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by Killian665 View Post
    See I've read the exact opposite almost everywhere. Everyone says they're not valved to handle the spring rates of the H&Rs. Which is weird because the product description of the Tokicos says it's great for lowered cars with stiffer springs. I'm torn between going with my usual findings of people don't know what they're talking about most of the time and just trying them or actually listening and not wasting money on struts that will ultimately not work.
    I talked to several people that is running that set up with the blues and the HR lowering and they said they loved it been riding on them for years

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

1-800-548-2549 Hitachi Automotive Systems Americas and speak with a tech to actually get the max spring rate for the valving provided.
    (my contact at Hitachi Called back on lunch break, max spring ratings for the HU2781/2782 is 360-370lbs/in and the rear HU2783 is 195lb/in information cross ref# 5045. He strongly suggested not to use 1.5" lowering springs.) Plenty of people have ran this setup, I cannot vouch on this as I've used oem / bilstien / Koni. Not sure if most individuals used the extended top hats to prevent the strut form bottoming out.

You can also try calling 1888-827-8881 to speak with H&R to verify spring rates, however last i recall about a year ago when I called regarding my hatchback they were unable to provide any information on the #51873 kit.

If you were looking for better handling without a drop, Moog springs offer higher rates than stock (see my posts /threads), but be careful of load ratings and installed spring height. These will work with pretty much any aftermarket strut.

$200 for a set of struts from rack?! I think you may have mistaken them for the Gr2's that they offer. Typical upgraded struts for our cars are easily $80-100 each. if the Gr2's is what you are looking to spend, Rockauto will be a little bit cheaper with the 5% discount and shipping.

our struts are not insert / cartridge types, whole assembly minus the fork and top hat gets sent away.

3Geez resident body man

DX User

I believe he was talking about $200 for a custom strut. GR2s are $35 a piece from Rockauto. But yeah now that I'm really looking I realize these aren't inserts so custom struts would be a lot bigger deal.

I want the H&Rs for the drop and the performance so moog springs is a no go. Iguess I'll just give the Tokicos a shot and if it's crappy then I guess I'll have my answer and just go from there. Ridiculous that Bilstein or Koni or anybody doesn't make anything for these cars.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

I believe he was talking about $200 for a custom strut. GR2s are $35 a piece from Rockauto. But yeah now that I'm really looking I realize these aren't inserts so custom struts would be a lot bigger deal.

I want the H&Rs for the drop and the performance so moog springs is a no go. Iguess I'll just give the Tokicos a shot and if it's crappy then I guess I'll have my answer and just go from there. Ridiculous that Bilstein or Koni or anybody doesn't make anything for these cars.
    regarding the strut cost, what YOU had mentioned in an earlier post regarding re-valving or "custom" would drive the cost up to nearly to $200 per corner. Its roughly $80 for the strut itself and re-valving and shortening the travel will cost nearly as much as the struts do. Costs may vary from brand to brand for the extra work.

read into the tech sheets and compare the springs, you will be surprised what you find and how many more options are available.

as mentioned in prior posts, regarding Koni, is due to the severe lack of interest for the CA chassis. I was told that they get 0-1 calls regarding this chassis per year at best. They have no intention of providing a "kit" for the Accord CA chassis. Same reason not many other off the shelf aftermarket upgrades are available.

Bilstien does offer the B4 touring struts ( analogous to the GR2's) and the B6 high performance struts, quantities are getting scarce but they can be found or contact a local distributor.

imo unless you have a good idea about what parts to interchange, being aware of alignment/suspension issues , and collecting/cross referencing correct information ( hey info here is incorrect here and there) stick with stock height upgrades.

3Geez resident body man

DX User

Bilstein doesn't offer anything for these cars I already called them and asked about buying a set of B6s and having them revalved. Like $1,200 all said and done but I can't buy what doesn't exist unfortunately. A lot of parts places list the B6 as being available if you say you have an 89 accord but when you click the part it will tell you it's for like 7/89 or some month I don't remember and up. Ultimately meaning it's for the 4th gen Accord and up.

I know what all needs to be done if I lower it as far as secondary things to correct the camber and steering geometry and all that so I'm not worried about it. But if I can't find a quality set of struts to go with the H&Rs then there's no point in doing it at all. I don't care to drive around with a nice lowered stance if it's going to ride like crap. Bilstein or Koni or KYB was about the only thing I was interested in if I could get them revalved. Everything else is Chinese junk it seems like. Unless I can find an old set of Bilsteins or Konis for this car on eBay and have them rebuilt I'll just keep it stock.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Bilstien does offer correct fitment B6's, i have a set for my hatch and i orderd another set for my coupe im picking up today. The date code 9/89 to 8/93 is an part number front and rear that places like summit racing lists incorrectly.

3Geez resident body man

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX (Carb <--*flame... FWOOSH*)

I have a set of Koni Super Street coilovers with 6k miles on them, I'm selling them from my car for $800. It would be $200/corner, but at least you get a real suspension...? It's free shipping in the original box.
    Mods:
    - Koni super street coilovers
    - TSW Mallory 4 black rims on 215/55/15's
    - TRW +1.5o camber kit
    - Weber 38/38 with full emissions compliance

If you want to purchase from me, you can pay CC as I use Square and can accept VISA/MasterCard/Amex.

DX User

I called Bilstein directly and asked them about struts for the Accord and they listed the same date codes. So you’re saying they’re wrong and to order them anyway? What are the part numbers for the ones you ordered?

DX User

Also I’m interested in those Koni superstreets

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX (Carb <--*flame... FWOOSH*)

I sent you a PM, but if you want to buy them, PM me your email address and I can get them pack up and shipped out to you tomorrow.

Thanks!
    Mods:
    - Koni super street coilovers
    - TSW Mallory 4 black rims on 215/55/15's
    - TRW +1.5o camber kit
    - Weber 38/38 with full emissions compliance

If you want to purchase from me, you can pay CC as I use Square and can accept VISA/MasterCard/Amex.