Thread: B18C Swap?

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord

B18C Swap?

Hey guys, so i have an '86 DX all stock and i was wondering what kind of issues I'd run into and or how to solve them if going for a B18C swap. Been kind of looking into it and the engine I'm looking at has an S80 tranny as well as a P73 ecu. I do know there is a kit for hydro to cable for the S80 but idk if its worth it. Also the P73 is OBD2 and the accord is still of course OBD0. lol Also if other swaps would be more easier/beneficial I'm open to ideas. Mainly wanted the B18C cuz... type r and power... but this all seems like one big headache. I've never done anything major mechanically for any car in general so this is all overwhelming.

LX User

Re: B18C Swap?

Quote Originally Posted by MadlifeProdigy View Post
    Hey guys, so i have an '86 DX all stock and i was wondering what kind of issues I'd run into and or how to solve them if going for a B18C swap. Been kind of looking into it and the engine I'm looking at has an S80 tranny as well as a P73 ecu. I do know there is a kit for hydro to cable for the S80 but idk if its worth it. Also the P73 is OBD2 and the accord is still of course OBD0. lol Also if other swaps would be more easier/beneficial I'm open to ideas. Mainly wanted the B18C cuz... type r and power... but this all seems like one big headache. I've never done anything major mechanically for any car in general so this is all overwhelming.
    Lol yea, if you haven’t atleast changed as much as a water pump or timing belt, it’ll be a big ol’ headache. I’d suggest getting a built a20 (same motor you have). That way you can just pull out the one you have and drop in the built one. That’s my opinion. But if you wanna take on a challenge and spend some BIG time/BIG money, go right ahead and get a type r engine. The rewards will be amazing.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by gcovarrubias412 View Post
    Lol yea, if you haven’t atleast changed as much as a water pump or timing belt, it’ll be a big ol’ headache. I’d suggest getting a built a20 (same motor you have). That way you can just pull out the one you have and drop in the built one. That’s my opinion. But if you wanna take on a challenge and spend some BIG time/BIG money, go right ahead and get a type r engine. The rewards will be amazing.
    Yeah the B18C makes some nice power and i think it'd be pretty wild for an old accord to have a type r motor. Also the all the aftermarket parts i think are easier to find for the B motors that the A right?

LX User

Yeah the B18C makes some nice power and i think it'd be pretty wild for an old accord to have a type r motor. Also the all the aftermarket parts i think are easier to find for the B motors that the A right?
    Definitely wild lol. Yes they are, however it’ll be a challenge to modify an old accord to fit the needs of a b18, thats a 10+ year difference

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by gcovarrubias412 View Post
    Definitely wild lol. Yes they are, however it’ll be a challenge to modify an old accord to fit the needs of a b18, thats a 10+ year difference
    Well the only thing i can think of that could be a major issue are engine mounts which there are some made by Innovative Mounts that makes a B series fit into the 3G.

LX User

Well the only thing i can think of that could be a major issue are engine mounts which there are some made by Innovative Mounts that makes a B series fit into the 3G.
    As well as electrical components. You gotta deal with different style connectors, voltage differences. Doable, but at what cost?!

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

Yes it's going to be a little pricey and a little bit of work. If I were to do a swap it be the b18c5 also. Good luck with the project looking forward to updates on it

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by Shane86 View Post
    Yes it's going to be a little pricey and a little bit of work. If I were to do a swap it be the b18c5 also. Good luck with the project looking forward to updates on it
    Haven't started on anything yet. Just trying to get some info to see if its worth it or not. Hopefully going to be swapping it this upcoming year. I'll for sure be posting updates on it when i start.

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

As far as aftermarket support. It will be worth it in the long run being able to get any kind of Parts

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

A b18c5 is going to cost you a bit too, that's not even adding in the transmission. If you get a hydro clutch, got to work that in as ours are cable.
    Just be wary of what you're getting into. It's going to cost ALOT, there will be problems such as fitment issues, having to fab things, etc etc. As long as you're ready for that sort of thing, go for it.

As for aftermarket, yea there is a literal shit ton of support still for the B engines.
    The biggest thing I've come across with the A engine is there is no bottom end support anymore at all. No off the shelf pistons, rods, crank, etc. That's my roadblock atm since I'm looking into going boost and the bottom end can only take so much.
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by InAccordance View Post
    A b18c5 is going to cost you a bit too, that's not even adding in the transmission. If you get a hydro clutch, got to work that in as ours are cable.
    Just be wary of what you're getting into. It's going to cost ALOT, there will be problems such as fitment issues, having to fab things, etc etc. As long as you're ready for that sort of thing, go for it.

As for aftermarket, yea there is a literal shit ton of support still for the B engines.
    The biggest thing I've come across with the A engine is there is no bottom end support anymore at all. No off the shelf pistons, rods, crank, etc. That's my roadblock atm since I'm looking into going boost and the bottom end can only take so much.
    Yeah fabbing things isn't really my forte. If there are easier swaps i'd go for it. I feel like my engine now is on its way out, just found water in the oil and it has overheated 2-3 times in the past 2 years. Needless to say I've been neglecting it for a while too... oops. So swapping looked to be a better option since like everyone is saying, there is a ton of aftermarket support for the B's. No more love for the A's, sometimes remind me of a horse drawn carriage. lol

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

Well if you do end up swapping it, I need a few things off an A motor so hit me up =P
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by InAccordance View Post

This is a good point to note about cable/vs. hydro. What you need to know is that on B-Series transmissions, the Innovative mounts ONLY bolt onto a cable trans, so using a hydro will take not only a refabbed clutch pedal system, but also a new transmission mount. Trust me, I have 3 transmissions because I didn't realize that going in.

And currently, my B18B1 has cost me $3500, and I'm assuming that getting it all good to go will ballpark close to $4k. Just so you're aware.
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

Build thread! https://www.3geez.com/forum/project-...upe-build.html
    [SIGPIC]