Thread: Aftermarket fuel pump and fuel pump regulator

LX User

Aftermarket fuel pump and fuel pump regulator

Hey guys, I think my fuel pump went out. First i’m gonna make sure its not the fuse or main relay, then i’m gonna take it apart to check what’s going on.

Does anyone know where to get a weber or a more performance fuel pump and fp regulator? Max pressure for the weber 38 is 3psi btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DX User

Re: Aftermarket fuel pump and fuel pump regulator

I recently dealt with fuel problems on my 88 with a 38/38. My problem consisted of a myriad of smaller individual problems, but ill tell you what i did.

I pulled the oem pump assembly out the tank, removed the pump and modified it to be a fuel pickup only. i then got a standard low pressure pump from amazon for about $20. I also got a good bit of fuel hose, a fuel filter, and a fuel pressure gauge along with a T to branch to the gauge.
    I hooked the new fuel pump directly beside the tank, ran new line up the car, installed the T and then put the filter between the carb and T.
    The pump i have runs at about 3.5psi at idle and low rpm, but above 3k it drops to around 2.

My weber loves it, now i just have to sort out more ignition problems, lol. Turns out my MSD 6a doesnt like being connected straight to the magnetic pickup in my dizzy, ill have to rewire the stock igniter back in.

LX User

I just realized i didn’t state what car this was for -_- it’s an 84 Accord Hatch lol. But thanks for the info noidea!

I ended up only checking for an electrical issue because i didnt have time to take it apart. But hopefully tomorrow i can get under there and pull it out.

Did you guys know our cars have 15.9 gal tanks??? I read it in the service manual. Might downsize it to a 5/6 gal. Weight reduction br0

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

i always start with the cheapest parts first. replace your fuel filter. i know in my 1988 dx carb it had 2 filters. Later i replaced the fuel pump with a napa auto one. My problem was the carb so i had to rebuild it. since you want to go faster a webber would be a perfect fit for the car. also make sure you have fresh gas. my car sat for 2 years and the tank had rust. I dropped it and cleaned it all out and put fresh gas. car started up fast.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

LX User

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    i always start with the cheapest parts first. replace your fuel filter. i know in my 1988 dx carb it had 2 filters. Later i replaced the fuel pump with a napa auto one. My problem was the carb so i had to rebuild it. since you want to go faster a webber would be a perfect fit for the car. also make sure you have fresh gas. my car sat for 2 years and the tank had rust. I dropped it and cleaned it all out and put fresh gas. car started up fast.
    I replaced the fuel filter in the engine bay. Theres another by the tank, so i’ll replace it. I already did a weber swap, and the reason i think its my fuel pump is because i ran out of gas purposely to check my mileage. So maybe all the sediments went into the filter and pump and clogged them. Might also have rust, but we’ll see when i drop it.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

I personally wouldn't bother upgrading the fuel pump. The stock pump keeps the pressure just perfect for the 2 barrel Webers and provides plenty of flow. If you stick an after market pump in, the stock relay will probably freak out, as you really need to run a dedicated circuit to it. Then you need a regulator, and you're talking about spending a few bucks to not get some shitty ass AutoZone regulator that doesn't even work. Plus you need a gauge to set up the regulator. You're looking at like $250+ to do it right, and for probably no real benefit.

LX User

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    I personally wouldn't bother upgrading the fuel pump. The stock pump keeps the pressure just perfect for the 2 barrel Webers and provides plenty of flow. If you stick an after market pump in, the stock relay will probably freak out, as you really need to run a dedicated circuit to it. Then you need a regulator, and you're talking about spending a few bucks to not get some shitty ass AutoZone regulator that doesn't even work. Plus you need a gauge to set up the regulator. You're looking at like $250+ to do it right, and for probably no real benefit.
    Hm, I suppose. Thanks for that, man.

LX User

I ended up just getting an OEM part and replacing it. Pretty simple to change out. The pump is located on the driver side behind the door. NOT in the gas tank.

It has some covers to protect it. You gotta take out about 5 or 6 screws. The pump bolts down onto a metal plate, so you gotta take it off there.

A word of advice: mark the input and output side on the fuel lines, cause I wasn’t sure and took a chance, but the car runs fine so i’m sure i got it right lol. The negative and positive should be straight forward cauae they only go in one way. Make sure you put on the covers for the pump and assure that there is no leak!!! I had leak issues for a while cause the clamps weren’t sitting correctly.