Thread: Never should have let my 1988 go....new member.

DX User
    Vehicle
    2002 Honda Accord

Never should have let my 1988 go....new member.

My parents demanded I sell my 1988 Accord DX and I still regret giving in! I have found myself looking for another one even though I continue to keep my 2002 Accord going.

So here I am to chat with you folks and maybe, maybe, buy another 86 to 89!

When I first saw the 1988 DX I thought "crap, she's a sedan!" but after driving her and enjoying that 5 speed manual, I was instantly in love! She had seen rough times with previous owner(s) as she had cigarette burn holes in the rear seat, the cruise control, tape deck, and AC worked only when those wanted to, but I loved that car. I took her everywhere and did everything I needed to do in her.

I should have gotten those minor things fixed, hired a fabricator to fix that sagging front bumper, and kept her going all this time!

If I find another at the right price....

I am 43 years old, single (although dating a wonderful GF), and I miss my old car.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '85 lude

Re: Never should have let my 1988 go....new member.

I turned 40 this year and finally got around to graduating college for a career change. For my midlife crisis i found a 62k mile 86 Prelude to get back what i had with my first car.

(and on top of that my new career is IT and my first job is user support at a school district.... and assigned to a high school)

So if you can find one, grab it. Although at this age I would recommend a fuel injected, but I am biased against carbs. Search Craigslist nationwide. I flew to Connecticut to get mine after 3 months of looking.
    Last edited by night; 09-02-2018 at 02:35 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    2002 Honda Accord

Flew to CT? I have been thinking about how I'd get to where a car might be: if a few states away, rental car. If too far, fly.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Welcome! Best of luck with your search.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1983 Accord LX hatch carb'd; 1986 Accord LX-i hatch

The last thing I will ever sell is my 3g. Its mostly that weekend car, needs a few things here and there but I would never get rid of mine no matter how bad someone tells me I should

Check craigslist. I do it all the time just for kicks. But your best bet would be the West Coast. States like Washington, Oregon, Cali. Warm states. There are few hatches listed currently. Carbed or fuel injected shouldn't matter. Good luck!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord DX

My first Honda. 89' Accord DX sedan, Auto. 48,000 current original miles from my friends grandma. Bought locally new in 1989, always garaged. Washed every week. Parked in garage for 3 years, she's 90 stopped driving. Only cruise & tilt wheel. $12,100 new. A joy to drive, rides better that my new Cadillac's. My friends think I'm nuts for loving to drive it all the time! A GREAT engineered car!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	9231

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

LOL. Everyone looks at me strange too because I love mine so much. Welcome!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 LXi

I have my 86 LXi for 25 years. As I'm getting older (over the hill) and have started our own business, my wife has been saying this "How much longer you are going to keep this car? We don't have time to maintain it."

Yes, I just put it inside the garage for 10 days and changed out the head gasket. I had rustoleum job on it so it looks presentable. Its mostly my weekend car (my wife and I run our business together so we usually drive the Lexus) and the car does show signs of aging. I have hard times thinking I would let it go. Mostly is not knowing if there will be a new owner (wife did threaten about junk yard and I don't think they will even take car this old). Even if there is a new owner, is that guy love the car as much as I do ? Usually I stop thinking as I get to that point.

Other than the big jobs, routine maintenance is ok for me. I don't have a lift so I work under the car (I hate it). I can tell I had no problems 25 years ago working under the car. Now its getting a little too physical for me. Sometimes, I feel head pressure when I am under the car facing up. That's not a good feeling....

Funny is my 20 years old said to me the other day he wants the Accord if I can pass it on to him. But with his technical knowledge about cars, I'm sure I will be the one continue working on it LOL.

No, I don't want to let my car go. If I do have to (from wife's pressure), it will be to somebody in this forum/group who loves this car as much as I do........
    Last edited by AC439; 12-04-2018 at 03:54 AM.

im obd1 now thanks a lot brandon pattersom

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by rushell View Post
    im obd1 now thanks a lot brandon pattersom
    No problem I hope everything went smoothly

it went good it didnt take that long your video was very helpful thanks a lot i will check for the parts u need

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by rushell View Post
    it went good it didnt take that long your video was very helpful thanks a lot i will check for the parts u need
    Cool no rush

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

When I met my wife, I explained that my obsession with this car is because It'll never wake up one day and tell me it doesn't love me. She's hinted once or twice about selling it, and I have to remind her that you can't sell humans on craigslist so shes stuck with me, and the Honda.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"