Thread: How to coil on plug / coil near plug with hondarulez coil on plug controller part 1

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

How-to: coil on plug / coil near plug with hondarulez coil on plug controller part 1

I'm going to show you the basic tools materials and how I did everything to do my coil near plug conversion. With the external hondarulez coil on plug controller. I'm not going to tell you the pros and cons or why this setup is best that's what Google's is for.
    Warning this conversion is not for everyone. First and foremost the car must be fuel injected and converted to OBD1. Majority of these pictures are mine but some of them are not and most of the information come from Ferenc Mikula (hondarulez creator) Johnny CK Loo ( filmwear software tester) steven simmons ( Simmons tuning and performance) this is going to be a two-part deal. Part 1 will be the old external discontinued hondarulez coil on plug controller. Part two will be the latest technology coil on plug Mini

(Tools) basic hand tools, Phillips head screwdriver, wire strippers, Barrel crimper tool, soldering iron, heat gun, scissors, terminal depinning tool,

(Materials) hondarulez coil on plug controller, boomslang fabrication jumper harness or a Ebay jumper harness repinned. approximately 45 ft of 20 gauge mil-spec wire, used for the coil triggers. approximately 20 ft of 16 gauge mil-spec wire use for power and ground wires. You can probably use regular automotive wire to keep cost down. Braided wire loom, cloth wire loom tape, glue shrink tube or regular shrink tube, 4 LS2 GM truck coils, coil bracket to bolt to the head. or you can make your own or Chris (Cygnus X-1) may still have some for sale. Optional 4-pin Molex connector and bullet connectors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1544881803685.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	9295

We'll start off with the controller and controller pigtail. The controller has a total of 15 pins pin 6, 12, and 14 will not be used. If your controller did not come with a pre soldered 15 pin connector you'll have to do a little soldering. It's recommended to use some sort of shielded wire for the 15 pin connector and be sure to keep it under 10 inches Long.

Name:	PSX_20181218_192614.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	9296

Once you get that done. Be sure to label all your wires with your wire marker pad. then It will be time to join your controller pigtail with your jumper harness.

Name:	received_2024861544194805.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	9297

The above picture is the install of the old controller with very high success. Follow the chart for OBD1 column. Wire splice it into your ECU jumper harness. For the box that says A21/A22, choose A21. On the jumper harness Cut it in half and then proceed to connect one wire pin 11 of the controller pigtail towards the ECU and the other pin 10 going towards engine. In the box that says B2/B16 use B16 and that will be pin 15 of the controller. Pins 2 through 5 I use a Molex 4 pin connector. That will be your 4 coil signals. The rest you splice into existing wire. Pin1=A25 Pin7=B11 Pin8=B15 Pin9=A24 Pin13=B10. Always solder your connections.

Once that's complete it'll be time to gut our distributor of removing the cap rotor igniter and coil if you're using an internal coil distributor.

Name:	received_606970532998203.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	9298

Once the igniter is removed you're going to splice / join the blue wire and the yellow with green stripe wire together. I cut the flag terminals off and slid it through the rubber grommet and hook them up like so.

Name:	received_574529859654627.jpeg 
Views:	542 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	9303

The wire next to this one will now be your power for your coils. The remaining wires left from your igniter go ahead and cut the flag terminals off and slide them through the rubber grommet. Now it will be time to build our engine coil harness. It's best to have your coil bracket bolted up so you know the distance between coils and how longer your wire needs to be.

We'll start with our 16-gauge wire and make our grounds and power to the coils. Lay one strip a wire across your coils be sure to solder three wires on as these pictures below. You'll make two of these like this.

Name:	PSX_20181215_092822.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	9300

The next one you make will look like this except it will have about 10 to 12 foot of wire coming off of it. It's going to be your sensor ground and it's going to run all the way back to the jumper harness and hook into B2. That gives us a total of three wires and the LS2 coil take a total of 4 which the last wire your ad will be the signal coil triggers.

Name:	received_2061423563871936.jpeg 
Views:	475 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	9301

This is a picture looking into the coil.(A)is your ground that you ground to the Head or distributor Bolt. (B) is your signal ground and will run all the way back to the jumper harness splice into B2. (C) is your coil trigger signal for cylinder 1 through 4. (D) is your power to power to coils it'll be one of the wires that come from the two pin plug from your distributor

Name:	received_1620866901347091.jpeg 
Views:	427 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	9302

Now be sure to take your multimeter and test all your wires to be sure your connections are 100% if everything looks good now you can wrap it with wire loom tape. Add braided wire loom and Shrink tube your ends. Crimp and solder your LS2 connectors to your wire along with your 4-pin Molex connector. And repeat your testing with your multimeter to be sure everything's good.
    Then add your Billet distributor cap and fire it
    Last edited by Shane86; 12-25-2018 at 01:46 AM.

Vehicle

Re: How to coil on plug / coil near plug with hondarulez coil on plug controller part

I'm only allowed eight pictures per post. This is how your wire should be spliced and soldered into the jumper harness

Name:	received_2024861674194792.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	9307 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_2024861687528124.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	9308

and this is how your harness should end up looking like

Name:	FB_IMG_1545205598122.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	9304 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1545205616227.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	9305

And this controller will also work for the B swap guys you'll just build your harness little different and most likely be using K20 coils.
    And if you're using a modified distributor that changes the firing order you will need to redrill the key

Name:	PSX_20181219_144132.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	9309

or swap plug wires around or build your harness a little different. That'll be it for now I'll be sure to keep this updated clean it up as best as possible. Part 2 will be next

Name:	Screenshot_20181218-024314.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	9306

To be continued
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 12-19-2018 at 06:04 PM.

Vehicle

Re: How to coil on plug / coil near plug with hondarulez coil on plug controller part

All right we're going to go ahead and start part 2. coil on plug mini. it's the latest technology that is available on the market today. The wiring is going to be just a little bit different. We're going to need all the same basic tools and approximately the same amount of wire as above. Except you'll need a female 6 pin micro Molex connector. It will plug into the coil on plug mini for the RPM and 1 through 4 coil signals. First thing you're going to want to do is gut your distributor like above except this time we're (not) going to jump the blue and yellow with green stripe wire. Once you remove the igniter you're going to want to remove all the wires that hooked up to the igniter we're going to need that 2 pin plug connector to build our harness. Start off by making your power and Main ground wire for coils like recently.

Name:	PSX_20181215_092747.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	9310 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	377 
ID:	9311

Now we're going to add an extra wire To Rundown next to our power of the coils. The white wire in the picture

Name:	PSX_20181215_092949.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	9312

this white wire will run with the 1 through 4 coil signals all the way back to the ECU. Now with the two pin connector we removed from our distributor that will now go on our white and yellow wire.

Name:	PSX_20181219_150942.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	9313

and add your coil signal wires 1 through 4. Go ahead and add your ring terminal to your main ground that will go to the head or the distributor Bolt. And also add your last ground wire that will run all the way back to the ECU and ground at B2.

Name:	PSX_20181219_151234.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	9314

like before check your connections with your multimeter make sure everything's legit. If everything's good you can go ahead and wrap your wires with wire loom tape.

Name:	PSX_20181219_151025.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	9316

And prepare to crimp and solder your connectors. The white RPM wire and coils signal 1 through 4 will go to the micro Molex 6 pin connector.

Name:	PSX_20181219_174921.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	9315

after you get that right go ahead and add your wire loom and that'll be it for the harness.

Name:	PSX_20181219_151052.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	9317

That means you'll have a total of 5 wires running to your 6 pin micro Molex connector and one wire that runs and get splice into B2 at your jumper harness.
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 12-19-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Excellent work. I did some light editing for readability and...

Stickied.

So are you going to mount a trigger wheel or are you using the existing crank sensor within the old distributor? Can't wait to see everything mounted up and working!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Alright our next step will be soldering inn are 12 pin header plate to the board. It's best to remove the ECU board completely from the ECU casing. Desolder the 12 holes and solder in the 12 pin header.

Name:  PSX_20181219_190247.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  38.6 KB

we will lay are ecu board in the casing to see where we have to cut our Notch and drill our hole.

Name:	PSX_20181219_183907.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	9319

once we get our Notch cut and hole drilled install are nylon spacer and screws to hold the coil on plug board secure to the casing. Our last step will be soldering the purple wire to A21 are old igniter signal. and the yellow wire to A25 for power.

Name:	PSX_20181219_183833.jpg 
Views:	799 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	9320

that's about it here's a video from Burton Racing to give a better visual on it. https://youtu.be/fbdDru5nhn0

That will complete our how to coil on plug coil near plug conversion
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 12-20-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Excellent work. I did some light editing for readability and...

Stickied.

So are you going to mount a trigger wheel or are you using the existing crank sensor within the old distributor? Can't wait to see everything mounted up and working!
    Awesome thanks. it will run off the obd1 Distributors three sensors. TDC,CYP and CKP
    Last edited by Shane86; 12-19-2018 at 06:34 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Shane86 View Post
    Awesome thanks. it will run off the obd1 Distributors three sensors. TDC,CYP and CKP
    yeah that was my question What distributor? although its obvious to me.

Any reason you can use the stock one I assume the signals are the same.

Great write up!

ill expect the k20 sawp one by New year I would assume.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    yeah that was my question What distributor? although its obvious to me.

Any reason you can use the stock one I assume the signals are the same.

Great write up!

ill expect the k20 sawp one by New year I would assume.
    Sorry for the late reply. that is a good question. I believe the pre obdo vacuum advance distributor is missing a sensor. if we were able to add a crank Trigger or a cam trigger we could possibly make it work with the stock distributor. If we were able to replace the three sensors that the OBD1 distributor has we could possibly get rid of the distributor completely

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

The stock dizzie has a cam sensor integrated into it.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

The stock dizzie has a cam sensor integrated into it.
    Then it may be possible to use the stock distributor. If anybody would like to donate a stock fuel injected distributor I'll be more than happy to test with it.
    Last edited by Shane86; 12-24-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I got one Ill see you next weekend.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

I got one Ill see you next weekend.
    Sounds good

Vehicle
    88 LXi

If you got an update how this is running that be great.

Very weird I never did find my spare distributor that I promised you. I loose stuff alot but this ones never showed up. Now my missing angle grinder I found under my house in the crawl space a few years later...

have you every looked into just using an encoder off the cam for all this?
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

If you got an update how this is running that be great.

Very weird I never did find my spare distributor that I promised you. I loose stuff alot but this ones never showed up. Now my missing angle grinder I found under my house in the crawl space a few years later...

have you every looked into just using an encoder off the cam for all this?
    As far as an update I drive the car everyday. It runs great besides one of the cheap coils that went out they are now replaced with MSD. I never really looked into it anymore after that

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Well cool, that sounds like it pretty reliable deal.

I feel like the stock distributors replacement parts are going to dry up so this is a potential replacement for that.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

Update additional information needed to be added for cop Mini. Resistor J12 must be cut at one end or disorder completely from the board

Name:	received_174856204500085.jpeg 
Views:	256 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	10743

Vehicle

And I am now offering Hondarulez cop minikits for the Aseries B series D series f. And H obd1. Prices will be $340 for cop mini module and plug-and-play harness. Or 370 shipped installed into a provided OBD1 ECU.

Name:	Screenshot_20210407-215248.png 
Views:	221 
Size:	472.5 KB 
ID:	10744

Name:	Screenshot_20210427-003247.png 
Views:	258 
Size:	1,013.6 KB 
ID:	10745

Name:	Screenshot_20210427-002805.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	668.1 KB 
ID:	10746

Vehicle

First start up coil on plug Mini

Vehicle

Re: How-to: coil on plug / coil near plug with hondarulez coil on plug controller par

Quote Originally Posted by Shane86 View Post
    I'm going to show you the basic tools materials and how I did everything to do my coil near plug conversion. With the external hondarulez coil on plug controller. I'm not going to tell you the pros and cons or why this setup is best that's what Google's is for.
    Warning this conversion is not for everyone. First and foremost the car must be fuel injected and converted to OBD1. Majority of these pictures are mine but some of them are not and most of the information come from Ferenc Mikula (hondarulez creator) Johnny CK Loo ( filmwear software tester) steven simmons ( Simmons tuning and performance) this is going to be a two-part deal. Part 1 will be the old external discontinued hondarulez coil on plug controller. Part two will be the latest technology coil on plug Mini

(Tools) basic hand tools, Phillips head screwdriver, wire strippers, Barrel crimper tool, soldering iron, heat gun, scissors, terminal depinning tool,

(Materials) hondarulez coil on plug controller, boomslang fabrication jumper harness or a Ebay jumper harness repinned. approximately 45 ft of 20 gauge mil-spec wire, used for the coil triggers. approximately 20 ft of 16 gauge mil-spec wire use for power and ground wires. You can probably use regular automotive wire to keep cost down. Braided wire loom, cloth wire loom tape, glue shrink tube or regular shrink tube, 4 LS2 GM truck coils, coil bracket to bolt to the head. or you can make your own or Chris (Cygnus X-1) may still have some for sale. Optional 4-pin Molex connector and bullet connectors.

Name:	FB_IMG_1544881803685.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	9295

We'll start off with the controller and controller pigtail. The controller has a total of 15 pins pin 6, 12, and 14 will not be used. If your controller did not come with a pre soldered 15 pin connector you'll have to do a little soldering. It's recommended to use some sort of shielded wire for the 15 pin connector and be sure to keep it under 10 inches Long.

Name:	PSX_20181218_192614.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	9296

Once you get that done. Be sure to label all your wires with your wire marker pad. then It will be time to join your controller pigtail with your jumper harness.

Name:	received_2024861544194805.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	9297

The above picture is the install of the old controller with very high success. Follow the chart for OBD1 column. Wire splice it into your ECU jumper harness. For the box that says A21/A22, choose A21. On the jumper harness Cut it in half and then proceed to connect one wire pin 11 of the controller pigtail towards the ECU and the other pin 10 going towards engine. In the box that says B2/B16 use B16 and that will be pin 15 of the controller. Pins 2 through 5 I use a Molex 4 pin connector. That will be your 4 coil signals. The rest you splice into existing wire. Pin1=A25 Pin7=B11 Pin8=B15 Pin9=A24 Pin13=B10. Always solder your connections.

Once that's complete it'll be time to gut our distributor of removing the cap rotor igniter and coil if you're using an internal coil distributor.

Name:	received_606970532998203.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	9298

Once the igniter is removed you're going to splice / join the blue wire and the yellow with green stripe wire together. I cut the flag terminals off and slid it through the rubber grommet and hook them up like so.

Name:	received_574529859654627.jpeg 
Views:	542 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	9303

The wire next to this one will now be your power for your coils. The remaining wires left from your igniter go ahead and cut the flag terminals off and slide them through the rubber grommet. Now it will be time to build our engine coil harness. It's best to have your coil bracket bolted up so you know the distance between coils and how longer your wire needs to be.

We'll start with our 16-gauge wire and make our grounds and power to the coils. Lay one strip a wire across your coils be sure to solder three wires on as these pictures below. You'll make two of these like this.

Views:	371 
ID:	9300

The next one you make will look like this except it will have about 10 to 12 foot of wire coming off of it. It's going to be your sensor ground and it's going to run all the way back to the jumper harness and hook into B2. That gives us a total of three wires and the LS2 coil take a total of 4 which the last wire your ad will be the signal coil triggers.

Name:	received_2061423563871936.jpeg 
Views:	475 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	9301

This is a picture looking into the coil.(A)is your ground that you ground to the Head or distributor Bolt. (B) is your signal ground and will run all the way back to the jumper harness splice into B2. (C) is your coil trigger signal for cylinder 1 through 4. (D) is your power to power to coils it'll be one of the wires that come from the two pin plug from your distributor

Name:	received_1620866901347091.jpeg 
Views:	427 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	9302

Now be sure to take your multimeter and test all your wires to be sure your connections are 100% if everything looks good now you can wrap it with wire loom tape. Add braided wire loom and Shrink tube your ends. Crimp and solder your LS2 connectors to your wire along with your 4-pin Molex connector. And repeat your testing with your multimeter to be sure everything's good.
    Then add your Billet distributor cap and fire it
    A stand-alone plug-and-play harness can be built for the original controller as well

Name:	20210423_100743.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	398.7 KB 
ID:	10747

Name:	20210425_061317.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	327.8 KB 
ID:	10748

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Looks great Mr.A20!
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

Thanks brother

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Excellent work!
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Excellent work!
    Thanks boss

DX User
    Vehicle
    Acura Integra

Hi Shane nice write up. I had purchased a Burton racing cop and I’m having a hard time getting it to start.
    I gone through their trouble shooting but to still no avail.
    My setup is like this. I have a P28 OBD1 ecu. I had Burton install the hondarulez mini cop onto the board.
    Have taken out the igniter from the distributor and rotor. I’m not sure if my distributor is an obd1 or 2. Not sure if there is any difference. My engine is a b18b vtec. The chassis is a obd2 integre but I’m timing the ecu off a jumper. Burton has told me to unpin my a21 a22 pins on the ecu. Not sure why though. This is my icm but don’t i need this?
    I’m trying to pin down what i need to focus on to get this started. I’m getting power and have good ground. I’ve verified this with the volt meter.
    When i try to start i notice that the mini cop board only shows a amber led light. There are no other lights showing.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Tag2k View Post
    Hi Shane nice write up. I had purchased a Burton racing cop and I’m having a hard time getting it to start.
    I gone through their trouble shooting but to still no avail.
    My setup is like this. I have a P28 OBD1 ecu. I had Burton install the hondarulez mini cop onto the board.
    Have taken out the igniter from the distributor and rotor. I’m not sure if my distributor is an obd1 or 2. Not sure if there is any difference. My engine is a b18b vtec. The chassis is a obd2 integre but I’m timing the ecu off a jumper. Burton has told me to unpin my a21 a22 pins on the ecu. Not sure why though. This is my icm but don’t i need this?
    I’m trying to pin down what i need to focus on to get this started. I’m getting power and have good ground. I’ve verified this with the volt meter.
    When i try to start i notice that the mini cop board only shows a amber led light. There are no other lights showing.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    On your coil on plug mini are the two wires that come from it soldered into a25 and A21. You might want to try to find me on Facebook Messenger Brandon Patterson Fort Walton Beach Florida