Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Civic Type R Crate Engine

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Civic Type R Crate Engine

The smog question is the hard part. Here in Cali, we have it the worst because our smog laws are so unenlightened. I mean, it's illegal to swap out your old failing carb for a new self-learning EFI system from Holley or MSD, even though you'd end up with a much cleaner car when you were done. It makes no sense.

Anyway, it's legal for me to swap an engine from a newer car into my old car. Legally, I can put a Type R engine into my 3g. Not the crate engine, mind you, but the street legal factory one. I just have to use all the stock emissions stuff that came with it originally: manifolds, EGR, cat, and that belligerent ECU with all its yaw sensors and weird stuff. You have a one-time inspection where JC students crawl all over it, certify it, then all your future smog tests are done as the donor car. I'm interested to see just what all is required to make that factory ECU work.

I keep dripping on my Assemblyman asking him to extend the smog exemption to OBD0 and 1 cars. He seems receptive, but you know, politicians. At any rate, if I can get my 3g smog exempt, that makes it all perfect. It's a long shot though.

Again, still do-able.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

oh the joys of living in a state with no vehicle inspections.
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '85 lude

After 25yo here it is safety only inspection.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Don't gloat. If history is any indication, Cali's madness will be coming to your state soon.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

They've tried it here a few times actually. Always a major backlash against. We do have a wheel tax so maybe that makes up for it =P

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

It's proof of my point. They're already trying. Don't worry though, they'll ramrod it through in some special midnight session on New Year's Eve with just enough banker-bribed senators to make a quorum. A few callers to talk radio will be screaming bloody murder, but the news will ignore it or say, well, it's only a limited mandate so stop complaining. Then it will grow from there into the ugly, corrupt bureaucracy that is strangling Cali.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

They tried that too... sneaking it in through some random bill, didn't work. Tennessee residents are VERY adamant about it.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

I already have a b swap in my car. It gave it life in the performance part. Now 7 years later it needs more power. I am going to install a turbo kit and aim for 400hp in a 3gee. My top speed so far has been 131mph but I could of gone more if I would of had a longer road and didnt want to jail.lol

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Hey Messy, what's your HP right now? Are you having any issues with too much HP, like torque steer, breaking parts, etc? Would you expect a CTR swap to cause any issues like that?
    Dr_Snooz

LX User

Civic Type R Crate Engine

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Hey Messy, what's your HP right now? Are you having any issues with too much HP, like torque steer, breaking parts, etc? Would you expect a CTR swap to cause any issues like that?
    On his bio it says 175whp and 132tq, tuned by “Redzone”, but idk how current that info is

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I test drove a 2018 Civic Si last week. It was nice. The new cars are all so smooth and quiet now. You barely hear the engine, even when you're standing in front of it. When I opened the hood, it only made a ticking sound, like a teletype machine or something. It was bizarre. I was keenly aware of all the rattles and squeaks in my 3g afterward. All the Civics and Accords I looked at on the lot were 1.5L with turbos. The Si puts out 200hp and gets 38 MPG. Damn.

It stuck real well around the cloverleaf on-ramp and had plenty of gitup. It wasn't anything I would throw around in traffic (which is what I love so much about my 3g), but it was a solid performer. I didn't notice any turbo lag, but I haven't driven many turbos. It had an annoying habit of holding the revs too high for too long after I'd released the gas pedal, so there was a chronic rev mismatch when I shifted quickly. Very annoying. You could baby the engine and it felt fairly sluggish, but if you stepped the pedal harder, it opened up and made nice power. Like all Hondas, they're fairly sedate until you find that spot where they open up and pull hard. It's nice to know that some things don't change.

I know I talk a lot of trash about new cars, but there are some things I REALLY like about them: 38 MPG, direct injection, i-VTEC, balance shafts, timing chains, how they're so quiet, and so on. This car had all that. But it had all the stuff I really hate too. For instance, it's ugly. Godawful ugly. Like something Optimus Prime threw up. It has an annoying satnav screen which had eaten a number of buttons that should be on the dash, like the fan speed controller. The salesman had to turn it off for me. They get all upset that people crash while fumbling with their phones. What about the people who crash fumbling with these stupid satnavs? There used to be something called human factors engineering that insisted things should be easy to use and accommodate themselves to how humans work. Why are we always being forced to accommodate the machines now? It's a conspiracy. We can't have flying cars and robot nannies, but we can have ugly cars full of irritating distractions. It had heated seats (something useless and sure to break), air bags (explosives aimed at my face), backup camera (just make the windows bigger please), etc. This is a Civic for God's sake. Backup cameras are for octogenarian blue-hairs fresh out of neck surgery, driving cars much bigger than they should.

The two things that struck me the most were paradoxical. This is at the same time both a very BIG car, and a very SMALL car. Parked next to it, it dwarfs my 3g. It's giant. Yet when I get inside, the doors are uncomfortably close. The console comes halfway up my upper arm and there is a very narrow tunnel for me to thread my legs into. I had to cock my arm at a funny angle to reach the shifter and my elbow almost hit the seatback when I changed gears. Why don't they just leave all the electronic crap out and give me some room? It was like being in a coffin. God help me if I'm in the wrong spot when the airbags explode. I'll be finished for sure. If I'm in a wreck, there's nowhere to go but to get squished and I'm super skinny.

I have zero interest in owning something like it. I just wanted to try out the trans to see if 5th is really as difficult to shift into as I'd thought. It isn't. Sixth is kinda hard to find, but no more so than 5th is in my car. The dealership wouldn't let me drive a Type R without promising them a kidney, so I drove the next best thing. Time is on my side. In a couple years, they'll beg me to drive one.

Anyway, I'll be curious if the Type R has that whole rev mismatch thing happening. That would seriously blight the joy of putting it into a 3g. Maybe there's some way to hack it.
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 11-23-2018 at 11:37 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    People think nothing of spending $20k+ for a car, but then squeak and honk if their old car needs $2k in repairs. I wonder at that logic. I'd rather spend $20k on an old car that I really love and have it awesome when I'm done. I figure that the longer I keep the old car running, the longer I can avoid dealing with a new car. I can't stand the new cars. I can't see out of them. They blink and beep and decide when I can change lanes or when I should be braking. They're ponderous and slow and hard to thread through traffic. They have spy boxes and Bluetooth and a bunch of crap to go haywire.

No thanks. I'll drop coin on my old cars.
    Wise words, I could have done that with several cars I've had and have awesome ones but I've got lazy in my old age lol no I just don't have the place or space to work on them even though I'm able to do my own work on just about any area.