Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coolant leak from head?

Vehicle
    1983 Accord LX hatch carb'd; 1986 Accord LX-i hatch

Re: Coolant leak from head?

Yea man it's been a long day for me sorry about that. You're right about the temps. I just got out of work and had the time to go through the shop manual and I put up the section about that fan thermosensor just in case somebody else needs it for reference. I have some temp issues with mine too and I hate idling too long in traffic on a hot day due to the temp going above the boat line a bit. The fans kick in but I turn on the heat just to be safe but I guess the temp at the boat line is normal for it. I just don't want to blow the Head Gasket and I'm hoping it's not blowing somewhere though I had some milky stuff on the oil cap the past winter but I haven't been driving it much just starting it up in the winter and taking it out on short trips. Also that old oil cap had been kind of loose fitting so I'm hoping it was only condensation since there's nothing on the dipstick that looks milky. Changing out that oil would be a good idea which will get done soon when that water pump and timing belt project starts. I hate how Honda doesn't make these parts anymore and we have to put whatever crap there is available. Can't even get a timing belt tensioner at Autozone or Oreillys. Have to look on eBay or Rock Auto. And now I'm skeptical to get a replacement tensioner because I don't know what kind of quality it is that maybe I'll stick with the old one. Then my car would diesel when I turn it off and since it's an auto, I leave it in gear and slowly turn it off and then shift to park. It helps. Although at times I would feel it wants to diesel but I don't let it. I think the carb needs fine tuning and the timing but whatever. Too much going on. I just do what I can to prevent it. I want to run it on premium but the gas prices skyrocketed, I don't think I can afford to spend $5 for a gallon just to make the rich richer when I can set that money aside for parts for either one of my rides.

LX User

Quote Originally Posted by Honda#1 View Post
    Yea man it's been a long day for me sorry about that. You're right about the temps. I just got out of work and had the time to go through the shop manual and I put up the section about that fan thermosensor just in case somebody else needs it for reference. I have some temp issues with mine too and I hate idling too long in traffic on a hot day due to the temp going above the boat line a bit. The fans kick in but I turn on the heat just to be safe but I guess the temp at the boat line is normal for it. I just don't want to blow the Head Gasket and I'm hoping it's not blowing somewhere though I had some milky stuff on the oil cap the past winter but I haven't been driving it much just starting it up in the winter and taking it out on short trips. Also that old oil cap had been kind of loose fitting so I'm hoping it was only condensation since there's nothing on the dipstick that looks milky. Changing out that oil would be a good idea which will get done soon when that water pump and timing belt project starts. I hate how Honda doesn't make these parts anymore and we have to put whatever crap there is available. Can't even get a timing belt tensioner at Autozone or Oreillys. Have to look on eBay or Rock Auto. And now I'm skeptical to get a replacement tensioner because I don't know what kind of quality it is that maybe I'll stick with the old one. Then my car would diesel when I turn it off and since it's an auto, I leave it in gear and slowly turn it off and then shift to park. It helps. Although at times I would feel it wants to diesel but I don't let it. I think the carb needs fine tuning and the timing but whatever. Too much going on. I just do what I can to prevent it. I want to run it on premium but the gas prices skyrocketed, I don't think I can afford to spend $5 for a gallon just to make the rich richer when I can set that money aside for parts for either one of my rides.
    Haha, its all good. Yea i usually keep the heater on cause why the hell not? Oh damn that sucks! I wish you the best of luck with your project. I used the same belt tensioner, seems like its running fine. Yea, i always ask for a new part instead of remanufactured if possible. If not, i look around and see if i can have mine rebuilt by a good shop. That dieseling thing is weird..? Might wanna get you carb rebuilt and run some seafoam maybe? Yea i always pump 91. I can afford it so i dont mind.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Bleeding is a fairly straightforward process. Open the bleed bolt and fill the radiator until coolant flows out in a steady stream. Then close the bolt. After that, start the car with the rad cap off and let it warm up to operating temp (the cooling fans come on twice). In your case, make sure coolant is flowing into the radiator during this time. You'll see it when the thermostat opens up. If you don't see it, you have a blockage somewhere. If all is good, top off the rad and you're good to go.

The fact that you have steam coming from the engine indicates you have a leak somewhere. Find it and fix it before you go further. If you fix that and you're still overheating, then proceed in order of expense. Buy a cheap infrared thermometer and check your block and rad temps to rule out a faulty gauge. If the system has been neglected, full of rusty water, soft hoses, etc., then prepare for a long workout period where you spend a lot of money replacing parts to get it reliable again. If the system is in good order, then do a pressure test to rule out a head gasket failure. If that checks out, you're into more expensive territory. Check your compression and your oil pressure. If the engine is worn out, it will overheat no matter what. How does the car run otherwise? Does it run rough? Blow smoke? Have terrible vibrations on the road?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

LX User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Bleeding is a fairly straightforward process. Open the bleed bolt and fill the radiator until coolant flows out in a steady stream. Then close the bolt. After that, start the car with the rad cap off and let it warm up to operating temp (the cooling fans come on twice). In your case, make sure coolant is flowing into the radiator during this time. You'll see it when the thermostat opens up. If you don't see it, you have a blockage somewhere. If all is good, top off the rad and you're good to go.

The fact that you have steam coming from the engine indicates you have a leak somewhere. Find it and fix it before you go further. If you fix that and you're still overheating, then proceed in order of expense. Buy a cheap infrared thermometer and check your block and rad temps to rule out a faulty gauge. If the system has been neglected, full of rusty water, soft hoses, etc., then prepare for a long workout period where you spend a lot of money replacing parts to get it reliable again. If the system is in good order, then do a pressure test to rule out a head gasket failure. If that checks out, you're into more expensive territory. Check your compression and your oil pressure. If the engine is worn out, it will overheat no matter what. How does the car run otherwise? Does it run rough? Blow smoke? Have terrible vibrations on the road?
    I know how to bleed it, its already bled.

Steam is coming from the radiator. I’m gonna get a new one and get a fulltime fan. And yea, I wanna get a infrared thermometer to make sure the gauge isn’t reading incorrectly.

Car runs fine, no smoke, no irregular vibrations. Just over heating. I might have a blockage in there somewhere.

Vehicle

I guess I'm on the right foot to just keep that OEM tensioner in there. I don't want to waste $$ on crap parts and buying stuf on ebay is great but when you know you're getting a brand new part and not an old used part just well cleaned to look new. Water pumps are a tough find because we're stuck with cheapo brands. I'm going to keep the one that's on the car just in case. I think the Weber carb needs readjusting to fix that dieseling. I noticed it diesels more when it gets hot and when it's hot out so I'm hoping that with the cooling system project it will stop. It doesn't always happen though where I can feel like it wants to but I bypass it with leaving the car in gear. I like the CVCC engine though with it being the last year of that engine and I guess that's why the parts are so hard to find. Even the oil filters are not shared with the newer Hondas. I know the mid 80s Hondas use same oil filters as the 2000s but even for them certain parts are phased out. Good luck to you to get your car back together.

LX User

I guess I'm on the right foot to just keep that OEM tensioner in there. I don't want to waste $$ on crap parts and buying stuf on ebay is great but when you know you're getting a brand new part and not an old used part just well cleaned to look new. Water pumps are a tough find because we're stuck with cheapo brands. I'm going to keep the one that's on the car just in case. I think the Weber carb needs readjusting to fix that dieseling. I noticed it diesels more when it gets hot and when it's hot out so I'm hoping that with the cooling system project it will stop. It doesn't always happen though where I can feel like it wants to but I bypass it with leaving the car in gear. I like the CVCC engine though with it being the last year of that engine and I guess that's why the parts are so hard to find. Even the oil filters are not shared with the newer Hondas. I know the mid 80s Hondas use same oil filters as the 2000s but even for them certain parts are phased out. Good luck to you to get your car back together.
    I think as long as the part is installed correctly it should work properly and last long enough. These cars arent all that complicated, so theres not much to make it fail ya know?

That bypass thing is interesting. I wonder whats going on in there. Might be running a bit rich, or your jets are too big.

Yea, parts are a bitch, man. Best option for us is to just swap out the engine and transmission for a newer engine. K swap? Lol

Vehicle

Yep I think it runs a bit rich. A K swap would make this car fly.

LX User

Yep I think it runs a bit rich. A K swap would make this car fly.
    Hell yea

Thanks! Now that I have a job and hardly have responsibilities, I can focus on car parts! Regular maintenance here I come!!
    Last edited by Shawnta; 07-17-2018 at 05:28 AM.