Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Carb Intake - Cold air or Short ram LX - DX

DX User
    HEY MIKE, I NOTICED YOU HAD THE YELLOW RUBBER CONNECTORS ON YOUR INTAKE. WHERE COULD YOU GET THEM IN BLUE?
    TYRONE

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    careful cause you won't really need any vacuum lines to the carb from the intake if you remove all the emissions stuff.
    what i had in the pics was just a test and it didn't work.
    - llia

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX Coupe
    At checkers they have a 90-93 intake that has blue hoses. Its like $50 just for the intake........filter is about $30...........A20A1 if you would sell adapters i might be interested....

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX
    A20A1, can you email me in someone detail how you pulled all that off? Where you bought the parts and all, [email protected]

"Random Hero"

Vehicle
    97 Dodge Neon

Carb intake, would this work???

OK on the newer DX civics if you look at how the intake is setup it looks like we would use it on our carbs, or make it work. im gonna try it as soon as i get the cash.

check this here is a pic so you can better understand

Vehicle
    97 Dodge Neon
    ok right click and copy and past to see the pic

Vehicle
    97 Dodge Neon
    it looks like there would be a way

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    what year civic are you talking about
    Alex.

Vehicle
    97 Dodge Neon
    does the pic not work? u have to copy and past in the address bar

Vehicle
    it doesn't work,
    oh wait it worked.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    the intake manifold won't work. the bolts not even close to what we have on our car.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Is he talking about a intake manifold or an intake.
    - llia

Vehicle
    i don't know, i assumed manifold.
    but if he is talking about intake itself than it may work. i checked with my friends CRX with the same engine and it may just work.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    97 Prelude Base
    I'll take a look at my roomate's 91 civic tomorrow. I wish I had a digicam. Oh, I think Mantis is just talking about the intake box.
    Last edited by mindlos; 02-17-2003 at 07:12 PM.

Vehicle
    97 Dodge Neon
    yea intake box, please check on that for us man, thanx

Vehicle
    97 Prelude Base
    Sorry guys, my roomate is always out like the prodigal son, except he has been leaving the gas guzzling Caddy due to gas hikes and took the civic. Hopefully by the weekend if not sooner.

_M

Vehicle
    97 Dodge Neon
    dont forget man

Vehicle
    97 Prelude Base

Da Camera Sucks

Right back at ya! Cept my roomate wasnt comfortable with me "removing" anything from the car in the presumptive "my car has been reliable all along" fashion. Never mind all the carbon deposits, unchanged air filters, unchanged oil, unchanged fuel filters, and all that garbage. Yes the car drives "okay" but it was just too hard for me to explain "the car does not have to do anything for you to tweak it and just because you touch it does not mean anything will break.

1) Da camera sucks tail pipes. I borrowed one from my dept at work and it turns out its only 1 megapixel. It just cannot do good small detail on any image size. Its possible it could be slightly better on the smaller images but I didnt take the time to get intimate with it.

2) Ma Joint (accord in the garage)

3) Engine compartment. Funny how the intake tube is right behind the radiator and right underneath the bonnet (hood). Hot ass air anyone? It also has to buy a train ticket before it gets to the throttle body.

4) Cover removed. The housing (for what?) is made from thick hard plastic. Not that flexible at all. They are also blocking the airflow with that obtuse angled metal.

5) Right side view. The cover adds another 15mm (9/16'') on top of the housing.

5). Left view.

6). No mesh I tried to indicate the slope direction with the arrows. Note the hole size and relative bolt config.

7). Meshes. They indicate the difference in hole and mount configs. It also seems like the mount area is reinforced on the housing along with the bolt holes.

8). The cover. It is 15 mm (9/16'') high.

9). For comparison. Note that the top of the cover mounting bolts are only 56 mm (2 1/4'') high

Commentary.
    The measurements are as close as I could get without removing the housing. Certainly could be better. As far as feasibility is concerned I would say it is not impossible. Provided reinforcement has no metal insert then it would be easy to hot knife a circle to fit out carb. There are a couple things to contend with. The close wall on the back and the bump on the front. It still seems it would be possible to cut along the bump and shave it for the shield to fit flat (will be thin then) and not give leak. Some sort of gasket will be in order. In the order of Ghetto I can already think of tire inner tube sufficing. Of course I'm thinking that will be far enough from the engin heat. To ice the cake, if the housing can be had for $10 -$20 from the boneyard it would be worth it even just for experimentation. Tastey stuff. On that note, I have another project. I'm not responsible personal physical or emotional damage an any property loss that ensues due to this information. Let alone indigestion!

Edit: Another thing to consider is that the housing my be too high for our setup. The shown depths are internal wall. There is no telling how high the housing with the cover would be. If the back is a bitch then a straing shave that takes almost nothing at the front and a lot at the back would do. The lid would then be mounted with bolts and nuts since the threaded holes may not work anymore.

Have at it guys.
    Last edited by mindlos; 06-13-2004 at 08:16 PM.

Vehicle
    yes, thank you for taking measurements for us. i think we can fit that box on our carb.
    i am gonna go ahead and pick one up at the junk yard as soon as this snow melts.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Re: DA CAMERA SUCKS

Originally posted by mindlos

Edit: Another thing to consider is that the housing my be too high for our setup. The shown depths are internal wall. There is no telling how high the housing with the cover would be. If the back is a bitch then a straing shave that takes almost nothing at the front and a lot at the back would do. The lid would then be mounted with bolts and nuts since the threaded holes may not work anymore.

Have at it guys.
    Well all the carb adapters I have made needed to be 2 1/4" high from the surface of the top hat, to properly clear the hood all the way round. I did a 2.5" one once and it hit on a hood support.
    - llia

Vehicle
    97 Prelude Base
    That will definitely need to be cut down on the height then. As to how much will be determined by how how flush the bottom inside is with the top hat.

One other thing, why the hell do they put these barriers that choke the air passage in these boxes? That obtuse angled metal leaves about 1-1.5 cm at the top and two little gaps on the bottom.

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 accord lx
    i just found one and a have made mods to the holes keep you all updated
    You need practice because you lack this skill that i got

Nos----->

Vehicle
    97 Prelude Base
    Me gots one too. I got some pictures of partial progress. I have a sandisk thats borking at me coz it doesnt wanna read the compact flash. Anybody know where I can get 1cm thick rubber to straddle the top hat? I need to make a custom gasket to make it airtight.

Vehicle
    97 Prelude Base
    Alright guys. Its not that bad on the height but it does touch the hood only after it has latched. Depends on whether your use the gasket from the other housing or not. I had some door trim laying around that I used as a gasket lining around the hole. Its very thin thus does not raise th housing much. I beveled the edges for it to fit nicely. It is easy to make it fit tight because you can shave the door trim on the inside for minor tweaks.

You will notice that the precut lateral direction is a little over our specification. Keep that in mind so you dont leave gaping holes when done. In the perpendicular direction you will venture slightly into the grove and the rising section. Do it bit by bit. You will also need to mind the raised float screw as it will interfere with how close you get to the edge without it preventing the housing from sitting on the carb neck. The hole being too close to the vertical wall will mess the mesh fitting yet too far will cause the housing to sit on the float screw.

In case you were wondering, I'm getting a cone filter first thing in the morning. I'm also going to strip and paint the lid. For now I have a fuel injected carburetor!!!

Housing with gasket removed

Increased hole and how it fits The hole is to size but small for adding a gasket. It also needs to move a little closer to the edge (top in this picture) to effectively clear the float screw and vent bump.

Profiles

Wrap-up
    Used door trim as a thin gasket. Had to make another ring to go between the mesh and the bottom since mesh hangs in the air. With the nuts tightened its not going anywhere.

Last edited by mindlos; 06-13-2004 at 08:20 PM. Reason: updated image hosting server

Vehicle
    YES, finally.
    i am gonna do this as soon as i can get my hands on one of those.
    what did you use to drill out?
    Alex.