Thread: Losing traction? Shaking while braking?

LX User

Losing traction? Shaking while braking?

Yoooo guys. I got an 84 Accord hatch and when i’m turning a sharp corner at high speed, my rpms bounce up and down. Could it be that i’m losing traction? Or the lateral g’s are preventing fuel from getting into the cylinder? I don’t think thats it, though lol. Another thing: I just changed both cv axles and the driver side tie rod was messed up. Could that be it? And also my car shakes between 50-60 mph when braking at THOSE SPECIFIC speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LX User

Re: Losing traction? Shaking while braking?

Also, the mechanic that did my alignment said I was gonna need a new rack and pinion. Im not sure why, maybe he just assumed that because of the tie rod?

Another theory about the cornering thing: oil is hitting the crank too much and its slowing down the rpms...? Im over thinking it :|

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

What kind of bouncing rpm? Does it rev real high during the turn? Is the road wet?

LX User

Losing traction? Shaking while braking?

Quote Originally Posted by Fixedit View Post
    What kind of bouncing rpm? Does it rev real high during the turn? Is the road wet?
    RPMS dance up and down kinda like if im getting on and off the gas pedal, but im not. No, it doesnt rev high, and no the road wasnt wet. Ive just been taking it easy with it. I’ll try it again when i switch out the tie rods. Maybe some stiffer stabilizer bars

Rotors are warped. And the tires could be out of balance or put on backwards. Tire rod end is key right now unless you want to end up in a ditch and high speeds in a corner..

LX User

Quote Originally Posted by 86'HPSi View Post
    Rotors are warped. And the tires could be out of balance or put on backwards. Tire rod end is key right now unless you want to end up in a ditch and high speeds in a corner..
    Yea, I checked their straightness and they’re pretty warped. I’m gonna do the brakes and clutch pretty soon.

A few months after I posted this, the car started to shake when I accelerated quickly, so I replaced the rack and pinion, inner and outer tie rod ends, and cv axles. Took car of that, and handles pretty well.

Sounds like my 86 Honda prelude. I got a local guy gonna do all new rotors, calipers, ball joints, rack and pinion and cv axle seals on the transmission. She already had new rubber boots and dampeners on all the suspension and mounts and sway bars and all that good stuff. Guy was the original owner and just tired of putting money into it after 30 years of owning it. Plus I got it when it needed all the rest obviously. Just restoring her to her original self aside from aftermarket suspension, exhaust and air intake. I’m finding the engine/transmission full packages for as low as $350 bucks. Gonna rebuild an old A engine and drop it into her. Trying to keep it as original as possible. Everybody and their brother is doing a B-Series or GSR engine or those lucky to find and have money to drop a inline six cylinder from the Toyota Supra’s or Datsun cars. I just ain’t that lucky. Best of luck and glad to hear she’s doing alright by yah. Happy tuning and driving!

LX User

Sounds like my 86 Honda prelude. I got a local guy gonna do all new rotors, calipers, ball joints, rack and pinion and cv axle seals on the transmission. She already had new rubber boots and dampeners on all the suspension and mounts and sway bars and all that good stuff. Guy was the original owner and just tired of putting money into it after 30 years of owning it. Plus I got it when it needed all the rest obviously. Just restoring her to her original self aside from aftermarket suspension, exhaust and air intake. I’m finding the engine/transmission full packages for as low as $350 bucks. Gonna rebuild an old A engine and drop it into her. Trying to keep it as original as possible. Everybody and their brother is doing a B-Series or GSR engine or those lucky to find and have money to drop a inline six cylinder from the Toyota Supra’s or Datsun cars. I just ain’t that lucky. Best of luck and glad to hear she’s doing alright by yah. Happy tuning and driving!
    Thats awesome! I got mine stock in pretty good condition from the first owner. Swapped the carb and did maintenance. Full track car treatment is my goal. Roll cage, retrofitted suspension, fuel cell, dry sump, etc.

Eh, I don’t strive for originality. I think working with what you got is more descriptive of my taste/style.

Yep, I hope you run into something awesome one day. I know I already did. Its one of the best moments when its actually yours. And when you’ve put your time and sweat into it, its even better.

I’ll be looking forward to your resto-mod!

Oh it’ll have all that one day for now I’m fixing all the quirks then it’s gonna be a beast, somebody’ll say what’s in that tin can and I’ll be all whaaa whaaaaaaammm whaaaaaaaammmm and get to the next light I got an engine in there that’s about it whaaaa whaaaaaaaaammm whaaaaammmmm 🤣🤣

LX User

Oh it’ll have all that one day for now I’m fixing all the quirks then it’s gonna be a beast, somebody’ll say what’s in that tin can and I’ll be all whaaa whaaaaaaammm whaaaaaaaammmm and get to the next light I got an engine in there that’s about it whaaaa whaaaaaaaaammm whaaaaammmmm 🤣🤣
    Nice. I got toasted by an Integra sedan, straight piped and “stock” engine lol. Pretty sure he had some gearing work done or something. He was chirping into 2nd gear.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Meh, I can chirp second in my 81 Accord. It's got 70hp and runs an 18 second 1/4 mile.

You'll get toasted by every Integra you run into if your engine is only lightly modified.

LX User

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Meh, I can chirp second in my 81 Accord. It's got 70hp and runs an 18 second 1/4 mile.

You'll get toasted by every Integra you run into if your engine is only lightly modified.
    Thats crazy. Ive been trying to find good shift points. I think i’d be able to get a 16 or 17. And thats if i really dump the clutch and shift perfectly.

The only thing i have going for me is the no A/C and no P/S and a weber 38. It was a very humbling experience. His car was straight piped and he made a joke about disconnecting the nitrous. This dude REALLY had me behind. Like 3-4 car lengths within the first 2 seconds of taking off. Don’t get me started on the 20 roll. Plus I had a bit of weight in the hatch. Maybe 100lbs in tools and car fluids.

Hopefully after some carb adjusting, exhaust work, and carb insulation i’ll be able to take him on again.