Thread: Just bought a 87 LXi hatch

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 LXi

Just bought a 87 LXi hatch

Apparently i am trying to relive my highschool glory days because i went and bought a 88 hatch last week. i just want to have some fun with it while i mod it.
    It has somewhat high mileage on the chassis. 282k to be exact. but the previous owner says it had the engine and transmission rebuilt three years ago. it was used as a commuter car for someone who averaged 100 miles per day with it. other than a cracked driver door panel, the interior is in amazing shape. there is a small dent on the hood as well as the top of the drivers fender, but otherwise it looks amazing for its age. i still have to smog it before i can register it, but it drove really nice on my trip back home from buying which was about 30 miles. it appears to have new kyb shocks all around and drives really smooth.

The first photo is from the day i bought it. Paisa chrome wheels look funky and gotta go.

second is test fitting some 13" snowflakes i bought recently. tires are 13" azenis for my volvo. just threw em on to give me an idea. i ordered some federal ss595s for them 185/60/13. hopefully they will show up by next monday.

third photo was a cool sunset after work that i thought made the car look good.

fourth is test fitting a 90-91 mugen lip i bought. i thought i read somewhere that it was a perfect fit.however the curve on the sides is a little different and its about an inch too long on each side. should be easily fixed, but just thought id note that it may fit the 88-89 bumper better than the 86-87.

last photo was from the other day after i dropped the front end. it ended up settling about another inch lower than you see in the photo. pretty mean rake to it, which i like, but i will be lowering the back sometime this week when i have a little more time. after lowering it, the chrome wheels started to grow on me. they dont look half bad.

anyways thanks for checking out my new ride, im sure ill be asking a lot of questions here in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	accord1.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	9248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheels test.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	9249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunset.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	9250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mugen lip.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	9251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front lowered.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	9252  

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Re: Just bought a 87 LXi hatch

Dang! For edging close to 300k, that's a clean hatch! I like what you're doing with it! The lip does negates the "underbite" of the early style bumper, and I hadn't heard that a 4th gen lip was usable, I'd love to see how you get that to work!

Can't wait to see what's in store for this, it sounds like its already off to a strong start!
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

Build thread! https://www.3geez.com/forum/project-...upe-build.html
    [SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Haru View Post
    Apparently i am trying to relive my highschool glory days
    Well at least you didn't get a 3rd gen Camaro....

Your car is looking good! Welcome!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Beautiful model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

Looks good welcome

Vehicle
    1983 Accord LX hatch carb'd; 1986 Accord LX-i hatch

Welcome! That is clean AF for a 300k hatch! Lookin' good. That third photo looks awesome! A good thing about a commuter car is that it isn't stale. True, it has wear and tear but rubber hoses and gaskets deteriorate even when a car just sits around not being driven. How many miles since the engine and trans rebuild?

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 LXi

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome and compliments on the ride. i want to clean it up and make it look cool without going too crazy. i have quite a few projects and i want this one to be the reliable one that i can enjoy while the other ones are down.
    as far as i can tell the guy i bought it from put about 30k miles on it. He bought it from the original owner who had the engine rebuilt. so i really have no idea what kind of mileage it has, but it felt really peppy and smooth the night i brought it home. i havent driven it since because it needs smog certification and it failed with the previous owner. he didnt want to throw any money at it, so he sold it. ive been a bit busy at work, so i havent spent much time tinkering with it. but it looks like it was well maintained and recently tuned up. im going to check the timing to make sure its correct and run a fuel system treatment on it and oil change before i retest. it passes everything with flying colors at the 15mph test, but fails everything at 25mph. idk, it might need a new catalytic converter. well see. gonna check all the simple stuff first.

anyway. i had a little free time the other day and got to mess around with some fog lights on it. the lip is just hanging on with one screw in the middle right now to get an idea of how it will look. i havent had a chance to mount it yet, but it looks like it fits decently with minor modding.
    i found some oldschool foglights on ebay that look theyve been sitting on a shelf at autozone since 1993. still sealed in the og packaging for 20 bucks!
    i like the way they look from the front and 3/4 view. but they look so stupid when you look at em from the side. so im either going to pop out the plastic panels on the bumper and mount them inside the holes or cut out part of the grill and mount them deeper into the grill so they dont look like buck teeth from the side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hg.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	9326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cx.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	9327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hgfds.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	9328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vbfd.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	9329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	9330  

Vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk