Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Re: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    Youre building a racecar after this right? I wan't to see this level of off the meds ADHD put towards a weird 300+hp, aggressively stanced, fat tired car with equal amounts of weird parts and overcomplication. I would take the baton, but I would probably have to live in my garage to keep myself focused and my wife would leave me.
    I mean, I'll admit there is one idea that I'd love to get around to, something that's been floating around my head since right before I bought my first Accord- a 2JZ powered 1975 Plymouth Valiant Sedan- widebody, four bride racing seats, big ole BBS wheels, and all the chaos. Now this wasn't specifically supposed to be that exact build, but I threw this together (freaking half a decade ago) as a fun play on the idea. if I ever (lmao, as if) finish the Accord, I'd love to sling this together. Get all of the jank out of my system that I've been trying to hold of on this thing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seth-witte-nyuh.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	404.4 KB 
ID:	10824

Name:	seth-witte-rift2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	387.3 KB 
ID:	10825
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

Build thread! https://www.3geez.com/forum/project-...upe-build.html
    [SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Thats strange, very large, and 4 doored lol. I go back and forth between naturally aspirated 2jz 280z and a high compression naturally aspirated 20b fb rx7 with an rx8 trans and 3 link Ford 8.8 rear end. I have clearly thought about the rx7 more, the 280z will probably only fall through if I can get my stepmom, who's name is Sunny, a Nissan Sunny, which I will shoehorn a bored, cammed, and carbed l28 from the 280 into. I would have to keep it with heat and ac though... the l28 will take up about 90% of the engine bay of a Sunny lol. Every time I think of that I look at my pile of Accord parts and the ADHD cycle continues.

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

YO. It has been a hot minute! But I finally got this site to get working on my browser again and I swear I’ve been busy! Hope you didn’t assume I died or something.

Let’s start with the big picture- I was supposed to bring the Accord in, rotisserie and all to the body shop this month, and considering that today is the 25th, you can probably figure out that that’s coming a bit later. I talked to the guy who runs the shop and he’s saying that they could use the extra time, and frankly, with more detail coming in these next sentences, so could I. There’s a lot of stuff I gotta do yet. This pushed back deadline is good and bad for obvious reasons- 1, I get more time to do more that I wanted to do to the car, but also makes the project run forever longer. But- as of today, I’m buttoning up some huge projects for the car- we’re talking some 3D printing and lasercut, like a LOT.

Here’s a list the things I’ve gotta get printed or cut in the very near future. 1) The Positive Crankcase Ventilation adapter for the airbox, 2)Door handle speaker Bezels (and grills) for both sides of my car (3) Lasercut speaker risers for the Carrozzerias (4) Yet another iteration of the Fog Light Brackets (5) Repositioned hood prop adapter for the hood (6) A base for my Bluetooth Kenwood Amp to bolt to (7) Gotta 3D print what is hopefully the last iteration of the Spoiler, which has undergone a remodel since I got the last print made. Then LASTLY, and possible most importantly, is the HOOOOD SCOOP. It has been an absolute balls to the wall to get this done in time, and I love how it turned out. And it also happens to be most of what I’ll be posting about, because frankly, It’s really all I’ve been up to in terms of Accord.

Starting at the very base of the project was getting the hood scanned, I could model all I want without it, but it wouldn’t give me accurate results considering how tailored I want this part to turn out. So, I hauled it an hour and a half out to the East side of our state to have the same, reliable guy scan it, and here’s what we got. If you look closely, you can see the shape of a rectangle in the inner structure of the hood. I took a sharpie and taped it to four corners of the airbox, then closed the hood each time in each corner, that give me an accurate pinpoint of where the edges of the airbox were in relation to the hood. And since I was getting this 3D scanned and no way would sharpie points show up in scan, I took some rope caulk and made that rectangle there, and not to pat my own back, but it showed up great in the scan and was a pretty clever way of turning my physical data into virtual.

Name:	IMG_8066.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	299.8 KB 
ID:	10834
    The next step was sketching. Probably the most sketching I’ve done for a project for fun since college lmao, but here’s how it broke down. The top row of sketches was trying to sort out the main part breakup for the scoop, how parts would be loaded, and a few guesses at what they look like. You can see the top left was having a lasercut grill load into the back of the printed scoop that lived on top of the surface of the hood, the middle an idea that the printed hood scoop shape was an upside down U that would meet a grille that loaded up through the bottom of the hood, and then the top right option was pursuing the idea of taking out a large portion of the hood, giving a big ole’ ramp to run down and into the hood itself. Ultimately, between part count and trimming, the one that would be adapted with the least struggle was the top left, and I think it’s a sensible call. The next step was styling, the middle row of sketches, which was just a prompt to go a little nuts and see if I could think of some mind-blowing way to make a super fresh inlet, but ultimately came to a pretty simple solution. I really wanted something that would look like a rare **JDM** fancy part, that wasn’t overstated, and ended up taking inspiration from the 2G Prelude grille that I’ve also got on the car, which placed me with the enlarged lower pair of sketches. The decision there to either use a Type R emblem on that or not, we’ll touch more on that later. So we ended up running with the idea of the top left sketch of a loaded grill, I figured I could use a printed grill instead of a lasercut one, allowing me to add some real form to the part.

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	10835
    I’ve got a ton of work in progress snips of data as it came to be, but let’s just cut to the chase. I get 8 photos, let’s make em count. I surfaced the 3D scan pretty easily to be some nice, workable surfaces, then designed a multi-part hood scoop. But before I get into the nitty gritty of how it all works, here’s some beauty shots of the data:

Name:	IMG_8134.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	10836

Name:	IMG_8140.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	10837
    Looking from the ground up, here’s the shape of the final 3D print for the hood scoop. Worth noting is that all I’m supplying to the body shop is these printed parts, and they’ll be fabricating the front form that this scoop will slide into. So, as you can see- there’s basically two main halves to the scoop, the “air guide” in black, and the “hood inlet” in white. The Air guide will surround the hole we cut in the hood for the airbox, making all the air the box pulls is fresh, coming from the cowl induction scoop, and will also be a large driver in holding the part in place. If you squint, you can see those little orange circles- those will be the fasteners to hold the scoop to the hood.

Name:	IMG_8136.png 
Size:	311.9 KB 
ID:	10838
    Then, here’s something that’s totally unnecessary, and frankly, I’ve kinda dragged my feet on it for most of the time, but-it should be neat. Every time I bring this project up with someone, they’ve all kinda had the same idea, putting a badge, emblem or some other easter egg in the grille to make it “pop”. I think I’m still selling myself on the idea- I really like subtle modifications, and this whole exercise has been a lot of adding… stuff- to the car. But, I mean, might as well make it a more advanced, interesting part if I have the ability- and well, I do. It’s now or never. Eventually we landed on the idea of putting Type R in the grille (as seen in the sketches), as a pointer to what’s under the hood. The thing is, as a Honda guy, I know there’s a big stigma about slapping the Type R badge on non-true Type R cars. I’ve seen plenty of EK Civics with a D series under the hood and a big ole TYPE R on the side, and frankly, I don’t want to reinforce the stereotype. Honda never made a third Gen, Type R Accord, and my goal was never to make a “what if” version of the Accord if the Type R nomenclature had existed ~five years sooner. But the thing is, if I pop my hood, I’m very, very proud of the engine that’s in the car, and well, it’s a Type R motor- that’s just a fact. So as you can tell, I’m torn! I think- if you’re reading this- you can probably have the same argument, and will land on one side or the other. What ultimately sold me on the concept is a couple simple reasons, one- it’s hard to see. You have to be approaching from the passenger side of the car looking forward to even catch a glimpse at it, it’s not like I’m wrapping the car with a livery. And two, it’s the entry ramp for the air to enter the motor, and since it’s a Type R motor which is freaking sweet, I suppose I could celebrate that some. Anyways, rant over- let’s get back to talking about making this thing come together. After some research, I was pointed to a cast Type R badge, which is sweet, it looks like it should work really nicely, and so I designed the grill to have an inset plaque for that cast badge to live on. Should look sharp. And hey, if this treason, might as well make the most of it. The next thing I was talked into should actually be pretty sweet, you’re gonna have to squint, but see those two little white rectangles there in the vertical grille slat? The width of the slats was actually carefully designed to package grain of wheat lightbulbs- with just the barest clearance to allow me to light up the Type R badge, and make it be just barely lit at night but still celebrate the emblem, al la U.S.S. Enterprise style. And guess what, if it turns out it just bothers the crap out of me because of silly exterior lighting, then I’ll just unplug it, and we’ll be all good and dandy! I’d love to know what you think- am I going to far with all this, or this jewel of detail what makes the difference from a regular build?

Name:	IMG_8138.png 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	10839
    So, here’s everything that I need to make the scoop come together, and man, I did not expect it for this to be that depth, but here we are. Something I haven’t fully explained yet is the grill, so lets touch on that real quick. The main plan is to print the air guide and inlet on a standard, FDM printer (like what you normally think of when you think a 3D printer) the grille, due it’s complexity and shape- isn’t a good choice for a FDM style printer, so instead I’ll be going with a powder Nylon SLS printer, allowing for a highly accurate, easy-to-prep-for-paint part, without having to worry about removing a thousand layer lines in each channel of the grates. Which is good! So what I did to package the grille between the two parts, was allow enough room for it to slide into the air guide, then alan bolts will go through the air guide and thread into heat-set fasteners in the inlet, and sandwich the part between both halves. By dividing up the scoop into these parts, I get great control over where paint breakup goes, and finishing. If I printed this as one part, painting the grill black would require masking, and shooting anything behind those slots would no doubt end up with ghosting, so now I can have one part that’s meant to be in shadow moderately finished, and then go to town on making the inlet a perfect, class-A part without having to worry about overspray or anything of the sort. I think it’s smart. Also, those two rods at the top of the image are the Bulbs and leads, I just got them in the mail, and they are SOOOOO SMALL. It’s nuts!! Anyways, just cuing up to get it all printed, so hopefully in these next few weeks I’ll be getting parts, and posting about it here. I’m so PUMPED.

Name:	IMG_8141.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	10840
    That’s the hood scoop! The it was a total line of cocaine to bust it out over the last ~month, but I gotta say, I really like the way the design shaped up, and will be sure to keep this thread in the know once it’s done.
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

So that’s the big stuff! I’ve also been working on tidying up other models, I made a Prelude CenterCap base for Robert Ettinger and his wheels, I’ve been tweaking the door hand speaker design some (really close to having it done! I decided to also add a little slot for a grain of wheat bulb into that too, because I bought like 50 bulbs and I wanna use em.) as well as cranking out another handful of 4x100 wheels, I’m at a collection of 24 at this point, six more to go then I get to go through and PUBLISH that project. Which is really exciting! Glad I’ll be done with that, feels like it’s been dragging on. In other news, the Civic RUNS, and DRIVES. Ended up dropping it off at a shop, and they sorted out the final details it needed, and holy COW, that thing is a blast. I’ve still gotta get it registered in my name, but I’ve been taking it out on little scoots just to feel ALIVE, and the thing is a blast, and also already has a buyer! Who’s happily paying exactly what I need to meet my goal for paint funds, so everything is coming together PERFECT. WOOOOO! Anyways, I still need to do a real photoshoot of it at a neat spot to make my peace with it, but in the meantime, here’s evidence!

Name:	IMG_8157.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	10841

Name:	IMG_8183.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	310.6 KB 
ID:	10842
    Oh yeah! Got my hands a couple sweet tools, one of them is heat-shrink labeller- the Accord is going to get a LOT of harness work while it’s out for paint, so that came in just in time to make everything look real freaking pro. The other is a plastic welder! Which is perfect, because I have a collection of Integra lips I need to d̶e̶s̶t̶r̶o̶y̶, or rather fit the Prelude bumper, which involves cutting at least two in half and then welding them back together and then smoothing out. Should be fun. The item in the foreground was a test strip I cut from a half toasted one I’ve had in storage. It works well and feels pretty tough! So I gotta do make that lip and also drill a bunch of holes in my bumper to mount it before it goes to paint. Lots to do!

Name:	IMG_8051.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	10843
    So that’s it! Hope you enjoyed a much belated update, and I’ll catch up with more info once I got it! I’ll leave you with this freaking sick gif my sister made while I was learning about airbox alignment. I’ve watched it about five million times at this point. I’m so impressed with how well this project is coming together.
    https://ibb.co/H4LtFgw

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Bro! Don't sweat the Type R badge! On a clapped out beater, an impressive badge looks ridiculous and fools know one. On a cherried out custom ride, a subtle nod to the beast under the hood is entirely appropriate. Even an unsubtle nod is appropriate. No one is going to look at the Type R badge on your car and think you're fronting.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Se-I

Amazing build, haven’t been on this site since 2003!! I was only 17 lol. I’m 35 now and ended up with another 3g I can’t believe it. Only reason I did it because it was a rare se-I sedan with literally no rust and only 123k. But anyways can’t wait to see the next update, at least it running. Just spent hours going threw the pages of this thread. Lol. My names Tom, talk soon.

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Bro! Don't sweat the Type R badge! On a clapped out beater, an impressive badge looks ridiculous and fools know one. On a cherried out custom ride, a subtle nod to the beast under the hood is entirely appropriate. Even an unsubtle nod is appropriate. No one is going to look at the Type R badge on your car and think you're fronting.
    As is practically tradition, sorry for the slow response, but I always appreciate your input Snooz! I appreciate you keeping a level head, I've been churning on what you said since you posted and... you're spot on. I think you're right, might as well have a little bit of fun and celebrate something that's at least kinda cool- right!?

Quote Originally Posted by 88AccorD4Life View Post
    Amazing build, haven’t been on this site since 2003!! I was only 17 lol. I’m 35 now and ended up with another 3g I can’t believe it. Only reason I did it because it was a rare se-I sedan with literally no rust and only 123k. But anyways can’t wait to see the next update, at least it running. Just spent hours going threw the pages of this thread. Lol. My names Tom, talk soon.
    Tom! It's a pleasure meeting you! I wish I had such cool veteran status, that's awesome that you're back in the community! I'm flattered that you took the time to scroll through this unhinged project- much like you, I'm also more than excited to one day let this hit the road- but paint is next, and trust me, it's going to take plenty of patience on both our ends! And I'll go in and out on activity as life determines, but I always have this thread in the back of my mind, so updates will be sure to keep coming!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Blog!? BLOG! Been an eon, time to type!

It’s been an odd month or two- I did a lot of… well not a lot, then all the sudden everything happened- and It’s been pretty crazy even keeping track of all the updates! I also passed the five year mark of being a 3gee owner, crazy how much has happened in half a decade! Here’s to hoping I eventually finish this before I celebrate a full decade!

Anyways, let’s start wiiiiiiith… not Accord’s! How about the Civic! Its chapter has come to a close- but not without a fantastic few weeks of travel- I put ~500+ miles on it after I threw a plate on it to enjoy it before I handed my friend the keys and title, fulfilling the complete quest of the car. But my girlfriend and I did get a chance to take a beautiful evening and shoot the car, and frankly they’re some of my photos I may have shot… ever. The weather was beautiful, cassettes bumping, and company great. Really fantastic time altogether, it will be (and is already) missed!

Name:	IMG_8275.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	311.4 KB 
ID:	10861

Name:	IMG_8281.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	10862

Name:	IMG_8270.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	320.7 KB 
ID:	10863
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]10863[/ATTACH
    So I’ll certainly be missing the car, but it did exactly as I had intended and filled in that final chunk of change I needed to paint the Accord, so I guess logic beats out emotion yet again! Oh well! In other news, I went to Mackinac Island with some friends, Cedar Pointe another weekend, a wedding for a friend of mine, attended the “largest classic german car gathering in America” and also a “ClamShell” wagon meet in Ohio, so I definitely had a few ‘lax weekends here and there. Very good times though, met some really cool people, and had a great time seeing some really cool stuff.

Name:	IMG_8623.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	270.3 KB 
ID:	10864
    But finally getting on track here, the Accord has… really transformed since my last post! Here’s a baseline of what the Accord looked like when I last posted:

Name:	IMG_8201.jpg 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	10865
    Still pretty recognizable? Well let’s get going on what’s been going on since then! I’ve COMPLETELY gutted the car, these photos are outdated already as we’ve been straight HAULING on this thing. Two friends came over last weekend and dropped the drivetrain and both subframes (with ease! Everything came apart great, the front subframe and engine were literally only about an hour of wrenching. Couldn’t be more grateful for their work!)

Name:	IMG_8706.jpg 
Size:	259.2 KB 
ID:	10866
    And then the better part of the evening was mounting the car on the rotisserie!!! Unfortunately due to having too much ground to cover, only one photo will have to justice! (but if someone want’s more, I’ve got like 10 images of possibly informative photos for anyone else who wants to take their car for a spin. )

Name:	IMG_8470.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	10867
    Just for proof of concept, we also wanted to see if the Accord could stand the test of its own weight, and much to our surprise, it rolls with ease, but MAN, it’s stressful flipping this thing over!

Name:	IMG_8876.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	252.9 KB 
ID:	10877
    Last edited by B0CKS; 08-16-2021 at 12:34 PM.

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

And as mentioned, there’s nothing left to the ride! Glass will be removed once it hits the shop, but I feel like this photo of the car upside down really shows how far we’ve gone. I’ve removed both the factory and my sound deadening that I installed a few years back (great way to blow 60 bucks and a week, but oh well!!) But more importantly, show you all the light bleeding through the holes were we removed grommets- brake line grommets, every plug I could see, e-brake lines, this is about as far as I’ve ever seen anyone go into the depths of 3gee! I’m just hoping my plastic bag and numbering system for organizing all these parts doesn’t get too complex, because MAN there is a lot to keep track of!

Name:	IMG_8875.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	10869
    And speaking of doing things twice- that I’m embarrassed to add is this here hole I blew in the firewall yesterday, like a BIG one. Basically, I deleted the torque arm bracket last summer while cleaning up the firewall, and then went to design and make a bracket I could replace the one I ripped off. Went to drill the holes, and got a pretty big tear in the thin metal built almost entirely out of welds. And after looking at it, I had to admit that metal work just wasn’t up to par with the longevity I need to get out of this car, so I figured we’d start fresh and rip gut everything that’s awful, install a clean slate and work from there. I’d do it myself, but I don’t have the time, and the car is ideally being dropped off at the body shop this week, so we’ll be leaving this one to the pros!

Name:	IMG_8885.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	10870
    Okay, one more image of the body I have to throw in was the cleanup process, when we flipped the car over it was practically a metallic rainstorm of dust and debris that had been piling in every crevasse and floorpan after being in a working garage for ~5 years at this point, and so the wise. Dad-powered decision was to bust out the leafblower shortly afterwards and give the thing a good dusting. Check out that cloud!!

Name:	IMG_8879.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	307.9 KB 
ID:	10871
    And in “stuff” news- a new 3gee hit a yard lately, and I had the joy of harvesting an impressive amount of hardware out of the interior in preparation of the eventual re-assembly, along with some other cool stuff.

Name:	IMG_8287.jpg 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	10872
    The “main score” was a pair of power window harnesses for the doors- I’ll be honest- I’ve got a pair of left and right manual mirrors, but something about the idea of fancy options suddenly grabbed hold in my skull, and now I was just itching to install some fancy, futuristic technology that lets me move some panes of glass without becoming a parabola and reach across the car. So I dusted off my door harnesses and spliced in the new wiring, and it was pretty painless! Still gotta crack open the dash wiring, but this is doing plenty in the meantime!

Name:	IMG_8393.jpg 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	10873
    Let’s see- I also got a great haul in terms of lasercut parts, amp trays are in, (hopefully) final design for the fogs are done, scoop support (we’ll get to it!) and a few little odds and ends also arrived in the mail! Then you can also see a few misc. E-brake brackets also got that special powdercoated coating! Should make a pretty enjoyable install once it’s time!

Name:	IMG_8682.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	10874
    In terms of random junk, I bought some R888Rs! If you’re not familiar, they’re a pretty sweet tire made by Toyo, and in ever-so-elusive 195/50/R15 size- which is exactly what I’m looking for with for my set of Conquest Cowbells, a project that will come to light soon after the car is done! And these still have a good amount of life left, and the were a good deal, so I figured I’d just keep these around for mockup or spares!

Name:	IMG_8649.jpg 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	10875
    But, BIG UPDATE? I got a huge 3D printed parts haul, while it includes a few parts for other people, we’re concerning ourselves with the SCOOP, AND SPOIIILER! The big stuff is FINALLY here, and in it’s final form!

Name:	IMG_8718.jpg 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	10876

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

The spare hood has been absolutely kicking butt with its final role- being a horrible workbench. Wait. No, that’s not it. Right- being a great cadaver for learning about the hood scoop and how it interacts with the print. I’ve got a messy amount of holes drilled, as well as learning about fitment! I’ve still got the SLS grille as well as a more refined exterior inlet coming, but I’m still able to do plenty at the moment!

Name:	IMG_8749.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	10878
    Gen… III(?) of the spoiler is also here, and it’s fitting really nice! I won’t go and say it’s OEM perfection, but I’m still quite pleased it with it! I’ve officially located and drilled holes in the trunk for access and bolt holes, and it’s been a project making everything work, but it’s been quite rewarding!

Name:	IMG_8779.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	10879
    And, my fingers are starting to hurt, as excited I am for this project too- so I’ll keep it short, but we’re making good progress in the modelling department too- the armrest is coming along great! I’ll only attach one WIP image for now, but here’s how it’s shaping up! Not a ton to remark except for on the base- you can see the grid there where the hardware goes through, should result in less breaks at the base. Take note Honda- you might have something to learn!

Name:	IMG_8688.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	10880
    Oh yeah! And I’ve been scouring junkyards I haven’t dropped by lately to see if there’s anything worth snagging for the car and guess what!? I’ve been scoring some SICK, FREAKING, HOT GARBAGE, for GREAT PRICES. Check out my freaking cool collection of THREE CRV tables!! (I literally found a fourth on Saturday, but that’s going to be going to a buddy!) I already had one, but MORE IS BETTER. WOOOOO. I also now randomly own TWO(!??) Pontiac Aztec coolers! And a freaking Aztec Air Mattress, something I’ve never heard of before!

Name:	IMG_8667.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	10881
    Alright! I really gotta hit the barn and poke more holes in my car. Till next time!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Why are you collecting random SUV accessories?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Super cool! Loving it ALL!
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    Why are you collecting random SUV accessories?
    There's only one Accord in one of the ~6 junkyards I frequent, so secondary, fun objectives get to take some priority! Just gotta itch that car-guy-hoarding itch somehow or another

Super cool! Loving it ALL!
    Always appreciate your enthuaism Snooz!! Getting pretty well into the thick of it these past few months!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Okay here’s my attempt at getting back on the horse of updating this blog more frequently- let’s see how I do!

So! The big push is OVER. In short, the Accord is at the body shop! Made it a-okay! But here’s a breakdown of events- we spent a good chunk of last week working on installing a winch on our car trailer- something we’ve been planning on doing for years (I bought a winch in… 2017? 2018? In preparation for this project) and we’ve finally bit the bullet and got the burb wired to accept it, made a thick metal plate to bolt the tongue box and winch too, made a fairlead mounting plate, and a few other doodads and got them all sorted and functional- the deadline being getting the rotisserie and car onto the trailer without having to do a ton of labor pulling the thing up using the tried and true ratchet strap method. So, wrapped that up Thursday and spent the night getting the car fully situated on the trailer, using no less than 13 ratches straps, microfibers, two blocks of wood, jack stands and the engine hoist to lift the car into place. Doesn’t look like a lot, but boy did we have some anxiety about the way this thing would ride.

Name:	IMG_8907.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	10882
    Fortunately, the hour and a half drive Friday afternoon was all sorts of pleasant, and went without a hitch, the car, rotisserie and trailer all rode like they were a single part, and the shop conveniently had a forklift that we used to pull the car off the trailer, making it a breeze to unload. Once unloaded- I got to give the owner a tour of the car, what needs to be welded, cut, sanded here and there, so on and so forth. The quarter panels- like any Honda, are the dicey part of the body- and while I know this car is pretty solid, they’ve got juuuuust enough corrosion in them to be kind of sketchy. So, after talking a bit on how to approach them- here’s what we concluded- we’d have the complete bottom of the car and rear wheel wells media blasted! Which is awesome- no more worries about rust, and we’ll fantastic adhesion for undercoating, and clean metal for it to bond to. Which is neat- but is an easy ~1500 addition (for blasting alone) addition to the budget.

Name:	IMG_8913.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	411.1 KB 
ID:	10883
    And well. That means I need to get to making some cash, the rate the body shop will eat up my savings is darn quick- so I need to act quick and do what I can to make or pinch cash where I can- so I leapt into action and do what my mind does in neutral, shop for Honda’s.

…and in short, I introduce you to the Z-Cord. It’s an 89 LX Auto Sedan, not a particularly fancy ride, but for the price of a mere 600 bucks- and a convenient four hours away from me, with crappy photos and ugly wheels, this pretty quickly became a pretty great candidate for either a simple flip or a new Daily Driver. Word is the car spent some time in California, and has a pretty clean body to prove it- well, surprisingly nice for a car in Northern Michigan. It doesn’t have spark, and the previous owner replaced most of the components related to ignition in the hunt for the answer, and so frankly, there’s the last little 10% that doesn’t check out, and that’s what we’ll be tracking down. Here’s a pair of the photos from the listing, showing the exact quality of photo I’m talking about.

Name:	IMG_8895.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	10889

Name:	IMG_8896.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	10884
    So, as you can tell, it’s going to need some TLC, I’ve got paint on the way for the bumper, and pretty much every part I need already sitting around the shop. But here’s a few photos of the car I can pack into this post showing the state of the car, the first thing to do was blast off all the grime it had accumulated from sitting- so pardon the liquid clear coat- that’s a little shinier than the actual car- but the paint is healthy, and I can't wait to give it a polish!

Name:	IMG_8934.jpg 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	10885
    The engine bay is complete and appears pretty healthy, AC is all there, cruise, and power steering are both right where they should be, and word is still out on whether or not I’ll be keeping the previous-owner-installed subwoofer wiring.

Name:	IMG_8967.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	371.6 KB 
ID:	10886
    The interior is in great shape for being a car that had life in the south, and is very complete. And I need to mention that yes, I added the full center console, if it came with that I’d be buying lottery tickets too!

Name:	IMG_8965.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	279.5 KB 
ID:	10887
    And lastly, here’s a sneak peak at the choice of wheels I’m hoping to roll around on- a set of Prelude 14” hubcaps I picked up practically a year ago for a project of exactly this scope. Really already love how they look, if only in mockup form.

Name:	IMG_8970.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	10888
    So what’s the plan for this car? First- get it running, and learn about what maintenance this car does or doesn’t need. Then, bodywork is the big ask for this thing- it’s not rusty but a few years on Michigan roads and the car will start going pretty quick, so there’s a few spots I want to nip in the bud- specifically the rocker panel has a genuine hole, and the trunk has a wart that needs to be squished now. Then, obviously the bumper and headlights need to match the rest of the car. In terms of modifications- I’ve got a few spare Integra lips sitting in storage I’m planning to fit to the front end, the Prelude wheels, and the first draft full 3D printed spoiler I’ve been debating about adding on just for fun. I figure I won’t be doing much else with it, might as well put it to some kind of use! And maayyyyybe pick up some lowering springs if I fall in love with this ride. The big debate is whether I sell this Accord or my daily driver Sonic to fund the A-Cord, I could get roughly ~1000-1500 in return for this car, or shake all the money back out of driving the Sonic and sell it for ~3500 and just go back to being a strictly 3G guy. Who knows what the future holds! I’m just as curious as you guys!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Your cheapo car looks better than my car and all I feel is pain

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Se-I

Glad to see the civic was a fun experiment and still sold it later. tons of work as always on the accord! I see the new accord can be a daily, not sure if I would want to daily it and just flip it. its nice to have newer vehicles to daily and keep the oldies for the project. It always gave me peace of mind although having a car payment sucks, I needed it because I always had to travel since I was 19. I've done all that old car traveling and breaking down days enough, lol.

I have been going threw mine like crazy since I got it a few months ago. I took a road trip and picked up some period correct old school rare OZ Starlight wheels 15x7 +32 with tires in mint shape, just missing center caps which is typical and rare to find. One day lol. I only paid $375. worth 8-900 without center caps and 13-1400 with them, id say score! I'm new to being on a computer and forum again, sorry for the punctuation and grammar or run off sentences lol.

anyways not to jack your thread lol so on mine I have done a full tune up and valve cover gasket. I also just ordered on rock auto (Gotta love them)

Moog upper front and rear control arms with ball joints
    Moog front lower ball joints
    Couple motor mounts
    Rear rotors&pads
    pass. axle
    Rear oem mudflaps off a member on the forum.

hoping that's it for a little lol, covid has changed a lot for me this past year, I have a hefty car payment too on my 14 is350 f sport I just recently purchased. love it btw. I need to pace myself since I'm currently out of work and bills will catch up. I will try to get back into the forum groove of things again. posting pictures I'm sure will be a nightmare lol. I have tons. I'm sure we could touch base on another format lol. well talk soon, Tom.
    2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (daily)
    2006 Acura TSX (wife’s)
    1989 Honda Accord SE-I (new project)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Se-I

So.....about pacing myself lol....I also seen you mentioning you have some spare integra lips? I see there a little tuff to find or you can order threw Honda websites. Would you be willing to sell one?? I just repainted all the moldings and that would be a nice touch. also removed the 32 year old pinstripe, what a nightmare. My next purchase is the $140 Full poly kit for the car, comes with front poly sway bar links and caster bushing (torque rods or whatever in the front lol) then all ill have left is looking like yellow speeds for me on Black Friday sales lol. KKK I'm done..
    2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (daily)
    2006 Acura TSX (wife’s)
    1989 Honda Accord SE-I (new project)

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

cAlright, there’s going to be a record amount of hands in this post, so brace your eyes as necessary. We’re running low on where to put junk!

It’s been a week! Spent last weekend camping instead of being productive, so I’m looking forward to making that up this coming weekend! So pardon the lack of productivity in this post, just trying to keep up with the weeks!

Let’s start with the Z-Cord! So this thing had to be trailered home ~200 miles for lack of spark, so Thursday night, a buddy of mine, my Dad and I all sat down to figure out what the issue was. We figured we should throw a spark plug test light between the coil and distributor first, if it does have spark, then there’s something up with the distributor, if it doesn’t, then there’s a possibility that something was up under the dashboard, so, start in the middle, work from there. Test light didn’t give us any spark coming from the coil, so next thing to check was 12v signals going to it from the key, so we tested the plugs coming from the main wiring harness under crank, and they had good signal! So, we take a wild guess, walk back to the B-Cord that’s been sitting outside for ~2 years (without a hood) and grab the coil hanging on the car, pull the brand new coil off the Z-Cord and swap it in and turn the key. SHWOOOOM, starts up in a quarter crank. Couldn’t have happened faster. High five’s all around, car runs great. Has some squeaks from who knows where on the road, brakes are kinda soft, and there’s probably all of a quart of scorched ATF in it, but it still shifts and gets on just fine. Personally, HUGE WIN. We all got a great laugh out of taking a 30+ year old part, throwing it in haphazardly and instantly fixing the issue. Feels good. Also, took a moment to grab the nice camera and pop off a couple shots of the car looking good with the new hubcaps and a wash, pretty geeked about this ride.

Name:	IMG_8560.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	10890
    Oh yeah- there is a catch- turns out the 14” steelies I picked up are off a Mazda of some sort, and don’t let the prelude hubcaps totally seat, so I’ll have to find a new set of wheels if I want to run these, so it’s gonna be on ugly 13’s for now! Shucks!

Name:	IMG_8557.jpg 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	10891
    Two rattlecans of clear coat and “Seattle Silver” Paint also showed up for the car (eating a hundred bucks!), so I figured the headlight doors would be good test panels for paint match, so I removed them, sanded, etching prime, primed, painted then cleared the door, aaaaaaaaaand basically- it’s close. It’s definitely got a tone or two to be correct, but I suppose that’s just how paint (especially metallic) is going to be. I’m pretty content, and I’m sure they’ll be 95% better than seeing rust and mismatched panels all around this car. Yay bodywork! I think I’ll take Friday off and go to town fixing this all up.

Name:	IMG_8993.jpg 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	10892
    That’s it for Z-Cord! A-Cord is out at the shop (duh) and currently the owner is out on vacation, so not much word yet on status. Buuuuuuuut! A very cool box arrived! (finally! Ordered all this in like July) All my SLS prints from Shapeways! Let’s start with the small stuff, then get to what I’m really nerding out over! The airbox needed a couple details, I protected for a Positive Crankcase Pressure vent hole, but needed a good answer to fill that hole, I modelled the part out (seen on the side of the box, and data a few pages back here), and it fits great. I’ve got a slot in it to allow for a slice of an air filter to slide in so that we don’t blow garbage out, or suck anything in from the bottom of the box, and a little tab to allow for weatherstripping to complete it’s loop around the main circle! I’m happy with it! The bung on the bottom (or bunghole, for Snooz) is a drain fit to an M14 thread, nothing complex, just a water drain if the scoop gets a little too thirsty.

Name:	IMG_9030.jpg 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	10893
    Then, part one of two (technically of four) of the pair of tweeter housings came in. This grille goes in front of the door handle and will most likely be wrapped in cloth ultimately, but I actually really like the look of the bare, 3D printed mesh. Fantastic quality part!

Name:	IMG_9033.jpg 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	10894
    Then, the BIG STUFF. The main parts for the hoodscoop came in! I ordered a new inlet, and got the grill specifically printed in SLS nylon, and WOW, they are CRISP. I instantly dropped the whole contraption on the spare hood, and I LOVE the way it fits the shape of the hood. It’s seriously very tight. And the grill fits between the duct and inlet great, the badge fits well, overall I couldn’t be happier. All around, super cool.

Name:	IMG_9036.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	10895
    The next step was test the one little secret feature of the scoop- the LEDs! Now worth mentioning now is that the grill is going to be BLACK. Not white! I’ve got a can of SEM trim spray ready to go! And the inlet is going to be sanded and painted NH-512 just like the rest of the car, So the light leak is a problem we’ll be dealing with shortly. I’m also thinking about adding some resistors to the circuit to dull it down, these bulbs are pretty potent! But that’ll wait until we paint on the part.

Name:	IMG_9037.jpg 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	10896
    I’m SO happy with how nice these parts are coming out, It’s a very subtle look- even with the lights, I think dulled to a nice low light, it should be a pretty sharp detail. If it turns out I hate it, I’ll just unplug em anyway lmao!

Name:	IMG_9040.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	10897
    But yeah! That’s this week in the books! I’m probably going to go wrench on a Corvair tonight, so toodles!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by B0CKS View Post
    (or bunghole, for Snooz)

I lolled!

That R-badge is a nice touch. Very nicely done!

Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Hey! It’s been like two weeks at this point! I’ve started writing something like four times over for this, but just can’t find 20 minutes of filtered concentration, so here’s to trying!

Last week was a lot of fun on the car- I got it up on the lift for the first time, and knocked out roughly ~4 pounds of sand and rock from between the exhaust heat shield and underbody and other small crevasses- definitely stuff that was picked up in the deserts of California considering how dry and sandy it was. I also gave the underside a good scrub then added a fresh layer of undercoating- there were a lot of places that been biffed or rubbed off over time, and a jet black underside alwaaaaays looks clean. Also threw a lil lick of paint on the muffler- it had a ton of roadgrime layered on it, and I figure we could improve the look pretty easy for a bit. Can’t hurt!

Name:	IMG_9073.jpg 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	10904
    While the car was on the lift I also put all four 13” steelies (that came with the car) through the sandblaster! And gave them a lick of fresh silver paint. With the 14” prelude hubcaps not fitting on the steelies I have, I wanted to look at least decent in the meantime, and I personally think the silver steel wheel has always been a great look- on any car.

Name:	IMG_9074.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	10905
    The one other project that was mended while the car was on the lift was the rear bumper, it had been pretty well ripped at some point, and the bumper was pretty deformed from that tear. So, I tore it down after I had it off and spent some time with the plastic welder stitching it back together, and it’s far less noticeable than the damage it had before. I’m still not sure if I’m going to be restoring that area, we’ll see how much paint we have leftover once more visible areas get their spritz.

Name:	IMG_9084.jpg 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	10906
    The next day involved a lot of rattlecans and masking as were going after the enjoyable project of restoring the vertical door trim, wing mirrors, and beltline trim! You can see a fresh layer of SEM Trim Black near the glass, and just how much it pops even with the masking paper still on it.

Name:	IMG_9089.jpg 
Size:	407.7 KB 
ID:	10907
    We still need to spray the rear bumper and that tiny little back piece of edge trim on the driver’s side, but that is SUCH a good difference! Takes off years of wear. Also, I’m normally in favor of pulling trim off the car to prevent overspray- but what I learned with these door trim pieces is that the clips are behind the crash support structure of the inner door (unlike the coupe! Guess the coupes are just better lmao) , And I don’t have the inventory of clips that I need to support pulling off those clips and replacing them. Maybe there’s some technique- I dunno! Also! You can see the other headlight door is painted from this angle! Came out decent!

Name:	IMG_9098.jpg 
Size:	300.7 KB 
ID:	10908
    A few days after that I got to frolic in a junkyard and found most of what I needed for the car- a replacement piece of beltline trim for the driver’s door (the front rubber part was catching on the fender and had been ripped off. I took a glove, put it between the door and fender to push out the fender back to alignment and fixed that problem!) a few pieces of weather seal- the upper driver’s weather seal that spans both doors had a good sized hole in it, now it won’t! The other piece is for the front bumper- the one that’s on the car has overspray- this one won’t! Lastly a replacement regulator and another taillight, the one on the car had a decent little chunk missing from the bottom corner and was bothering me! Not a bad haul for ~25 bucks! Also grabbed fluids for a trans flush and oil change!

Name:	IMG_9137.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	10909
    And this isn’t exciting, but here’s a photo later in that night with all working rear bulbs and the replaced taillight after a fluid change, and I was happy to find that neither the oil or ATF had any metal flakes or garbage in it, which is very reassuring! The ATF also helped the car shift some, which is good to see- I also got some fuel/carb cleaner and loaded it into the tank and some directly into the carb, which I thiiiink makes a decent difference! Good to be checking things off!

Name:	IMG_9143.jpg 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	10910

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Moving on from that- we have bodywork! The front end needs a good amount of work- and starting with the biggest chunk- the front bumper is the elephant in the room. I removed the front license plate and found some damage around the mounting locations, and so to deal with that I pulled a bumper that was just up and sitting in the rafters (how convenient! I believe it came off the now A-Cord who knows how many years back) and frankly, it’s in GREAT shape- it seems like so many of these bumpers have a corner scuffed up, and it was pleasant not to see concrete scrapes nearly anywhere on this. I ordered some flexible primer and after a quick sand, threw that down, then masked off the black and sprayed that! What you see if evidence of that work below. I wanted to spray black first and without overspray- I don’t want black fades to show in the final bumper paint, and if I happen to peel up any tape and pull paint off- I’d much rather have black rip up over paint if I have to correct! But anyways, SEM black is cool!

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	10911
    Moving on from that- I also sandblasted two spots on the car- the passenger side rear lower door had a growing spot, so that has to go, this shows the bare metal after sandblasting (not pretty I know) right before it caught etching primer, I did the same with a bubble in the trunk!

Name:	IMG_9228.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	10912
    Then the largest rust repair task on this car I’m fighting is in the lower rocker, I cut out all the metal there and have the outer side replacement metal shaped, and just need to form the part that goes into the wheel well, then weld it in! Pretty exciting!

Name:	IMG_9230.jpg 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	10913
    Lastly, there’s one more problem that required the welder- the driver’s door. Not sure if I mentioned this, but the car came with the door gutted, the motor missing and the regulator out- the root problem seemed to be the sheetmetal in the door giving out. I pointed out the holes that are literally cracking with those two lil red arrows, which is not ideal!

Name:	1.JPG 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	10914
    So I ordered a new motor, grabbed a spare regulator (to be safe) and got out the welder- it’s not pretty, but the cracks were all drilled out and then welded (and of course, subsequently ground lmao) giving much of the rigidity back to the panel. Woo!

Name:	IMG_9237.jpg 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	10915
    The thought crossed my mind that there is a weld-free fix on this- and like all things I love, it requires some loose cut paper and lasercutting! I could make a sandwich plate that would reinforce the panel. This is the first time I’ve seen this failure on a 3gee door, but if I did lasercut these parts, does anyone else want one?

Name:	IMG_9239.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	10916
    Lastly, no real updates on the main Accord project! It’s being media blasted at the moment (which is SUPER cool) and I’m planning to visit the shop once it’s in epoxy primer where all the undercoating once was, but it’s going to be slow moving for a while! But I gotta keep content coming, so the Z Cord is going to be in limelight for another couple months!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

I lolled!

That R-badge is a nice touch. Very nicely done!

Glad you like it!! Definitely been growing on me. It's actually pretty surprising just how tucked away it is, certainly going to be an easter egg for a lot of people!

Gotta speak in a language you'll understand!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 88AccorD4Life View Post
    So.....about pacing myself lol....I also seen you mentioning you have some spare integra lips? I see there a little tuff to find or you can order threw Honda websites. Would you be willing to sell one?? I just repainted all the moldings and that would be a nice touch. also removed the 32 year old pinstripe, what a nightmare. My next purchase is the $140 Full poly kit for the car, comes with front poly sway bar links and caster bushing (torque rods or whatever in the front lol) then all ill have left is looking like yellow speeds for me on Black Friday sales lol. KKK I'm done..
    Hey Tom! Sorry for getting back to this so late! If my archaic forum posting isn't sign enough that I need to get better at social media, I don't know what is lmao! I do have a couple spare lips! Do you know which type you're looking for?

But anyways, dude you've got a killer build! SO many nice parts! Sounds like a really proper build- yellow speeds and those OZ's are gonna be like bread and butter! And for a song too! Nice man!! I'll try to keep better touch, good luck with the wrenching!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Time to blow off some DUST. I have not updated this in WAY too long, which is a huge mistake, because I have been nothing but busy! It’s been a crazy couple months since I typed anything here, and it’s been SUPER exciting to see projects moving forward at such a good pace!

I’ll be honest- the reason I stopped posting for a bit was because I was ashamed. Embarrassed even. Why? Because at a time when things could not be more hectic, I went out, and did a thing. Probably not the smartest thing, but a thing. I did a loop of Ohio with my best friend, car trailer in tow. For those of you who understand maps, or the general layout of Ohio- we woke up in Lansing Michigan at 4am, proceeded to drive down the southwestern corner of Cincinnati, then all the way East to Zanesville, then allllll the way north to Cleveland, then back to Novi, all in a day. Holy cow, it was so much time on the road. Going backward, let me explain my steps: In Cleveland, we picked up a BRAND NEW third gen Accord tow hitch (we recently got a pop up camper, and I’d love to do some period-correct towing with it!) for 20 bucks- when they retail for about ~250. So that was a steal, and definitely a worthy one. The stop in Zanesville was for my buddy, where he picked up a 2006 AWD Dodge Magnum RT- an absolute monster of a car, and a project that’s close on the horizon. Really excited for it, I’ll post about it once there’s more to say. And since his car drove, and I had saved a spot on the trailer, I’ll introduce you to what we have affectionally named the Gord. An 89 LX-I Coupe.

Name:	IMG_8599.jpg 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	10957
    Now. Before I get too carried away, let me make a quick list to help clear things up:
    The B-Cord: Is the first car I ever bought, an 88 Accord DX Coupe in the summer of 2016, and after lowering it and replacing the clutch, I drove into a tree. It’s been on and off the road plenty of times since.
    The A-Cord: is an 88 DX Coupe I bought in winter of 2016 to be the car that would receive all the nice parts from the B-Cord after it was wrecked. It’s currently in the body shop, and will be the car that stays with me forever
    The Z-Cord: is an 89 LX Sedan I just bought a few months ago for a song. It needs a trans and still needs some issues sorted out, then I’m planning to sell it to help fund the A-Cord project. Basically the same fate that awaited the 87 Civic, 88 Civic, 87 Conquest, and so on. It was named the Z-Cord because it was supposed to be my last Accord. Feel free to laugh.
    And now there’s the Gord. (there’s so many that now we’re abbreviating them. The Bord and Zord sound cool, Aooooord sounds dumb) and well, it’s got a really weird purpose. This car isn’t really a flip, it’s not a parts car, and it’s not a keeper- just look at the rust. What my main goal for this car is… is reference. And to help me in the inevitable binds that are coming soon. Once it’s time to reassemble the body of the A-Cord, I know for a fact that I’ll be missing hardware, trim clips, and not have any idea where X-Bolt goes, or the correct length for another, and so on, so basically, I’ll be doing some light picking from this car, and then most likely sending it on its way. But it also had another purpose, and you might be able to infer what I’m getting at with this photo (also, look under the back of the Gord and you can spot the hitch, nice!)

Name:	IMG_8610.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	246.3 KB 
ID:	10958
    This car is the same color as the Z-Cord- with a freshly resprayed front end at that, which saves me some pretty big headaches as now all I have to do is a front end swap- not a proper respray of a fender, hood, and bumper on the Z-Cord- I can just swap those parts- and we’ll get to that in a couple photos. Call this foreshadowing. But anyways, more on the Gord. This thing is surprisingly cool, and I wish it was in a better state, because I’d love to really bring it around. What really drew me to this car in particular was how clean and unmolested the factory interior was and with it’s super cool options. A fuel injected coupe with a stick is sweet- but it also has power windows and mirrors (something that will require a lot of work, but will be something I’m going to steal and put in the A-Cord because I’m insane.) and not a single tear on any of the fabric.

Name:	IMG_8595.jpg 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	10959
    But what I found really interesting, is the one modification that was done to the interior- an aftermarket sunroof. Word is is that it can open, but not close. Also this car doesn’t want to start, we were able to bump start it, and drive it around the block when I bought it, but if we wanted to make it roadworthy, we’d have to sort out a lot of stuff. But anyways, with the Gord introduced, lets get to work.

Name:	IMG_8596.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	10960
    One of the parts the Gord quickly lost were it’s 14” Honda steelies, which is very exciting, because that means I got to take my Prelude hubcaps out of storage (again) and then I got to finally mount them on the Z-Cord. As seen here. Trust me, less blurry photos are coming and they look great. And as you can tell, the front end swap didn’t wait around at all.

Name:	IMG_9316.jpg 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	10961
    Obviously, the Gord needed to have all its good panels removed, as seen here. I’m not gonna brag, but I’m starting to get familiar with these cars.

Name:	IMG_9322.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	360.1 KB 
ID:	10962
    Then bam, now the Gord looks like sin. No fancy hubcaps, and no clean body panels. A scape goat.

Name:	IMG_9386.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	569.3 KB 
ID:	10963
    But then BAM, look how good the sedan came out! Panel alignment went quite well, and the color match is near perfect. Went from a 600 dollar car to a 3000 dollar car in an afternoon.

Name:	IMG_9390.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	413.7 KB 
ID:	10964
    Then just when things started good, that’s honestly most of the Gord and its story to the present. It’s currently storage for car parts in the corner of my apartment complex, and is going to stay there for quite some time until its second use comes into bloom. It’s not a peeeerfectly justified purchase, but it’s been useful already, and I don’t think I’ll be the end of its life on this planet. Nor do I want it to be. And same thing with the Z-Cord, I got a working window motor and control box, so I got to reassemble the driver’s door which was good, but it’s kinda on hold. I was able to set up a trade for a fifth gear and rear bumper for an auto trans and ECU which should hopefully remedy the Z-Cords inability to be a car, but that trade hasn’t come together yet, so it’s in holding pattern as well. Which means I get to start talking about the other two coupes. One’s meteoric rise and the other’s tragic downfall.

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

The B-Cord has been doing absolutely nothing but slowly lose parts and grow moss in a pretty much unchanging state in a dark corner of our yard. Until I got word from the Bodyshop. Turns out, there was a huge wad in the driver’s rocker on the A-Cord that had a nasty fix that I wasn’t aware of. And well, they needed a new rocker panel, and I couldn’t find an OEM one in stock, sooo, as the lights grew dim, I turned to my old trusted friend and pulled out a long, dull blade…

Name:	IMG_9526.jpg 
Size:	527.3 KB 
ID:	10965
    It now looks like this. It’s an absolute husk. Remember how I said the Gord was holding car parts? Yeah, it’s got nearly all the guts of the B-Cord in it right now, and frankly, it’s pretty packed in there.

Name:	IMG_8618.jpg 
Size:	264.8 KB 
ID:	10967
    I’ll be honest, it’s been a strange mix of emotions with this car, like I’m supposed to be sad- which I am, I mean you can go through this very blog and photos of THIS very car looking like it’s just started rolling the odometer, and man- that tears me up, this car has been around for a long half-decade and has been through so much by my hands, practically feels like I’ve known it forever. But at the same rate, ever since I touched a tree with it, it seems like this had to be the fate of this car. It was blast getting it back on the road with a rattlecan paint job, but it wore quickly- and after it received more and more dings and dents, it went downhill and I knew it was kinda doomed. So it actually felt kinda good leaving no meat on the bone- literally giving up portions of the car to live on as patch panels for the Accord I plan to die in. It’s been a long journey, and for this car, its almost done.

But the thing is, the fun doesn’t end there. It’s going to be a bit of timeleap, so here we go. I recently stripped down the suspension of the A-Cord for Powdercoat, the big chunks need to get professionally done as we don’t have an oven that is that big. So, the cheddas traction bar, both factory sway bars, both crash bars, and both front and rear subframe went out to powdercoat, but I noticed something about the front subframe:

Name:	IMG_9732.jpg 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	10968
    I had just bought a bushing press kit (holy cow that thing is SWEET) and pushed out all four corners, but noticed one had put up one HECK of a fight. After pressing out that bushing, here’s what I found. See that big gap around the inner circle? Yeah those two seams are supposed to be welded together. This subframe is toast.

Name:	IMG_9733.jpg 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	10969
    And so, it turns out the B-Cord had more to give. So, within the course of an hour (we’re not counting the half hour we took for Panda Express Delivery Dinner) my buddy (with the magnum) had turned the car into a hovercraft.

Name:	IMG_9760.jpg 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	10970
    Tada! All the suspension was quickly yanked from the car and piled into a pretty big mess.

Name:	IMG_9763.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	10971
    So, give me a few hours with an impact gun, and here’s our part. Despite being slightly rustier, and in at least one wreck, the B-Cord gave us yet another worthwhile piece. All the bushings came out great, and none of the mounts showed any damage. Huge win! Dropping that off to powdercoated in the next few days.

Name:	IMG_9766.jpg 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	10972
    Wrapping up the final days of the B-Cord here, there was just a couple extra parts we wanted to take off the car. We wanted to try our hand at removing glass- we’ve tried once or twice and were 0-2, but amazingly my Dad and I were able to remove the rear glass in one piece! The rest of the family joined in the fray and my nephew did a great job stomping the roof in, a job only he could do.

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	10973

[SIGPIC]