Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Re: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Quote Originally Posted by B0CKS View Post
    Ah snap! No worries, that is the glory of these forums, there's always the info out there, just tucked in a dark corner I haven't seen yet haha, I'll go make an edit, any chance you could point me to his thread? I'd love to take notes!

No sedans yet! I've had a couple people ask, but so many of my days are booked, that a somewhat larger modelling project is hard to fit in! I'd like to make one yet!

Haha, rear speakers were a welcome upgrade to my other DX, so anything is better than zilch IMO! But me too, I can't wait to get a battery back in the car and see what they sound like (and how nicely they light up), doors on or not lmao!

And you bet! Just gotta find a second to get those dimensions!
    I don't think jon (wickedaccord) had a specific build thread. This is the last post from when he was selling his car if I recall.
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/sale/69730-my-car-$1000-00-a.html

Most of the links to his pictures are dead too unfortunately. Though I'm sure I have some burried on a hard drive at home.
    Ooh... I found his cardomain is still live; http://www.cardomain.com/ride/614870/1989-honda-accord/

What dimensions are you after?

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i View Post
    I don't think jon (wickedaccord) had a specific build thread. This is the last post from when he was selling his car if I recall.
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/sale/69730-my-car-$1000-00-a.html

Most of the links to his pictures are dead too unfortunately. Though I'm sure I have some burried on a hard drive at home.
    Ooh... I found his cardomain is still live; http://www.cardomain.com/ride/614870/1989-honda-accord/

What dimensions are you after?
    Gotta find the details on the Loonies and Toonies (right?)-I believe you mentioned one of them was a bit bigger than a quarter, so I gotta swap up the model a bit and make a CDM version!

Oh snap! It's too bad its fallen out of stardom, after doing some research, I am loosely familiar with his build! Such a cool car, that thing must have RIPPED. Had no idea it was ITR powered!
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

Build thread! https://www.3geez.com/forum/project-...upe-build.html
    [SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Gotta find the details on the Loonies and Toonies (right?)-I believe you mentioned one of them was a bit bigger than a quarter, so I gotta swap up the model a bit and make a CDM version!

Oh snap! It's too bad its fallen out of stardom, after doing some research, I am loosely familiar with his build! Such a cool car, that thing must have RIPPED. Had no idea it was ITR powered!
    Oooh right! haha. I'll measure some up for you and send the info!
    Yeah, his car was awesome, I know it was a built boosted b18c at one point, and had a b18c ITR motor as well at one point. Was quite epic.

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i View Post
    Oooh right! haha. I'll measure some up for you and send the info!
    Yeah, his car was awesome, I know it was a built boosted b18c at one point, and had a b18c ITR motor as well at one point. Was quite epic.
    No doubt! In that case, I'll gladly take the second place hahaha, massive respect for his ride!

I think the difference is that they're like 28 mils instead of like 25mm, nothing too serious!
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

And in more updates, its been Christmas for me for a couple months at this point, this represents about 80% of what's coming for this block. I'll update the full build list once the block is complete- but all we're really missing here is bearings, rings, the (shipped) DC racing Header, and about 50+ items OEM bolts and bits from Acura! Pretty exciting to lay it all out!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2022.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	9815
    Should start tearing the block down on Saturday! Can't wait to get started!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Got some good news from the weekend! With the help of people who know what they’re doing, we tore down the Block! Everything came apart very easily, and we were surprised at how fresh everything looked! The block appears to have been very well maintained, and most likely very low on miles! There was no sludge in the oil pan, no scoring on the piston walls, and nearly everything in the head looked decent! So I’m pretty excited at what we- didn’t- find. In fact, the worst of it was literally the part we pulled, the literal last piston we pulled showed a fairly toasty bearing, it wasn’t failing at the moment, but certainly made this whole teardown worth it, because it certainly wouldn’t have been good down the road!

But regardless of the good news, I’m planning on taking the block, head and crank to a machine shop to get the head rebuilt, and then have them inspect the block for any out of spec tolerances, warping or well, anything that looks out of place, but I’m glad to know I’m starting with a great block, and considering I got it for steal, I more than excited!

Head Looking great!:

Name:	IMG_2036.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	9822
    Crank was all good:

Name:	IMG_2082.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	9823
    And there's the bare block! Everything is bagged and labelled for (hopefully) short storage!

Name:	IMG_2095.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	9824

And in other news, here's $250 bucks of brand new OEM Honda/Acura bolts look like:

Name:	IMG_2138.jpg 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	9825
    And here's what $300 bucks of DC Racing Ceramic 4-2-1 coated header looks like!

Name:	IMG_2136.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	9826

Till next update!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Re: Bagged B18C '88 DX Coupe Build!

Happy Holidays! To whoever is reading this, I hope you had a great Christmas! I got a few extra days off work, which meant I got to put in some wrench time!

Made a lot of progress on something I’ve been putting off for too long, the rear Subwoofer sefup. I bought a pair of 12” R2D2 Rockford Fosgates (not sure why that’s my go to audio brand, but here we are) and was planning to make a huge, complex overhanging box to house a teeth shattering amount of bass- for my tastes at least- but decided to cut to the chase and go with something a lot simpler. I picked up a R2S shallow mount sub in a pre-made box, and saved me a lot of hassle in getting it hung.

Name:	IMG_2192.jpg 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	9828
    But I’m pretty geeked with how it sits, it really doesn’t take up much space where it is, and doesn’t really mess with the flip down rear-seat mechanism as much as I thought it would (you can see the little rope popping out from over the top of the sub, that’s tied to the little lever to pop the latch at the top of the seat, I thought it was a clever, simple solution!)

Name:	IMG_2195.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	9829
    So that was fun, but I had another large checkbox I wanted to square off this week, and that was dropping my current engine to make room for the Type R. While there was practically nothing to disconnect, it was a quick and surprisingly easy task, made pleasant with an easy suspension tear-down, clean bolts, and amazingly warm weather for Michigan in December.

Name:	IMG_2202.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	9830

Name:	IMG_2203.jpg 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	9831
    The next step was tearing down the block for a few components I wanted to pull from it, and a few others I wanted to sell separately. The Weber/Vacuum Setup is for sale as a package for 600 bucks, I paid around 850 altogether for the Webers, B18 Intake Manifold Flange, Custom spliced throttle cable, and 87 Teg’ Vacuum Distributor. So let me know if that’s something you’ll be interested in, since I’m primarily looking to sell it to a 3Gee Member!

Name:	IMG_2205.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	9835

Name:	IMG_2213.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	9832

Name:	IMG_2217.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	9833
    And so, my car is well- once again- a shell. I know it’s been years of step forward, step backward, but trust me, we’re closing in on the trench run! Merry Christmas, and soon cheers to a New Year!

Name:	IMG_2222.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	9834

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I moved the 3D printed parts posts to here: https://www.3geez.com/forum/restorat...ml#post1217251
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Thanks Snooz! I'll keep watch!

Got a handful more boxes in the mail, and some smaller updates! Hopefully moving forward on the engine itself soon, but I'm still getting prepped to have anything (and everything) ready to go as soon as we're ready to assemble! The first couple of bags and boxes that showed up is an exciting upgrade to the coolant system, full -16an fittings for the upper and lower radiator hose! So that meant new thermostat housing with a threaded bung, and also a K-Tuned upper fitting! Still gotta work out an upgraded radiator than the no-name ebay brand, thinking Skunk2 at the moment!

Name:	IMG_2356.jpg 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	9836
    Then next up, I think I'm finally content with the model I've been working on for around a... year now? Here's a sneak preview of the 3D printed, minor duck-tail spoiler I designed. With the '87 Teg, front lip, I wanted something subtle to compliment the rear, so I arrived at this! I'm already printing the center section and both wings as I type, should hopefully have the whole wing printed by the end of the week for the first off test! Pardon the weird hand, it is mine, and there's only so much I can do to make that more aesthetically pleasing.

Name:	IMG_2367.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	9837
    And lastly! With great power comes great need for stopping ability! So I've picked up a very exciting upgrade to my already upgraded-SE-i-Setup, which is four-piston Wilwood front Caliper setup! Gotta mock em up this weekend! Freaking GEEKED.

Name:	IMG_2361.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	9838

Name:	IMG_2362.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	9839

Name:	IMG_2365.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	9840
    Till next update!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

Wow looking great man! I was excited to hear the carbs but the Type R is worth it!!

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Fixedit View Post
    Wow looking great man! I was excited to hear the carbs but the Type R is worth it!!
    Thanks man! Couldn't have said it better, I never intended to lose the carbs, but there just isn't a way for me to pass up a Type R. That said, Anthony Calabek's Aerodeck is up and running, so at least there's one person with a Weber setup doing justice!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Updates! I caught the flu, which means while I did spend most of these past few days absolutely blasted off NyQuil, I was able to hobble out to the barn and get a few simple things done! Got a lot of hours to pour in, but some more cool boxes arrived, and I got a long way on the spoiler! I’m going to end up re-printing the ends here- they need just a bit more surfacing work to better match the way the corners of the car flow forward, but everything else feels spot on to what I was looking for with this little Ducktail! I’m thinking that once I get version 2.0 done, I could maybe print out a couple for the masses if there’s some interest! They’ll come in pieces and- yes- they’ll take quite a bit of finishing, but if there’s demand, I’d be happy to satisfy!

Name:	IMG_2396.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	9847

Name:	IMG_2403.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	9841

Name:	IMG_2417.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	9842

Name:	IMG_2418.jpg 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	9843

Name:	IMG_2419.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	9848
    Also, Wilwoods are in place! I was worried about fitment since they’re a pretty bulky caliper, but they clear with plenty of space, thank goodness! That said, anyone want to buy a brand new – never used- set of front SE-I Calipers with Power Stop Pads?

Name:	IMG_2387.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	9844
    Then, got another box in the mail! This is the second awesome box from Japan, and in it are what I need to have a fully functional, super clean set of Carrozzeria rear speakers, as this new pair has full subwoofer surrounds! The one thing I truly needed for the other set, but I think I can swing a way to get the other set into a functional pair still. We’ll see! Time to tear them all down and do some swapping, and then we’ll get to see how they sound!

Name:	IMG_2379.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	9845
    I also got this little pair of lights- they’re off of a Japanese NSX, the dude swapped his for clears, and I picked em up! I’m still debating on whether or not I’ll use them, as they’ll be directly over the Red DOHC in the fender trim. TBD!

Name:	IMG_2376.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	9846

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Heyo! Got to spend another Sunday afternoon around the car, I don’t have much that’s particularly groundbreaking, but I was able to square up a few small things here and there. I don’t have much for photos this update, not a lot needed it! I went through the back end of the suspension and double checked that everything was torqued in place, finished installing my braided brake lines, and blew off a lot of dust! I did the same for the fronts, brakes are pretty much good to go, minus a bleed! I spun data on the spoiler and took a swing at remodeling it, but I’m still not happy with the end! It’s close though! And this is very-very tentative, but I might have a lead on a guy who could potentially 3D scan a whole Accord, which is awesome! It’ll be a bit pricey, but it would be really, really cool to get that in data! It would save me a lot of guesswork, and help me design a lot of parts in the future! And in other 3D news, here’s a little story. Since I’m swapping to a taller half-radiator instead of the factory size full width, the placement of hood prop is totally FUBAR. So, after some pondering, I found a EF Civic prop from a junkyard, and got it to lay pretty close to where the factory Civic arm sat over the strut tower. I rebent the arm to fit the Accord, and needed to hold it in place somehow, so I designed this little guy! It’s just a clip with a m6x1.0 thread on it. Uses a factory bolt location, and after taking a tap to the pretty malleable plastic, holds in place just fine! Cheers to the little things!

Name:	IMG_2462.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	9850

Name:	IMG_2464.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	9852
    And in other tiny updates, I installed these PTC bulkheads on all my airlines running to each bag (see the shiny thing under the tank?), which means I can now fully removed my air struts for when I tear down the whole car again for paint, or need to do maintenance on it! I was originally running complete lines directly from the control box to each strut, which made them near impossible to remove, but that has changed! Just a little thing to get out of the way!

Name:	IMG_2465.jpg 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	9851
    Also III: I’m looking for a two piece armrest Upper to BORROW. I have a lower half of a two piece armrest, and I’m hoping to take some time and start building that in 3D so I can reprint those! If anyone has an upper theyd be willing to part with for some time so I can pull dimensions off it, I would love to start reproducing these! This won’t be anytime soon since there’s plenty on my plate (and I don’t necessarily need one, I just want the challenge!) but just to get the idea out there!

Till Next time!
    Last edited by B0CKS; 01-20-2020 at 10:00 AM.

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

Awesome update as always! Even the little things are as exciting. The idea of having a 3g Accord 3D scanned really excites me, as that would solidify the cars trajectory into the future. I hope it works out!!

do the hood struts

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Awesome update as always! Even the little things are as exciting. The idea of having a 3g Accord 3D scanned really excites me, as that would solidify the cars trajectory into the future. I hope it works out!!
    Thanks a ton! Nothing too breathtaking, just some behind the scenes work! But I agree, it would also be a ton of fun to get carried away after this is scanned and design a widebody for these one day

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by rushell View Post
    do the hood struts
    I would if I could! I was never really happy with my solution, but if someone one day figures out the special recipe for getting them to fit without lifting the back of the hood, I'd be all over it!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I might have a lead on a guy who could potentially 3D scan a whole Accord
    Say what???
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Say what???
    Yup yup! Hoping to bring him my spare coupe at some point and have him get a decent exterior scan for us sometime! Only catch is that he's busy and charges $100 an hour, and between saving up for paint, all the machine work that's about to be done on the Type R, and getting a (very expensive) custom wiring harness made for the engine, I might be thin on cash for a little while (even with the help of our favorite car part fund, W2s!) So it'll be a ways out, but he's only about 40 minutes out from home base! It's in the realm of possible!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Heyo!

It’s been another weekend- so why not make a post! Had a lot going on outside of the barn this weekend (my older sister graduated from law school! That’s cool!) , so there’s not a massive update, but got a little done! Most of what went down is that I tore into my Carrozzeria’s! The new set is unfortunately a little bit more jank than I had hoped- the lights in the upper section had been hastily swapped to an LED setup, and pretty recklessly at that, then the subwoofer surrounds are a home-brew latex feeling material that don’t have nearly enough stretch for the sub to make any real sound, so I’ll most likely be 3D printing my own mold and figuring out how to just make my own! How hard can that be?

Name:	IMG_2500.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	9862
    And while I could come close to building a nice pair of all original speakers from the set I have, I think I’ll be respraying them to a new, cleaner silver to undo all the scratches! I’m also looking into some sort of filmless decal to replace the text and logo, I’ve already got everything vectored and good to go, just gotta find the right material to print it with! At least I don’t have a lot to do or anything…

Name:	IMG_2510.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	9863
    And then, as you can tell, I started work on my other DOHC fender trim! The first one came out preeeetty good, it might catch a bit more time with sandpaper, but I’m pretty pleased so far! I had a lot more success with the second one, so I might build one more left side one, just to be safe!

Name:	IMG_2509.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	9864
    So that’s most of it! Dropped off my block at a machine shop, so now its time to anxiously wait to see what the damage is! And coming up soon- I’m going to get a custom made mil-spec harness made for the Type R, and then maybe also (if the guy is up for it) a custom cabin harness with aftermarket fusebox, and plug and play features to the rest of the engine bay components, which would be very cool-and pricey! Then, hoping to run an hour South to Toledo this weekend and pull a first Gen. Pre-facelift Integra bumper, and then cut that up to fit the front of our Accord. It should hopefully be very subtle change from stock, but I that’s what I like most about this build! No end to custom touches! ‘Till next time!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle

Great stuff! Bummer about the speakers but sounds like you have a fearless plan! Curious to see how the bumper turns out, should be cool in the end.

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Great stuff! Bummer about the speakers but sounds like you have a fearless plan! Curious to see how the bumper turns out, should be cool in the end.
    Me too! From what I can tell, it shouldn't be too bad to make work, I found this image of one already on a 3g (post facelift, not really a fan of this bumper) :

Name:	IMG_2333.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	9865
    So all I have to do is take the bumper in this image and section out this little area (probably only an inch or two wide!) and reglue the wing, and if it sucks, then I won't use it! That easy!

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	60 
Size:	353.1 KB 
ID:	9866

And thank you! There's always a way, just gonna have to make a few mistakes and learn some new things!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

You may be able to find a foam or rubber speaker surround on this website.
    https://www.simplyspeakers.com/
    I had an old JL subwoofer that needed repaired, they didnt have my exact model in there but i got a generic one the correct size and it has worked just fine for quite a while now.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    You may be able to find a foam or rubber speaker surround on this website.
    https://www.simplyspeakers.com/
    I had an old JL subwoofer that needed repaired, they didnt have my exact model in there but i got a generic one the correct size and it has worked just fine for quite a while now.
    Thanks for the pointer! That's awesome news they were able to find you one that fit, for some reason rectangular surrounds simply don't exist! I just reached out to them and they didn't have anything for the speaker (which I'm not holding against them! These are horribly rare anyways!), so I think I'll still be building my own!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Man! Already Monday again. This weekend was pretty short and sweet! Not an obscene level of updates, but there’s been a little bit of progress! I ended up going down to a very special junkyard in Ohio on Saturday that has an incredible selection of rad stuff, and was able to score that first gen teg bumper I mentioned in a couple posts prior! It’s in pretty decent shape, one the corners is torn out, but since I’m going to be dicing it up anyways, no biggie! This yard also has three (THREE.) Subaru XT’s in its inventory (if you don’t know what that is, I highly suggest you look it up! They’re totally crazy 80s rides, 100% weird, all that and more awesome.) Which happens to be a friends of mine favorite car, and so I plucked some wheels for him! And, as it turns out, this all fits happily in my Sonic!

Name:	IMG_1817.jpg 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	9875

Name:	IMG_2527.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	9869

Name:	IMG_2529.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	9870
    So once I got back to Lansing, we test fit up the bumper, and there’s a chance we might have lightning in a bottle! I sectioned out one of the ends and taped it up, but forgot to take a photo! But I really like the effect this has on the car, it’s a super nerdy mix of totally OEM, and still highly unique. The passenger side corner is a sneak preview of months from now with the remaining chunk of that lip still on it, and OH MAN. I’d really love to make this work!

Name:	IMG_2535.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	9871
    Then, here’s some rambling updates- as promised, I grabbed some measurements for the speaker surrounds, and I’ve got a mold ready to be printed, that should be coming up next weekend! I’ve got to ask around about which material is best used- but the 3D side is squared up!:

Name:	Foam.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	9872
    And while also at the junkyard, I scored some cool smaller details from one the XTs; these headrest accordions! I’ll have to section out the center section plastic and rebond it to get it to fit the Prelude bars, but I really like the look! I mock fit up just the rubber bits on one seat, and its exactly what I’m looking for! Then we’re going to have to dye the rubber and paint the plastic, and we’ll be good to go!

Name:	IMG_2538.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	9873

Name:	IMG_2537.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	9874

That’s most of it! ‘Till next time!
    Last edited by B0CKS; 02-03-2020 at 12:26 PM.

[SIGPIC]