Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Nice score on the fog lights! Does your move impact the workspace where you're doing your build? Is it still available to you? Farther away, etc?
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 06-16-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Nice score on the fog lights! Does your move impact the workspace where you're doing your build? Is it still available to you? Farther away, etc?
    Thanks Snooz! Really excited to get those restored for this build! So much nerding out! And as for the move, it doesn't really affect it much! I moved kitty corner from my old apartment, basically to bury my head in solitude and get more car stuff done, and it's been pretty effective so far! Still the same hour away from the barn, but no worries!
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

Build thread! https://www.3geez.com/forum/project-...upe-build.html
    [SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Hey, it’s been like… a month? Maybe more? Maybe less? Since I posted here last, that’s because I’ve been e̶t̶e̶r̶n̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶a̶m̶n̶e̶d̶ or working hard on shaving the engine bay, and it’s taking forever. Other projects such as restoring my Dad’s pontoon, doing summer vacation type things and furnishing my apartment has been taking up bandwidth, and I’ve been spending a lot of time waiting for packages to show up, and things to come together. I mean, I’ve spent said time in the engine bay, but it’s not going quick, and still looks like a Pollock, so I think we’re going to skip those photos for now. But we’ll start with the small stuff, then kinda crescendo into the bigger news.

Small thing number one? Picked up some foam tape, and threw it down around the HVAC system, much better than all that the grey/green dust of what had come with the car.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3988.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	10157
    Two, Been reworking the brackets that are going to be my electrical center under the dash. The ECU bracket got some new clearances for my positive firewall lead, and the Fuse box bracket is getting reworked to become home to the OEM fusebox, the standalone one (see next images), a power bus, as well as a battery kill switch. (Reason being, since I have the battery relocated in a place in the front bumper, I don’t want to have to pull off a panel whenever I want to disconnect the battery positive.) It’s still a bit of a mess, and still needs work, but it’s going to be packed with features!

Name:	Capture.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	10158
    Also, about a month and a half ago, I gave some dude in the Netherlands some cash, and surprisingly enough, I got a box for it! Scored a super clean set of JDM corners, the one’s I had just weren’t up to par, these certainly are. They’re MINT. Wish I had more car to put them on!

Name:	IMG_4124.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	10159
    But anyways, time for some meat and potatoes.
    Block is back from the shop. That’s right! That means it’s time to put this thing TOGETHER, so enjoy the montage of all the stuff of I’ve been piling up finally finding its home where it belongs! One of the best feelings!

Here’s our initial chunks from the shop, freshly bagged!

Name:	IMG_4011.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	325.3 KB 
ID:	10160
    And, thrown up on the stand, night before build time!

Name:	IMG_4022.jpg 
Size:	264.7 KB 
ID:	10161
    Freshly surfaced block:

Name:	IMG_4045.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	10162
    Heads’ on:

Name:	IMG_4046.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	10163
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Camshafts in

Name:	IMG_4048.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	10164
    Test fitting:

Name:	IMG_4051.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	10165
    And WAIT. Interruption! Check this ouuuut! A full standalone freaking RYWIRE Harness. Fuse Box, quick disconnect at the firewall, all the good stuff, literally the top of the line in terms of Honda harnesses, and it is a pleasure and honor to be able to put such a quality part on my build, saving me tons of headache and replacing it with dopamine, I can’t wait to get this all home where it should be in the car!

Name:	IMG_4103.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	581.3 KB 
ID:	10166
    So, carrying on, here’s about where it stands. Spent some time dropping on more sensors, hoses and bits, but all the large components are in place on the motor, and I am totally obsessed with how it’s turning out.

Name:	IMG_4114.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	266.3 KB 
ID:	10167

Name:	IMG_4112.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	266.9 KB 
ID:	10168

Name:	IMG_4109.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	10169
    Definitly going to flood this with more images as this block gets further, but I can't contain my excitment! Also, as mentioned a few posts prior, I’ve already got the transmission here, and all it’s a matter of it assembly and sorting out a few final systems, then it’s time to fire it! Really want to put this project on the afterburners and make some big progress!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

So exciting! Looks like you cleaned those air boxes too. They look epic! But are you really going to put it back together with no AC? l guess you can get away with that in Detroit.

It's really looking awesome.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

ooooh juicy! That engine is real nice on the eyes...hell yes!!

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

So exciting! Looks like you cleaned those air boxes too. They look epic! But are you really going to put it back together with no AC? l guess you can get away with that in Detroit.

It's really looking awesome.
    Yeah, I'm sure I'm going to have days I regret it- but the list of reasons to live without it are long enough that I don't mind letting it go. I'm packaging a ton of the electrical components where the evaporator would've gone, it cleans the bay up (I'm actually just finishing sealing the holes in the firewall for that today), and my daily driver has AC, so I can get by if I need it. And you bet! Gave them a thorough clean, wouldn't want dirty parts going back on this car! And thanks a ton Snooz, always appreciate that you keep track here!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fixedit View Post
    ooooh juicy! That engine is real nice on the eyes...hell yes!!
    It's been stellar having it come together, I've been on Cloud 9 so long I'm going to start having to pay rent, I'm elated!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Alright, not the usual time for an update, but I've got a second to type here, and I'm geeked to share! Making huge steps in getting everything together, definitely coming to some sort of crescendo!

Continuing on with the normal posting theme, here's the smaller stuff first! Here's that "Electrical Center" as just mentioned. Both fuse boxes are going to lived nestled in this position, then a kill switch and power bus to the right. The Ecu will be "under" the fusebox bracket against the firewall.

Name:	IMG_4130.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	408.9 KB 
ID:	10178
    And more content in that same area, here's what the engine bay side of that wall will show- the main Rywire bulkhead connector, and then under that- a positive bulkhead connector, leading to the starter and alternator. And yes, don't worry, that bondo pile is not final, and is getting reduced as soon as I'm done typing!

Name:	IMG_4170.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	274.7 KB 
ID:	10179
    Then, back to what we've all been waiting for, the B series assembly! Got to put in a few hours over the past few nights, and we're making good progress! Here's the last image of it on the stand, there's a few things to still button up, but wanted to get onto bigger things and then fill in the final gaps.

Name:	IMG_4136.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	10180
    Once it was set on the earth, got the new clutch, flywheel, bearings, pressure plate, bolts and throw out bearing all tidied up (didn't want to scuff that fresh new paint!)

Name:	IMG_4147.jpg 
Size:	306.1 KB 
ID:	10181
    And brought it together! Got to throw on a few final goodies like the AEM Fuel rail, a select few final powdercoated brackets, lots of little hose clamp goodness, starter and shaft! Looks fresh from the factory floor, too geeked to have this coming together! I'm tempted to bust out the nice camera for a few shots tonight! So excited to have this all in one piece, everything feels great, and the small stack of things I'm missing are all on order and coming soon. There's a few odd bolts, hoses, a some of those valve cover bolt plugs a belt that need to get here, then we'll load it up with oil and hammer it out! Big push!

Name:	IMG_4165.jpg 
Size:	289.1 KB 
ID:	10182

Name:	IMG_4166.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	312.8 KB 
ID:	10183

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Ack! I can't wait!!!
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Ack! I can't wait!!!
    Me neither!!! I've "unfortunately" got some vacation plans to keep my word these next couple weeks and a handful of other projects to take care of, but we're still in for the big push! So PUMPED.

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Alright, time to cook up another batch! Things are in just a bit of lull with being out either around the office or doing some and R&D! Hopefully I’ll be around to keep putting in my hours!

So to crack this off, here’s some glorified photos of the engine block! Busted out the nice camera for a few shots, and as always, I love what that shutter sees! Just good stuff. So there goes half of the image uploading storage I have on this site, lmao

Name:	0B8BACF3-984E-4E26-8F81-D4C1017FB163.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	10188

Name:	80A3A277-D40D-4AC3-A72E-A86F9756082A.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	10189

Name:	78539BD1-E2DC-4A93-BE62-4D8351F06768.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	10190

Name:	IMG_2767 copy.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	10193
    Then let’s move to the engine bay! I made more “progress” by pulling the rear subframe last night, making this car the ultimate in project status, but allowing me to get to the final few holes that have been protected by their nearness to other parts.

Name:	IMG_4225.jpg 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	10191

Name:	IMG_4238.jpg 
Size:	364.3 KB 
ID:	10192
    And, while I was poking away in one of the corners, I got to discover yet another thing that beckons, time, attention, and money- more rust! I’ve been grateful that this car has been so solid (considering it was a 400 dollar Honda!) but there’s always caveats, and so this has to be dealt with, as with anything!

Name:	IMG_4231.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	258.3 KB 
ID:	10194

Name:	IMG_4233.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	278.6 KB 
ID:	10195
    But DARN.

PS- rust photos are sideways, the drivers side forward frame hitting the firewall, right where that fuel line pops up, under the brake booster!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

But let’s avoid that concerning issue, here’s what I’m here for! Got some nice big boxes in the airflow category to amend the currently single Magnaflow High Flow Cat that is my intake and exhaust system, the big filter and the back end muffler!

Name:	IMG_4288.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	312.1 KB 
ID:	10196

Name:	IMG_4291.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	10197
    Went with a D2 racing CAI, or, considering my bay is shaved… HAI. Did a lot of back and fourth in my head about this, really didn’t want to do the basic thing of going with one of these common cone filters, and liked the idea of doing a stock box, but with the bay shave, all the natural air inlets were sealed, which limited my options. So here we go, bit of a settle, but it’s still a quality product, and fits well!

Name:	IMG_4289.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	287.1 KB 
ID:	10198
    Then as for a muffler, going with an OBX-R 2.5” Universal Honda Muffler. Supposedly it’s fairly deep (for a 4 banger) but that will also weigh on the Vibrant Resonator I’m looking at. Really wanted twin tips, 2.5” exhaust, and from a decent name. This checked enough boxes, and also landed in a good price point. It’s definitely larger (and inherently, probably more ricey) than I expected, but it’s growing on me pretty quick. I mean, it’s just so shiny!

Name:	IMG_4294.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	255.4 KB 
ID:	10199

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Eek. That rust is in a tough spot. How you gonna handle it?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Eek. That rust is in a tough spot. How you gonna handle it?
    It'll be dealing with rust. I'm going to leave it open and as is for now and get the engine and car together first, then once it's back to a body in white I think I'll strike! I've got an air powered spot sandblaster (just an open air gun) I can use to hit the well, then I'll cut out what's left around the hole. I've still got my spare coupe, and if it amazingly doesn't have rust there, I'll be able to trim out that piece and use it as the weld in patch panel. Hit it with something to prevent rust, then refill it with seam sealer. Maybe. If anything goes according to plan lmao

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Hey! It’s Monday, time for the regularly scheduled post, because I’m kinda on time for once!

Took a great vacation to the upper halves of Michigan this week, and will be doing the same thing again part of this week and (and weekend) so I’m not sure how much I’ll be getting done then, but we’ll see! I was able to sweep into the car this weekend and wrangle the tasks at hand at moving the car forward, and they’re going well! Definitely not hitting the Running-by-end-of-July-goal, but the horizon hasn’t vanished, so I’m good with still making the progress that I’m making. The big thing this week was that I finally cashed in my lasercut parts! Got some pretty cool Stainless Steel parts! I recut my upper radiator bracket, as the one I hand built just didn’t match up with lasercut quality. Still got a little bit of bending to hone it in with, but looks good for now! Might powdercoat it, might not.

Name:	IMG_4415.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	10214
    Then, got another cool big chunk, my ECU Kickpanel! This photo is taken down in the passenger side wheel well. This panel will mount the ECU on the backside of it and be covered with carpet so that the computer is protected from stomping and general debris brought in with being in a footwell. You can see the amount of clearance from the firewall post mount, and I’ve also left clearance for the USB hookup for the Hondata I’m hoping to obtain at some point! Pretty functional.

Name:	IMG_4421.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	245.1 KB 
ID:	10215
    Then, the big chunk, the main electrical junction. I’m packaging three fuse boxes in there, 1)The factory fusebox for body electrical systems 2) The Engine Fusebox for… well the engine. Then 3) A smaller power bus for my accessories, so air ride, the amp, heated seats, and a powerstrip! Then the other added feature is main battery kill switch. I was worried about its packaging around the blower motor, but seems to be all good! The main 4awg lines are built and I’m happy with them, still gotta run the smaller stuff, and wire the engine in! It was some work to shape up and spot weld it well, but it’s good enough for the girls we run with!

Name:	IMG_4419.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	349.0 KB 
ID:	10217

Name:	IMG_4417.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	385.6 KB 
ID:	10216
    Then, took on the final boss of the bay shave, the torque arm center mount. It was an unprofessional mess to get off, but hey, it’s off! I’ve been of two minds on it, but it was a big, unused shape dead center of the engine bay, and also a pretty nasty crimp on the brake lines and the B-series mount. So, I figured it had to go. I’ll be lasercutting a replacement HVAC coolant valve mount after some cardboard aided design, but that’s all I need from it!

Name:	IMG_4426.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	563.8 KB 
ID:	10218
    So here’s what it looks like after etching primer over a bunch of welding and grinding, I’m still super nervous about welding on the firewall after lighting my car on fire once. Don’t want to do it again!

Name:	IMG_4431.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	255.7 KB 
ID:	10219
    Sooooo, yup! That’s currently covered in cured bondo to fix up my grinding marks, then there’s a few more spots to fill in, then it’s time to give an engine a home!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Great work.

Thanks for posting on the website too.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    Great work.

Thanks for posting on the website too.
    Hey thanks a ton for following! I really appreciate these forums, way tighter knit bunch (and better info) than the Facebook page.

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Yay for more progress!
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Thanks Snooz! Here’s a couple good sized steps for the build!

I know it’s been a couple weeks, but I’ve been keeping at it trying to make progress! It’s just been an hour here, an hour there, but the big stuff is all finally coming together!

But let’s start on a smaller scale! Like 3/8’s of an inch or smaller. The fuel lines for the A20 run from the driver’s side to the passenger side, and the B-series runs opposite. So after studying both, I found that the fuel lines in my parts car were better (the main car had some rusty on the main line, not good!) so I cut those out and will be using them as extensions of the fuel lines I’m swapping in. I’m also going full AN fitting from the firewall forward, so that’s another little adventure I need to sort!

Name:	IMG_4440.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	344.1 KB 
ID:	10230
    Then, here’s something I’m personally really excited for- I’m not going with an aftermarket wheel! I figured out how make a quick release OEM wheel fit (specifically a 1987 Carb’d Prelude wheel)! I know I’ve touched on this before, but I just pulled the steering column out of my parts car, and chopped off the very end of the spline and threads.

Name:	IMG_4483.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	400.0 KB 
ID:	10231
    So I’ve already got a design made that bolts onto the removable part of the quick release, and then I’ll weld that spline onto the plate, then bolt the wheel to that plate, and BOOM! Sorted. Super nerdy stuff.

Name:	IMG_4485.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	10232
    And, made a pretty large purchase and bought a P28 ECU chipped with a Hondata S300 V1, which pretty much completes the bulk of the electronic brains of the car, and gives me reasonable tuning ability, which is pretty killer! I think I’ll powdercoat the ECU covers just for fun.

Name:	IMG_4504.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	351.5 KB 
ID:	10233
    But let’s go onto the bodywork, for the most part, the bay shave is COMPLETE. I unfortunately found a matching rust pocket in the other corner of the engine bay, so that now has to be dealt with- I’m bummed, but I’m trying to count my blessings and be glad I found it now, before the car had a fresh coat of paint over it!

Name:	IMG_4510.jpg 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	10234
    That concludes bodywork! I laid down a quick coat of etching primer to cover all the bare metal in the engine bay since I have no idea how many weeks this will take to get to the bodyshop for color. Started bolting stuff up, and drilling the final holes for any wiring and lines I missed. Stuff like the hood prop cable needed a fresh hole since it originally come through the side of the firewall that has since been filled! But now it sits much higher in a nice tucked away corner!

Name:	IMG_4529.jpg 
Size:	370.3 KB 
ID:	10235
    So if the bodywork is done… what’s next? Well that’s easy, finish off the few final things that the Type R motor needs and Bring it all together!! I was pretty well prepared, and had most of the big chunks that I needed on hand. So here it is being bottom loaded, which I believe is the best way to get a B-Series into an Accord. And this isn’t a “flex” but holy cow the lift was a useful tool in this process. Pro tip, when mounting the motor, put it on a caster so you can rotate it around the engine bay, lower the car around it as much as necessary, then load the rear T mount in first but pulling the motor forward, then once you wrestle that into place, then do the passenger side trans bracket, then lastly, the driver’s side motor mount. We tried every other way and had no luck lmao

Name:	IMG_4575.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	294.8 KB 
ID:	10236
    And so, last night’s goal was to get all the big chunks packaged, and we were able to! I have go back through and torque EVERYTHING, but that’s fine! Just seeing the car as a cohesive unit was a big deal! Plus, with the exception of cables, a few hoses, the brake booster, wiper motor, and a power steering setup, the engine bay is loaded! Nothing left in the passenger side frame rail area, not a ton on the firewall, so happy with how far this has come!

Name:	IMG_4581.jpg 
Size:	290.4 KB 
ID:	10237
    Now we’re just left with details, the day of heavy lifting is CHECKED OFF!!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Great progress. l don't get the quick release, but l know it will be cool.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

I've got a good batch of stuff to lasercut building up, so I'll be sure to just show it off soon Snooz! It should be kinda sweet!

I know it’s been a minute, but there’s been a ton of little boxes checked off! Let’s start with the project I was really dreading, the fuel lines! I had to pull the lines out of both cars, which meant bringing the B-Cord out of it’s outdoor nook for a little and tearing even more stuff apart on that poor car!

Name:	IMG_4655.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	500.1 KB 
ID:	10256
    So anyways, I cut up one set of lines and used the other set as a map of how to bend the new ones. The Return line wasn’t tough in all that it needed was a chop and flare (the end with the hose and AN fitting on it in the picture) but the main line was extended to come out of the original return line position. They’re both now fitted in car and tightened to place! WOO. It wasn’t a task I was looking forward to, but I it was pretty rewarding to get done!

Name:	IMG_4686.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	268.6 KB 
ID:	10257
    Then, while the B-Cord was in the bay, it got some holes punched in it! With my new taller radiator, the OG hood prop doesn’t work. (Which lead me to try and sort out hood struts a long time back, with no avail), and eventually decided to rebend an EF hood prop (fits really well TBH) and do some test fitting to see where or if this would work with our Accord hoods. In short, fits, there’s a place for it to land, but it’ll need reinforcement. No problem, just a simple template, some lasercutting, and then it should be properly reinforced to handle that position! Win!

Name:	IMG_4674.jpg 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	10258
    And, in minor tasks that take time, here’s one. New washer fluid tank from the junkyard, because this is what good car guys do.

Name:	IMG_4606.jpg 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	10259
    Oh! I didn’t mention it, but the fuel lines in the fire wall need special locating washers to fit them in the holes in the firewall, so ten minutes of design and a 3D printed PETG part, and done! Those little H braces behind them are for routing the air ride lines through seam welds in the wheel well. I trimmed out a little gap for each, then, I’ll add some some sealant and glue them in, and then the air lines are safe from vibration and puncture!

Name:	IMG_4667.jpg 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	10260
    Then, next stuff, once the fuel lines were in, was getting some of the first chunks of the “interior” back in. Pedals, brake booster, clutch line, steering column all had to find homes. And, with those in, I’m getting my first feelings for what needs to be dialed in, the shift linkage feels super loose, so I might go and swap in aluminum “bushings” to try and lock that up, and the clutch feels CRAZY heavy, just like the Civic did when I first swapped it. Any ideas???

Name:	IMG_4695.jpg 
Size:	297.2 KB 
ID:	10261
    So, there’s still a decent amount of homework that needs to be done in the engine bay, but things are getting crossed off, so I’m pretty geeked! Also gotta add a custom throttle cable to the list of things to design and lasercut with this Prelude cable. So much to do!

Name:	IMG_4694.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	273.3 KB 
ID:	10262
    But yeah! That’s it for now. I spent this weekend on a huge, ultimately useless 950 mile trip to go check out another 3Gee Coupe that was for sale, I was hoping to score it for things I’d really been trying to find, but it just wasn’t worth the hassle. Pretty bummed. Would’ve loved to put the time, gas money, and labor into this ride, but that’s sometimes just how it goes! I’ll try and make up for it later!!

Name:	IMG_4663.jpg 
Size:	465.3 KB 
ID:	10263

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Late on updates? Well that’s just par for the course here! Shoulda’ typed this all up a few days ago, whoops!

Hope everyone had a good labor day weekend, I somehow found myself alone with a barn, list of chores, and a full weekend. I’m absolutely in the weeds with the car, so don’t expect any breathtaking updates in the photos! But I’m getting a lot done, just the millions of small things you wouldn’t show on camera if this was somehow the most boring build channel.

Here’s what I got that I can recall. Big thing, rebuilt the shift linkage. It was feeling pretty sloppy- turns out the lower dust cover/sealing bushing had disintegrated and fallen out, and yet again, I somehow have another part sitting just across the way in my parts car. Things I’d never guess. I tore it down, gave it a good cleaning, swapped in all the bushings and re-lubed it, and it feels much better. Still a little bit of slop, but I can sort it out once the car is body in white. So that’s one chore checked off.

Only real change that’s noticeable on the exterior is that the car has eyeballs again! Got the headlight bucket retaining brackets powdercoated in zinc primer (and the vertical core support), so those can be sanded and painted, and installed. Feels good! I’m tempted to get all the plastic and sheetmetal together just to make them look less bare!

Name:	IMG_4981.jpg 
Size:	267.6 KB 
ID:	10279
    Also sorted out a bunch of little wiring projects, the fan on/off and temp switch both had to be rewired to my silly brain doing things wrong, so now that’s checked off. Got one of several engine ground straps made (ran out of 8awg!), built a positive and negative line for the OEM fusebox, crimped some connectors onto my antenna signal lead for the radio since that was all one line beforehand. I dunno, STUFF. Just making a list and crossing things off.

This won’t make any sense to anyone without photos, but I also redesigned my air line seam pass-through brackets, 3D printed those and siliconed in, and they do a great job protecting my air lines from any potential damage of living in a wheel well. Another thing on the 3D printed front was these AN fitting… uh caskets? So feeding the hose into my AN fittings was (and is continuing to be) and huge struggle, the outer braided hose loves to flare and refuse to feed into the female part of my AN fittings. So, these little containers hold the AN fitting in and have a long, acute angle of a slope that guides and crimps the hose into place, making feeding these hoses in a doable task, as opposed to grating process. It was enough for my fuel lines, but for some reason my 16AN radiator hoses are putting up a huge fight. So it’s still on the list of things to be sorted. (and, editors note, but the caskets are printed in PETG and are currently the nicest prints I’ve gotten out of that material, which is great!)

Name:	IMG_4963.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	10280

Name:	IMG_4964.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	10281

Name:	IMG_4966.jpg 
Size:	418.0 KB 
ID:	10282
    More things that happened? Uhhhhh, cleaned out a bit of the interior, mounted my radiator fan, found out that when my Starion shift boot actually has a shifter in it, it acts a little short and really wants to shift the center console, so there’s another thing that had to be sorted, but it’s good now, and isn’t too strained. Also got around to drilling and riv-nutting in my ECU bracket, which turns out to be fitting pretty nicely and actually looks decent! Also finally got around to sealing in my valve cover gasket, I had put that off for no particular reason and now it’s done! STILL GOTTA DO SPARK PLUGS. Don’t let me forget! And more stuff, found a location for my drivers side horn (had to delete the factory bracket to fit the battery tray) and bolted that in, which was something I also just hadn’t done. Man I dunno. Just doing stuff.

I also dropped the dash in place. Didn’t take any pictures. Ope.

Name:	IMG_4985.jpg 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	10283
    But here’s something super cool! I know I’ve dropped their names before (and am currently excitedly waiting for parts from them, i.e. throttle cable brackets, tow hooks for the traction bar, quick release adapter) but SendCutSend is my go to lasercutting service that I love and adore, and I humbly submitted this car in a small contest/giveaway they were running, to showcase the abilities and projects their parts land in, and I was amazed to find out that I am the very lucky winner of a 100 dollars worth of free parts!!!!! So, SendCutSend, if you are reading this, I promise I’ll be burning through that with ease, and happily continuing to do my best to bring the recognition you deserve!

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	34 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	10286
    Well I sure typed a lot. Whoops.
    Last edited by B0CKS; 09-09-2020 at 09:38 PM.

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Got a handful of things done, these next few images aren’t “necessary” for getting the car started, but I just got this thing in the mail, and it had my attention. In short, I finally got my inverter to energize the power strip for the center console, and got to figure out how to mount it. It packs in like a little jet pack at the front of the console and lays down on the carpet, and under that dash/steering column support brace. The bracket uses two of the OEM mounting holes at the back of the cupholder support, then I had to spot weld a little strip in place to make the whole thing reinforced (which meant sandblasting and powdercoating the whole cupholder brace, woo) and stop it from vibrating.

Name:	IMG_5039.jpg 
Size:	394.7 KB 
ID:	10293
    The whole unit definitely adds some weight to the console, and I have to manually switch it on and off (since it’s currently hooked up to a direct power source as opposed to switched power) but all feels to work well, and fits nice! I think it’s a neat feature!

Name:	IMG_5042.jpg 
Size:	450.7 KB 
ID:	10294
    These images will be a little pedantic, but I also got to fitting most of the dash up, and do a big fitment check on my main electrical panels. In this image, you can see how the lower ECU panel fits up, and how far it lives back in the passenger side footwell. Looks nice and tucked!

Name:	IMG_5016.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	10295
    Then, looking up from under the dash, here’s how accessible the upper panel is. It’s pretty nice and out in the open, but hides under the dash well!

Name:	IMG_5034.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	255.7 KB 
ID:	10296
    With the footwell losing some room to the ECU panel, the carpet runs a bit higher up onto the main electrical panel, I may trim it out, tbd, it fits well now, and doesn’t appear to want to run around much.

Name:	IMG_5032.jpg 
Size:	331.2 KB 
ID:	10297
    And, final check of packing the fire extinguisher over the area most-voted-to-catch-on-fire, and impressively, it all fits! Score!!

Name:	IMG_5050.jpg 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	10298
    Also, I got to package up most of the driver-centric side of the interior. I’m leaving out all the HVAC tubes for simplicity sake, since this build is purely a mechanical function test to get unknowns test fit and sorted. But seeing the car with a complete gauge cluster and steering wheel just gets me going. I’m excited to keep getting closer!

Name:	IMG_5048.jpg 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	10299
    I also got another batch of lasercut parts in, but that may wait till next update, since that’s tonight’s project! Spoiler alert, one of the chunks is a new throttle cable bracket, and that’ll be the last pedal sorted out! I’m geeked to have all three! Till next time!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Okay, super geeked about this. I've got some other little updates on the car, but this comes first!
    Got a super sweet package from SendCutSend, one of them is the final piece for my OEM quick release setup!

Name:	IMG_5059.jpg 
Size:	321.7 KB 
ID:	10351
    So, it’s pretty simple, the upper right of this image bolts to the steering column, then the bottom right is the removable part of the quick release, it uses the spline I cut off and mounts to the back of the wheel.

Name:	IMG_5061.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	457.8 KB 
ID:	10352
    As such:

Name:	IMG_5062.jpg 
Size:	456.3 KB 
ID:	10353
    Then, putting them both together and putting them in the car here. You can see the lasercut adapter is that sliver of silver there. I’ll be powdercoating it black once I get the spline welded to the adapter. I still have to sort out how I’m going to get the horn to work, but I’ve got an idea or two! The release itself feels great, and I've actually found a pretty comfortable seating position even with the wheel kicked all the way back like that. (I give up, I have no idea why 3geez wants to flip my images around, but it likes to- I got nothing lmao )

Name:	IMG_5068.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	10354
    And a few other small things came in that shipment, as mentioned in overhead, I got my throttle cable bracket(s)! The reason for there being four in that package is that I had a few different measurements I wanted to play with, and then went with the best fitting one, powdercoated it, and got it in place! There’s unfortunately just a little play in the pedal at the top end, I can dial it back, but then it hits the WOT point too early. I’ll think of a fix eventually, but in the meantime, that’s my third pedal sorted! Sooooo geeked to have all three pedals being functional though! On a side note, turns out the right rear caliper had been overcompressed when I bled the brakes, so I gave that a quick tear down, and now the car rolls again! (I was worried there might have been something wrong with the trans wanting to stay in gear, but! It was just a caliper. Crisis diverted.) So I can now move it around the barn again. Glad it wasn’t something serious.

Name:	IMG_5128.jpg 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	10355
    Coming back with a general overview here, I hit the point in the night where I was still in the barn, but ran out of productivity juice, so I just started bolting on parts I know I’ll have to take off in like a week. Those being the headlight trim and panels, and JDM corners! They look so good, I really wish I was putting everything together for the final time, but it feels good getting all my ducks in a row.

Name:	IMG_5073.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	271.4 KB 
ID:	10356
    So that’s most of it! There’s a long list of small stuff that got done, doors and trunk now have latches, which means they actually CLOSE. Which really helps if feel like a car. Driver’s side seatbelt is in- which feels cool, I found, cleaned, and wrapped a transmission reverse switch harness (I had an older one hooked up to the trans with a generic male and female connector, and the Rywire harness uses a newer unique connector, and it turns out I the correct harness just sitting around from all my transmission gathering a few years back. Score!) And, it wasn’t necessary, but I’ve been looking into re-sealing my window edge trim- every chunk I have has this crappy seal that’s been chipping up and crumbling, and I think I’ve found a 3M seal replacement, which may work well, it’ll need to be carefully applied, but looks like it’ll do the trick.

I’m out this weekend, and then flying to California next weekend to hopefully score a few parts, so I doubt I’ll have any updates for some time. Should be neat though! Till next time!
    Last edited by B0CKS; 09-25-2020 at 10:31 AM.

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Are you going to H2O when you finish?
    Dr_Snooz