Thread: Cooling system, ignition system, aftermarket spark plugs and spark plug wires

LX User

Cooling system, ignition system, aftermarket spark plugs and spark plug wires

Hey guys, my 84 hatch has been over heating a bit. Radiator was leaking but I dumped some stop leak in there and I haven’t noticed a leak, but the stock gauge still goes up to 7/8ths of the range. Never topping out to the line or to “H”.

Also, my spark plugs are a bit dirty so I wanted to get them swapped out with a new set along with wires and a new cap and rotor.

Does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket radiator or perhaps one from another car that’ll bolt on or fit somehow on our cars? As well as an aftermarket water pump or a later model accord water pump.

And does anyone have experience with a performance cap and rotor and different spark plugs than the recommended ones?

This isn’t going to be a race set up anytime soon(built A20 swap), but I just want it to be fun to drive and be able to take out an asshole driver on the freeway lol.

I already have a weber 38 with complete vac delete, took out the A/C unit, working on removing left over electrical wires and taking out the condenser along with some left over piping. I also have manual steering. LESS WEIGHT BRO.

Thanks guys!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Cooling system, ignition system, aftermarket spark plugs and spark plug wires

Quote Originally Posted by gcovarrubias412 View Post
    I also have manual steering.

When dealing with an overheating issue, it's not a bad idea to verify your temps with an infrared thermometer. That will help you narrow down to a real issue or just a gauge issue.

Aftermarket parts are pretty limited for us, but maybe someone else will come along who knows more than me.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

LX User

Re: Cooling system, ignition system, aftermarket spark plugs and spark plug wires

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post

When dealing with an overheating issue, it's not a bad idea to verify your temps with an infrared thermometer. That will help you narrow down to a real issue or just a gauge issue.

Aftermarket parts are pretty limited for us, but maybe someone else will come along who knows more than me.
    I was thinking it could just be a sensor thats acting up. But i dont think so, cause i’ll turn on the heater to relieve more heat from the engine and the temp goes down to normal operating temp. But good idea, i’ll try that.

And i know im thinking an aftermarket one for a cb7 would fit cause i think the hose positions are very similar.

Vehicle
    1983 Accord LX hatch carb'd; 1986 Accord LX-i hatch

Quote Originally Posted by gcovarrubias412 View Post
    Hey guys, my 84 hatch has been over heating a bit. Radiator was leaking but I dumped some stop leak in there and I haven’t noticed a leak, but the stock gauge still goes up to 7/8ths of the range. Never topping out to the line or to “H”.

Also, my spark plugs are a bit dirty so I wanted to get them swapped out with a new set along with wires and a new cap and rotor.

Does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket radiator or perhaps one from another car that’ll bolt on or fit somehow on our cars? As well as an aftermarket water pump or a later model accord water pump.

And does anyone have experience with a performance cap and rotor and different spark plugs than the recommended ones?

This isn’t going to be a race set up anytime soon(built A20 swap), but I just want it to be fun to drive and be able to take out an asshole driver on the freeway lol.

I already have a weber 38 with complete vac delete, took out the A/C unit, working on removing left over electrical wires and taking out the condenser along with some left over piping. I also have manual steering. LESS WEIGHT BRO.

Thanks guys!
    Stop leak is garbage. It's a way to kill your engine even quicker. It is likely it has clogged up your radiator and that's why your car is now up at 7/8 of the temp gauge. Extremely on the verge of blowing a head gasket. My uncle who had an 87 Dodge Colt in the early 2000s had a leaky radiator and he decided to use stop leak (like the stuff knows where it supposed to go) in the radiator and that junk clogged up the radiator that he started to get the same close to overheating temps and he either had to turn up the heat or pull over and shut down the motor when it just got too close. Then that car would diesel so bad and throw up coolant onto the pavement. Wait to cool off and on our way we go again. I remember it like yesterday. I would advise against it but too late. Either way get a new t-stat and a new radiator, water pump, timing belt. The only way you would get a "performance" part would be if you did a swap with an A20. I know performance parts are one in a million for our cars including 2.5geez so you will just do what you can. You can use platinum or iridium versus the standard copper spark plugs. NGK, Denso or Bosch do well. I would stay away from store brands wires and just use the above named plug wires as well.

My 83 hatch would go up to the boat line of the temp gauge and I would turn the heat on the highest setting since I do not like to see that pointer go further up. It just scares the hell out of me if I see it go up a bit past the boat image. Mine could use a new t-stat too, probably a rad as well since I really don't know much history of the maintenance. Also water pump and timing belt too. I've had manual steering for a month or so when the power steering rack and pinion went out but I decided to get that back on because I didn't want it to turn into a dangerous situation where the Accord decides to go in its own path.

LX User

Quote Originally Posted by Honda#1 View Post
    Stop leak is garbage. It's a way to kill your engine even quicker. It is likely it has clogged up your radiator and that's why your car is now up at 7/8 of the temp gauge. Extremely on the verge of blowing a head gasket. My uncle who had an 87 Dodge Colt in the early 2000s had a leaky radiator and he decided to use stop leak (like the stuff knows where it supposed to go) in the radiator and that junk clogged up the radiator that he started to get the same close to overheating temps and he either had to turn up the heat or pull over and shut down the motor when it just got too close. Then that car would diesel so bad and throw up coolant onto the pavement. Wait to cool off and on our way we go again. I remember it like yesterday. I would advise against it but too late. Either way get a new t-stat and a new radiator, water pump, timing belt. The only way you would get a "performance" part would be if you did a swap with an A20. I know performance parts are one in a million for our cars including 2.5geez so you will just do what you can. You can use platinum or iridium versus the standard copper spark plugs. NGK, Denso or Bosch do well. I would stay away from store brands wires and just use the above named plug wires as well.

My 83 hatch would go up to the boat line of the temp gauge and I would turn the heat on the highest setting since I do not like to see that pointer go further up. It just scares the hell out of me if I see it go up a bit past the boat image. Mine could use a new t-stat too, probably a rad as well since I really don't know much history of the maintenance. Also water pump and timing belt too. I've had manual steering for a month or so when the power steering rack and pinion went out but I decided to get that back on because I didn't want it to turn into a dangerous situation where the Accord decides to go in its own path.
    I was thinking the same thing. Oh well. I’ll have a coolant flush done by a radiator shop and have them find me one that’ll fit and i’ll install it myself. Along with the pump and thermostat. Why a timing belt though? Is it one of those “might as well” things? Lol

Yea i’ll probably go NGK for the sp’s and wires.

And ikr? I hate seeing my temp go up. Makes me sad and it feels like my car is dying. But it still runs pretty strong.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I guess I lucked out, Stop Leak only clogged up my heater core. LOL. You should be able to get a good many radiators to fit in the space you have. You can hold them on with multi-purpose wire, if need be, and use the ribbed flexible radiator hoses to connect it up.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

LX User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    I guess I lucked out, Stop Leak only clogged up my heater core. LOL. You should be able to get a good many radiators to fit in the space you have. You can hold them on with multi-purpose wire, if need be, and use the ribbed flexible radiator hoses to connect it up.
    I want to be able to bolt them onto the holes available. Maybe make some brackets to make it fit

Vehicle
    1983 Accord LX hatch carb'd; 1986 Accord LX-i hatch

Get creative. You might have to get stuff from a Tractor Supply or from a home improvement store/hardware store to complete your car project.

LX User

Quote Originally Posted by Honda#1 View Post
    Get creative. You might have to get stuff from a Tractor Supply or from a home improvement store/hardware store to complete your car project.
    Yep. I can also weld so i can i can fab up a little something

LX User

So i was watching a hoonigan video about 2 crx’s (ef8) and i noticed that the hose pattern (upper and lower) are about the same for my 84 accord. So I think i’m gonna call mishimoto for dimensions on the mounting points for the radiators and see how if i could mount it