Thread: 83 2nd Gen Accord Engine with 2.5 gen or 3rd gen auto box

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord

83 2nd Gen Accord Engine with 2.5 gen or 3rd gen auto box

I recently bought an 83 2nd gen Honda Accord and its automatic transmission is shot, I bought it as is in dead condition. the Car engine starts revs fine but the car doesn't bump no matter in which gear I move the lever. Any thoughts what went wrong and what to look at. Also can a 2.5gen or 3rd gen accord auto transmission will fit in it. This is 4th 2nd gen in past I bought and sold from some reason or other 3x 2nd gen 1x 2.5 gen and 2x 3rd gen. But all of them were manual transmission so never had any problem.

Regards
    Arbab

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: 83 2nd Gen Accord Engine with 2.5 gen or 3rd gen auto box

I'd recommend you call a wrecking yard, as they would know for sure. As I recall, the 84s and up were significantly different from the 82-83s. When I was looking for mine I didn't even bother to try, so I can't say for absolute certain, but when I looked in an 84, it was pretty clear that I was dealing with a very different car. You could put a trans from an 82 on it, but trust me, it would suck. The 82 has three gears and no lock-up. You'll be howling at about 4k RPM at 75 MPH. You can certainly try to fit something newer in there, and maybe someone will pipe in who knows for sure, but don't get your hopes up too much.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

As far as diagnosing it, you're gonna have to do some basic troubleshooting before we can help. Is there fluid in it? What condition is it in? Is the shift cable connected and adjusted properly? Does it make any noises? Etc.
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord

First of all, Thanks for replying. I haven't got the chance inspected it the car was standing still at garage for sometime and I have no previous info on it, as I towed it from the place I bought last weekend had to go to work next day and I work long hours. But definitely I run some basic diagnostics today. It was sympathy purchase as car was screaming "save me save me" this is the first auto transmission accord so I am a newbie. 2.5gen and 3rdgen are 4 speed auto but this is 3 speed so I was thinking. I have asked local wreckers in my country all of them suggesting that either change the engine gear from newer model (which i don't want, I like the laziness of this 8 valve 1600cc engine ), convert it to manual (as they autobox of this car is rare in my country. Another option is to rebuild it completely towards which I am inclined. I need help how to identify which type of gearbox it is and what master transmission rebuild kit are good for this gearbox? and what is a lock up

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord

Just to update, There is no oil in the gearbox and from the smell of oil it seems like somebody tried to manual transmission oil and fubar the gbox. I couldn't be able to find shift linkage as I couldn't go under it. I was all dressed to waiting for friend to pick me for office. So only 2 options left as I called wreckers in different city either they never heard of 3speed auto tranny of accord or they don't have it. Either I convert it to manual or go for full rebuild (which I am more inclined towards). I googled and search on ebay there is precision master rebuild kit by transtec costing between US$80-90. Which I can order and have it delivered postage will be a PITA may be the same amount. I have three questions.
    1. Which Master rebuild kit is better for full overhaul of gbox.
    2. Is torque converter can be faulty I might source it as well.
    3. Are engine specs of auto and manual are different or same.

Vehicle
    1983 Accord LX hatch carb'd; 1986 Accord LX-i hatch

I think you should just get it rebuilt at a good place that knows what they are dealing with. Unless you find a manual transmission and convert it.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by Honda#1 View Post
    I think you should just get it rebuilt at a good place that knows what they are dealing with. Unless you find a manual transmission and convert it.
    Are 82 and 83 Accords are different I know there trim parts are slight different, mine instrument cluster say PRN OD * L which type of autobox is this can you help which type kit I should to get it rebuild

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Sorry. I didn't see that you're not in the US. Sounds like you have the 3-speed auto box, which is too bad. I can't recommend a kit because I don't know what Honda spec'ed for you. Here were I am, there's a good transmission shop that I usually order kits through. Maybe you can find one where you are and they can help. Good luck.
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord

Thumbs up Re: 83 2nd Gen Accord Engine with 2.5 gen or 3rd gen auto box

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Sorry. I didn't see that you're not in the US. Sounds like you have the 3-speed auto box, which is too bad. I can't recommend a kit because I don't know what Honda spec'ed for you. Here were I am, there's a good transmission shop that I usually order kits through. Maybe you can find one where you are and they can help. Good luck.
    Hey no problem, Thanks for the reply. I put transmission oil in it and its started to move and get going, but bit sluggish I believe clutch discs are gone. Now I can move it around I can take it to transmission builder. Thanks for help and A Happy New Year!!

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

The engine mounts are completely different between 82-3 and 84-85.

The 82-83 is more related to the 1G accord and the 84-85 is more related to the 3G Accord. The 2G accord is a strange generation.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord

Yes I am aware of the fact both are entirely different cars as despite similarities from the outside and inside, engine bay is entirely different. Even 82/83 same shape are different with respect to trim and dashboard A/C vents,steering. But still I thought may there is some light, as the newer A16 engine type and 2.5G autobox is available in my country but EL engine autobox is a rarity.