Thread: Coilover setup

LX User
    Vehicle
    86'Honda Accord Lx-i

Coilover setup

Hey, i just found a coilover setup with struts on ebay and was wondering if its a good deal. Jim can you tell me anything about the setup and the struts b/c my eibachs that i have are startin to sag pretty bad and i was thinkin of just replacin all my shit and my control arms along with it plus a camber kit. here's the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1874689512

Thanks alot,

Chris
    *1986 Honda Accord Lx-i* 5-spd.
    17" Konig Maxxum Cam 178's wrapped in 205/40/ZR17 Kumho Ecsta Supras, Eibach Sportlines, Tokico struts, 92-95 civic custom short ram air intake, Magnaflow streetseries exhaust, 20% tint all around, Red/Black taillights, painted calipers and drums, hyperwhite corner bulbs, blue interior lights, Racing pedals, Carbon fiber shift knob

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Hmmm, did a quick investigation.

1. Went to www.springtech.com (maker of coilover's in ebay add)
    and it say's "This domain is for sale!" Not good ]

2. Went to www.suspensionmax.com/Products.htm the people doing the ebay add. When you click on coilovers, it's a link for sleave type coilovers (which is what they are really selling in the ebay add, they've added struts to the sleave coilovers for the ebay add. So they are not true full bodied coilovers). They do show a different part number for 3rd gen and 4th gen.

When you click on the struts, the application chart show's different part numbers for 3rd and 4th gen accords. If they didn't that would kill the whole thing then and their.

So, even though $230 is crazy for 4 coilovers and 4 struts, what your buying is a BIG mystery. Are the struts,.....REALLY stiff enough for duty with stiffer springs? How stiff are the springs in those coilovers?

If you can afford to risk $230 on chance and your willing to take that risk, well then, their ya go. Based on what I've seen, I'd be stunned if they'd be any better than KYB GR-2's with dropzone coilovers, which would bounce quite a bit. I wouldn't take the risk, but you might be more daring than me

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments
    Chris, I'm not trying to take the wind out of ur sails on this Q, but since you asked about c/o's on ebay, I figured this was a good place for my Q.

Jim, here's a link to another ebay c/o auction. They look like DropZone's, but I can't be certain. I e-mailed the guy asking for the details on them days ago with no response. Just wondering, can you identify them?
    -Mark D.

LX User
    Vehicle
    86'Honda Accord Lx-i
    Thanks alot Jim. I've been having so much trouble with my suspension and don't know what to do. I definately need new upper ball joints for my control arms but i think that my control arms are bending also. I was wondering where i can go to get a full complete set of Upper Control Arms with the Ball Joints included. I went to AutoZone and they want fuckin $70bucks just for the ball joint. I really am needin some help with this shit. I'm gettin a camber kit also for the front. I'm fairly certain that my springs are saggin so if i replace my upper arms and joints and put a camber kit on it will it still sag?? Thanks for any help that you can give me and i'm also kinda tight on money right now but i gotta fix it b/c i'm scared to drive my car anywhere.

Thanks,

Chris
    17" Konig Maxxum Cam 178's wrapped in 205/40/ZR17 Kumho Ecsta Supras, Eibach Sportlines, Tokico struts, 92-95 civic custom short ram air intake, Magnaflow streetseries exhaust, 20% tint all around, Red/Black taillights, painted calipers and drums, hyperwhite corner bulbs, blue interior lights, Racing pedals, Carbon fiber shift knob

LX User
    Vehicle
    86'Honda Accord Lx-i
    Hey Jim, i was lookin around and searchin yahoo and found this,
    http://www.viberation.com/ryan/aftermarket/GSR.htm
    Will that setup replace the upper control arms and ball joints and fix camber all in one? I have no clue and i know your the genius when it comes to this type of stuff.
    Thanks alot man,

Chris

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
    Chris, I'm not trying to take the wind out of ur sails on this Q, but since you asked about c/o's on ebay, I figured this was a good place for my Q.

Jim, here's a link to another ebay c/o auction. They look like DropZone's, but I can't be certain. I e-mailed the guy asking for the details on them days ago with no response. Just wondering, can you identify them?
    They look exactly like the "shogun" coilovers that ardPerformance sell's. I called the company and got a big fat zero on what the spring rates were, they buy them from someone else. Other than that I don't know who makes them. The key thing in my mind if if they have stiffness like your spirngs or if they way stiff like the dropzones, cause you can get the dropzones for just $20 more than those. But as we talked about before (mentioning for other members sake) the drop zone front springs are to stiff to even run koni's with.

LX User
    Vehicle
    86'Honda Accord Lx-i
    Jim, could you tell by lookin at those A Arm pictures if those replace the factory Arms and also another camber kit? Thanks again

Chris

Vehicle
    Black 1989 LX-I Coupe and 2000 EX V6 coupe
    well what struts do you want with Dropzones then?
    Check my cardomain for sale items! Cardomain

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by Chris86Lxi
    Jim, could you tell by lookin at those A Arm pictures if those replace the factory Arms and also another camber kit? Thanks again

Chris
    I thought they were always just the bolts. I'll see what I can find out for you.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by 89cordlx
    well what struts do you want with Dropzones then?
    Well considering those dropzone coilovers are extreamly stiff and do NOT use progressive springs (they are 213% stiffer than stock springs in the front!!!) even standard Koni's won't have enough power to control them. You would want to either get Koni's or Bilstien struts and have them revalved to handle something that much stiffer than stock.

Now what I'm telling you, is how to have the best ride quality and performance possible in spite of those coilovers. If you don't care, well than you can get what ever you want. I'm just saying if you do what I'm telling you do to, you will have a much better suspension, that will be night and day better than if you use the wrong struts.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d